X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • huedell
    Museum Ball Eater
    • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by MIB41
    It was clear this was a first time effort by a director that had more inspiration than ability to execute it properly. Surprising too since Shatner is such a good writer who often comes up with great ideas. He seemed to be lost here for a strong story arc.
    I think the answer here is that the craft of "great ideas" being woven seamlessly into "story" is a much more challenging work than many realize

That "ideas into story" weaving can actually "polish a you-know-what".

And that "you know what" polishing is what a good script doctor does... and not the kind that merely does dialogue punch-ups for more "wit".... they have to do it to improve the hero's character consistency, the villain's as well, and finally. the other character archetypes and how that ALL plays into the story overall.
    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Under another director, I think Trek V could have been spared all the venom spewed at it for the past 30 years. Not that Shatner is a horrible director, but this was his first major motion picture after some TV work on TJ Hooker. A seasoned director may have figured out how to handle the obstacles thrown at him: writer's strike; teamster's strike, and teamster's sabotage when they went ahead with non-union workers; unavailability of ILM on the effects, and the choice of a poor effects house as a sub; the studio cutting the budget as the movie went along, etc.

Nicholas Meyer probably would have seen a great Trek V through, based on Shatner's story. He also would have polished the script up more. Look what he did with Star Trek VI in less than a year's tme from hiring to release!!!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        Not that Shatner is a horrible director...
        But he is...
        sigpic

Comment

• huedell
          Museum Ball Eater
          • Dec 31, 2003

Well... the word "horrible" is relative... and, maybe Shatner is a "horrible" director... but, maybe only a HIGHLY horrible Director could foul-up a HIGHLY polished script.

Again... for the record... these quantifiers are all relative.

EDITED TO ADD: So, is Meyer ever gonna do a Disney Star Wars, or what? I'm all in for that.
          Last edited by huedell; Feb 12, '17, 5:44 PM.
          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Spyweb007
            Persistent Member
            • Apr 18, 2006

This movie could benefit from a directors edition like they did with the Star Trek The Motion Picture, re done effects and maybe restore some of what had to be cut out.

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Spyweb007
              This movie could benefit from a directors edition like they did with the Star Trek The Motion Picture, re done effects and maybe restore some of what had to be cut out.
              I DO agree with this. I think it should be updated. Would be a measurably better film for the effects upgrade alone.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Careful opening that Pandora's box, because then you'd get a CGI "Rock-Man" sequence.

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ Yeah I have seen that. We can do without those effects.

Comment

• knight errant00
                    8 Inch Action Figure
                    • Nov 15, 2005

My favorite fan theory on Trek V is that it's all a dream -- that Kirk nods off on the camping trip, dreams this insane adventure, and wakes up again around the fire with Spock and Bones at the end. There's so much weird and off in this movie (fan dancing, too many decks and they're numbered wrong, all the odd moments and gags) that I think a David Lynch-style re-edit could really turn it around and into something dense and strange and interesting . . . Trek's first really experimental story.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by knight errant00
                      My favorite fan theory on Trek V is that it's all a dream -- that Kirk nods off on the camping trip, dreams this insane adventure, and wakes up again around the fire with Spock and Bones at the end. There's so much weird and off in this movie (fan dancing, too many decks and they're numbered wrong, all the odd moments and gags) that I think a David Lynch-style re-edit could really turn it around and into something dense and strange and interesting . . . Trek's first really experimental story.
                      The effects of way too much Saurian brandy, perhaps?
                      sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

My favorite fan theory on Trek V is that it's all a dream ---
                        ...or a nightmare...

sigpic

Comment

• rykerw1701
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by Hector
                          ...or a nightmare...

Ha! I so want to not hate that movie, but I just can't do it.

Comment

• Spyweb007
                            Persistent Member
                            • Apr 18, 2006

I think the all the elements are there for a good movie, but executed poorly in almost every case. The script needed one more pass, need the usual FX company, stage some scenes slightly better and you might have a good movie. The scenes with Sybock and Bones and then Kirk refusing to let Sybok take his pain away are actually pretty powerful and well done.

Comment

• Hedji
                              Citizen of Gotham
                              • Nov 17, 2012

The irony of your theory is uncanny. The script may agree with you. "Life is but a dream."

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎