X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spawn67
    Career Member
    • Aug 14, 2009

Plastic Army Men and other figures...

Who else here played with army men? Any other figures you have or had (fireman, Knights, etc)
    What were some of your favorite sets?
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

I did. I had a ton of them, but my two favorite playsets were both from Marx.

One was not your traditional army men though, it was Vikings vs. Knights....

which I got from my parents when I was about 7, and it got set up on a card table and played with almost every day for a year. I later used the figures and accessories as props in my D&D games, but alas I no longer have any of them.

The second I got a couple years later and it was the Navarone playset, also from Marx...

which I got for Christmas when I was 9 (so, '78) and had all the up to 7th grade, but it was gotten rid of then by my folks as part of one of our moves.

I had a bunch of other figures and vehicles, more traditional army men, some more modern soldier sets (more Viet Nam armaments and uniforms rather than WWII), and a lot of cowboys and Indians, but those were the only playsets and were by far the most played with of the army men I had.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Spawn67
      Career Member
      • Aug 14, 2009

I got the guns of navarone play set for Christmas in 1980. That mountain lasted until my parents sold there house in 2002 ( I really wish I kept it)
      My favorite player that I still have to this day is the Dragonriders of the river Styx play set that I got for Xmas in 1982..(I will never get rid of it..)
      Last edited by Spawn67; Feb 8, '17, 8:38 PM.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

I had the army men. They were great. However, the firemen were really great and I got a lot of use out of those. I remember being fascinated with them...examining the figures.

- Ian
        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Captain Big Trousers
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 14, 2012

I bought these guys a few months ago.

Even My Henchmen Think I'm Crazy.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I had some army men, knights, vikings, robots, etc. The drugstore on my street carried them in the rack toys section, so if I had some change burning a whole in my pocket and no new comics to get, I would indulge.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

Best Army Men Ever: https://www.amazon.com/TimMee-Galaxy.../dp/B00OR12BQ4

Comment

• rykerw1701
                Persistent Member
                • Aug 27, 2007

While I had the green army men, the Marx Ft. Apache set was my favorite. Hours and hours spent with that. I still remember the Christmas I got it, and I still have it to this day.

Comment

• Allie Fox
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 1, 2009

I too had the Fort Apache set and played with it until it fell apart.

I also had the Navarone set but I don't remember what happened to it. I know I used the American and German soldiers from that set along with my Girder and Panel set to create buildings to blow up and headquarters for each side.

I know that if they still made these things today (with the same quality as Marx Toys of the 70s) I would probably still play with them. When my son was four or five I bought him several buckets and bags of the cowboys and indians and we both had a blast playing together.
                  If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

Had lots of plastic soldiers as a kid... various styles and colours plus assorted vehicles like tanks, jeeps and trucks, etc.
                    Also had a bunch of medieval knights and a castle playset which had a wooden drawbridge. Played with that for many, many years.
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Falstaff13
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 28, 2008

This thread brings back memories for me of two playsets that fit this topic. One was a "Battle of the Bulge" set, with army men for Allied and Axis forces, plus, I think, a few tanks, along with cardboard backdrops of barbed wire, etc. The other was a medieval set with a castle that had a variety of (gray plastic) knights and warriors, along with some wizard figurines. I remember especially enjoying some catapults that came with it that worked with rubber bands.
                      Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                      Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                        Museum Paramedic
                        • Aug 31, 2005

You know, I had the Cowboys and Indians, as well!

- Ian
                        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Captain Big Trousers
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 14, 2012

My favourites were the Timpo figures, because you could swap parts around.

Also the Deetail soldiers. Good quality.

Even My Henchmen Think I'm Crazy.

Comment

• Spawn67
                            Career Member
                            • Aug 14, 2009

Had many of those Deetail soldiers. Green Berets, Red Berets, British Soldiers, and of course the German soldiers. I played with them a lot and I really wish I still had them..

Comment

• tay666
                              Career Member
                              • Dec 27, 2008

I of course had lots of green army men over the years.
                              They were everywhere in the early 70's.

The last of them met their fate when my best friend got his 22s.
                              We set up a backstop in his back yard with railroad ties. Then we would put those army men all over it.
                              Then we would go through box after box of ammo using those as target practice.
                              Didn't take long with a semi-auto rifle and a revolver.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎