X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

GI Joe Returns

This rather mysterious trade ad from December 1981 is the first thing I can find that heralds the return of the GI Joe brand to toy stores. I don't recall seeing the figures much before March of '82, where 11 year old me pined for Kung Fu grip but still fell in love with the comic book.For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

As a fan of the 70s GIJoe, I waited w/ anticipation for the cartoon series. But I was greatly disappointed. Gone were the fuzzhead Adventure Team guys. They were replaced by a strike force and (in my opinion) had NOTHING to do w/ the concept of GIJoe. Yes, I know the original GIJoe was a soldier, but as a 70s kid I missed the GIJoe I watched my cousins play with and from the Adventure Team story records and View-Master reels.

(Sorry 80s babies).
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
      Persistent Member
      • Apr 28, 2013

My mom bought me all the first series from Sears or Woodwards. I was super excited to get them, but I held out hope that Super Joe, Bulletman, Atomic Mike were going to make appearances.

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

I was a little too young for when the 12-inch GI Joe was in stores, but my older brothers had a bunch and I loved playing with their hand-me-downs. Since you couldn't buy them at the stores, I used to ask for Santa to bring me GI Joes... you know, because he could just make them in his workshop (which for some reason resulted in my mom suddenly having to scour countless garage sales). Then one day, my mom sat me down and read me an article in the newspaper about how Hasbro was bringing back GI Joe and this time it would be a 3 3/4" inch plastic figure. I was maybe 7, but I still remember it clear as day. It was torture having to wait until they came out... and I worried because they were going to be a different style than the Joes I played with... but I got a Grunt as soon as they came out, and I was immediately hooked. For me, GI Joe is one of those rare brands where it changed radically from 12-inch solider to Adventure Team to Super Joe to Real American Hero and somehow managed to stay awesome in all its different versions.

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

I had zero interest in G.I. Joe until RAH came out and it was all due to Cobra. I thought Destro was just about the coolest villain ever. Cobra B.A.T.s were awesome too, and I also loved the whole Serpentor storyline. The idea of genetically engineering this guy from history's most evil conquerors was brilliant.

And all those awesome vehicles! The H.I.S.S. tanks were my favorite.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I like some of the characters, particularly the villains, but the figure format doesn't grab me.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• VintageJoe70
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 12, 2016

Dang, I got all excited when I saw that heading...lol...thought Hasbro was gonna surprise us...
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• VintageJoe70
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 12, 2016

Originally posted by sprytel
                I was a little too young for when the 12-inch GI Joe was in stores, but my older brothers had a bunch and I loved playing with their hand-me-downs. Since you couldn't buy them at the stores, I used to ask for Santa to bring me GI Joes... you know, because he could just make them in his workshop (which for some reason resulted in my mom suddenly having to scour countless garage sales). Then one day, my mom sat me down and read me an article in the newspaper about how Hasbro was bringing back GI Joe and this time it would be a 3 3/4" inch plastic figure. I was maybe 7, but I still remember it clear as day. It was torture having to wait until they came out... and I worried because they were going to be a different style than the Joes I played with... but I got a Grunt as soon as they came out, and I was immediately hooked. For me, GI Joe is one of those rare brands where it changed radically from 12-inch solider to Adventure Team to Super Joe to Real American Hero and somehow managed to stay awesome in all its different versions.
                That's basically how I feel...I have loved Joe in all his incarnations...from painted head to painted head, although a smaller one...the thing that made the small Joe's for me were the whole line of vehicles and the incredible artwork...

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

Love, love that Trade ad! I'd never seen it, until now. Thanks! It was a bit magically for me when these RAH Joes came out in 1982. I had some of the 12 inches Joes, when I was very young, but these guys came out right before I turned 8. The timing was perfect.

- Ian
                  Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

I had no idea GI Joe existed before 1982. I resisted the toys and comics for about a year because I wasn't a military guy... but it was tempting! There was just enough of super-heroics and sci-fi in it to call to me. I eventually answered that call with the first TV mini-series, and then I was hooked. My first figures were Duke, Blowtorch and Zartan with his swamp skier thingee. Poor Zartan succumb to my dad's lawnmower, and I learned a valuable lesson about ALWAYS picking up my toys!

That ad is flat awesome.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                      I had no idea GI Joe existed before 1982. I resisted the toys and comics for about a year because I wasn't a military guy... but it was tempting! There was just enough of super-heroics and sci-fi in it to call to me.
                      That's exactly what I loved about it. I also think G.I. Joe NEEDED something like Cobra. We weren't at war with anyone in 1982, and soldiers need someone to fight. By giving Joe an entire cast of bad guys it made for better storytelling and play scenarios.

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

Yup. Similar story here. The focus was (especially in later waves) more fantasy/military than realistic soldiers. Even wave 1 had the Laser Rifle trooper. I think the appeal was that the bad guys added an element of the bizarre, and danced the line between military and superhero play.

Plus, no one in the cartoon ever got killed.

I sold off mine a decade or so ago. Sometimes I miss 'em, but I've focused on other things I loved more. Mego WGSH for example.

Comment

• VintageJoe70
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 12, 2016

I remember the first time I saw the RAH Joes In a store on a peg rack...it was at a Drug Fair store back in 1982, before Drug Fair changed to CVS...at least here in Virginia anyway...from what I recall I was hooked right away...

Comment

• acrovader
                            Career Member
                            • Jan 19, 2011

I grew up with the RAH G.I. Joe and I remember that day back in 1982 when my mom came home from shopping and gave me my first RAH Joe (or Joes, since she had bought several that day). I can't relate to the 1970s GI Joe, but I like and collect Super Joe.
                            I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

The cartoon was awesome. The toys were awesome. Even though she lacked the ponytail of the cartoon I loved that there actually was a figure of Scarlett. At the time, action figure lines left female characters out a lot. Covergirl even came with a vehicle. I was then really impressed with Baroness came out. I had not see long hair molded that nicely before. Still a great looking figure.
                              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎