X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Star Trek V Revisited

I joined my fellow Fire and Water Network buddy Siskoid on the latest Gimme That Star Trek podcast, and we discussed the good, the bad, and the worse about Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. But we honestly came from a place of love and admiration for SOME of the character moments in this film, so if you are so inclined, give it a listen. It think we gave it a pretty fair shake.

Siskoid and his co-hosts discuss Star Trek! Any show. Any medium. Any topic. Boldly going where many have gone before!

Chris
    sigpic
  • LardLad
    Museum Patron
    • Mar 13, 2012

You're a braver man than I. I caught that steaming pile in theaters - what a mess!

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Cool! I just came across this but I'm saving it for my morning listen Friday while I'm running reports. I look forward to this. I'll report in afterwards.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

while it may be the weakest of the Trek films, I like it. there are some great character moments and the film builds well but then just falls apart at the end. still, I have fond memories of seeing it in theaters and I have it in my collection and watch it now and then

Comment

• rykerw1701
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 27, 2007

I have ST V on DVD as well, just because I had all the original series movies on disc and my OCD tendencies wouldn't let me not have it. Every now and then, I try to watch it, and I always come away frustrated because it was such a let down after the excellent ST IV. I hated it when I saw it in the theater, and I hate it still. It's like trying to watch Superman IV or Batman Clooney. I love the characters and the actors, but those moves are all such a train wreck.

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

Great episode Chris! But first let me say if I never hear that Shatner disco mix again, I’ll probably still feel like it was one too many. LOL! Too funny.

My exposure to Trek actually started during it’s original run, but I can say without exception that my true interest didn’t begin until the show was running in syndication every Sunday back in the 70’s (and even then it was a slow burn to ignite my fondness). The funny part is I didn’t become fully invested until after the Mego’s came out. I guess as a kid, there was a kind of validation if a character was made into an action figure. When I saw Spock and Kirk, then the Enterprise play-set, I knew I wanted those for Christmas. So I guess we can say my lifelong fandom was born on that Christmas morning when I got the play-set, Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and the Klingon.

I feel allot like you that the films and the TV series pretty much go hand in hand as one singular narrative (At least those with the original cast). I use to feel the first film was a blemish because it tried too hard to be “modern” to fit with the other big picture sci-fi films of the day. The pajama outfits and curious corporate dialogue really betrayed the chemistry they had from the series. In addition, Spock having to take the whole film to warm to everyone felt over done in the character development. I get he was trying to purge himself of all human emotion, but he failed to do that in the beginning of the story, so why treat him like he had mastered it? It was odd seeing all of these iconic characters pretend like they had to get reacquainted.

But once the director’s cut came out and the series was re-mastered with effects updates and reedited to cut down on the drag from the original version, I was able to accept it better, although the character development remains very flawed (for me).

When Wrath of Khan came out, it was like all the light bulbs came on in the room for the writers and director. The chemistry was back and the story pulled directly from the series to show their allegiance to the show instead of running from it as the first film had tried to do.

Wrath and Search were two great stories that will forever be among my favorites. Both films full of emotion and great drama in space. The Voyage Home felt like a love letter to the fans. Just a great light-hearted story, but incredibly clever, that touched on all the charming nuances that made the original series so enduring. The series was really riding a wave of seeming invincibility in terms of a formula that had been mastered to perfection. Then the Final Frontier hit the theaters…

My initial reaction was probably best described as dumbfounded. The story was very uneven with subplots that seem to go no where. The acting was generally good, but there were times when it felt overdone as if the actors were trying to bring more to the scene than what was on the written page to compensate for a weak plot point. And if there is one great tragedy to this film, its how woefully underused David Warner is. Such an incredible actor to be offered what amounts to a cameo moment. At least that was rectified in Part 6. But I digress.

But what really kept taking me out of the story was Shatner’s insistence on applying humor at every turn. It really diluted scenes where the story was becoming engaging. I would be getting into the story and then BAM! Here comes a series of jokes where you can clearly see the actors no longer being serious, effectively killing whatever buildup had existed. It was obvious Shatner was trying to inject all the iconic traits of the series, but without any real cohesion. After a while the whole film felt very mechanical – Apply drama here, action here, insert comedy here. It was clear this was a first time effort by a director that had more inspiration than ability to execute it properly. Surprising too since Shatner is such a good writer who often comes up with great ideas. He seemed to be lost here for a strong story arc.

I’ve read the various accounts of underfunding for the film and how specifically that impacted the conclusion more dramatically than anywhere else. But in my mind, that shouldn’t have sunk what should have been more of a story driven plot to begin with. Had that script been properly constructed, I think the weaker effects could have been forgiven and likely would have been replaced today had fans felt the rest of picture was deserving of the upgrade.

But overtime I have grown to accept the film where it got certain story points right. The segment where Bones and Spock have to face their inner-most fears is executed very well. I thought those were handled nicely and demonstrated Shatner could manage scenes quite well when he had a strong vision and purpose.

I thought the general idea of the story was ambitious and worth telling, and it was well summarized at the end when Kirk is reflecting behind the ship wheel prop. It’s certainly not without its shining moments. And it definitely has heart and a positive message that injects the right tone from the series. So I can certainly watch it and appreciate where it’s trying to take me. Had the execution been better, this might have been a film that is coveted. But I recognize its potential and when it works, it works very well. If only I could edit where it doesn’t.

Again, great episode Chris! Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

I flippin' love Trek V.

That is all.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

I don't want to revisit Star Trek "row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream" V, lol...

Love both Nimoy and Kelly, bless both of them...just not in Trek V...

But since Shatner is still with us...

sigpic

Comment

• TrekStar
                  Trek or Treat
                  • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by Hector
                  I don't want to revisit Star Trek "row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream" V, lol...

Love both Nimoy and Kelly, bless both of them...just not in Trek V...

But since Shatner is still with us...

[img]http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/files/2016/02/f0e-590x590.jpg[/

I wonder if after Sulu took a sip of his coffee he simply said, "oh my"

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Hedji
                      I flippin' love Trek V.

That is all.
                      Me too. I think it's got some of the best character moments in the series...and the fact there's a lot of humor doesn't bother me a bit. It sets it apart tonally from other films in the series...especially since 2 and 3 were so serious...even depressing at times. I also love Sybok...great character.

And ONLY James T. Kirk would ask..."What does God need with a Starship?"

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Hedji
                        I flippin' love Trek V.

That is all.
                        Me too. I think it's got some of the best character moments in the series...and the fact there's a lot of humor doesn't bother me a bit. It sets it apart tonally from other films in the series...especially since 2 and 3 were so serious...even depressing at times. I also love Sybok...great character.

And ONLY James T. Kirk would ask..."What does God need with a Starship?"

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

I always thought the Klingon characters in ST V were cool.

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

Great Score. Colorful cinematography. Awesome character development, connecting back to TOS. A compelling new "villain". An alien entity that is not what it appears (very much in the spirit of TOS). Decent combat sequences. A spirit of fun with a heartfelt focus on the Big Three.

Are there "cheesy" moments? Of course there are. The Fan Dance and Scotty banging his head I could do without, but there are episodes from the original 79 that are just as cheesy in parts.

An unfairly maligned picture for decades.

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

One thing I always thought was stupid was over dubbing a woman's scream during the explosion of the junk probe.

I'm guessing it was put there to make the scene more dramatic but in the end it comes off just looking stupid

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎