Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

^ha. Yes, symbolic. Considering Iron Fist has been indevelopment since '03 with Lionsgate, Paul Walker had to be their dream pic.

Man...Lionsgate Iron Fist...Ray Park almost got that made...

Comment

• huedell
      Museum Ball Eater
      • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by hedrap
      ^ha. Yes, symbolic. Considering Iron Fist has been indevelopment since '03 with Lionsgate, Paul Walker had to be their dream pic.

Man...Lionsgate Iron Fist...Ray Park almost got that made...

Apologies... to any... if that was a bit outta line on my part, as, regardless of the wording, I was preeeeetty sure everyone knew of his untimely passing. RIP.

That said: I'm cool with the casting... and, here's my personal take why:

Always loved the Bronze Age team up of Iron Fist and Power Man... great childhood rack comic memories.

But comics were always a bit too adult for my Super Friends mind, so I never grew that familiar with comicbook background on characters... mostly I just got off on their visual look... and how cool it would be to have action figures of them.... ALL.

That said: In that one trailer, I got a "Last Dragon" Leroy Green vibe as in: "You're not Asian, but you love the Asian-grown art of combat." I love that "Daniel LaRusso" type archetype.

So, to me, as long as he isn't Asian, or isn't Power Man's race.... I think it works cool.

That said: I have no idea of if that's how he's portrayed in the comics.
      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• WannabeMego
        Made in the USA
        • May 2, 2003

"I Am Danny" Featurette

Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• cockyhoskins
          Career Member
          • Jan 13, 2009

I don't know... first reaction is meh! Iron Fist is one of my favorite characters, and I want to be amazed! I feel like it's going to take this weird UFC turn... not sure why! LOL

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
            valar morghulis
            • Mar 8, 2005

The show's first six eps have been screened by critics, and the show is getting hammered. I keep seeing the same two B-words.. boring and bad.

Here are some examples:

The Verge is about technology and how it makes us feel. Founded in 2011, we offer our audience everything from breaking news to reviews to award-winning features and investigations, on our site, in video, and in podcasts.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

I'm beginning to think not every character in the Defenders has a 12 episode story arc.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                Moderation Engineer
                • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by WannabeMego
                "I Am Danny" Featurette

They left off "Masterson"

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                  valar morghulis
                  • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                  They left off "Masterson"

Comment

• hedrap
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 10, 2009

Yeah. I've heard that from a genre critic whose seen it.

I couldn't care less about the cultural appropriation argument. Could they have made Danny Asian? sure. I was hoping Steven Yeun was Rand, but when the character is another billionaire there's little breathing room to explore. It's ironic when you consider how Marvel kissed Chinas arse for years and wrecked IM3 in exchange and here they had a character where the entire premise could have been Sino-based. A story about a Chinese Billionaire kid who forgoes his fortune would have been different just enough from Stark and Wayne.

Then you have Shang-Chi and Strange covering a lot of the same mystic ground...but the three don't interconnect?

The whole serialized concept is too drawn out for one storyline.

Comment

• huedell
                      Museum Ball Eater
                      • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by hedrap
                      I couldn't care less about the cultural appropriation argument. Could they have made Danny Asian? sure. I was hoping Steven Yeun was Rand, but when the character is another billionaire there's little breathing room to explore. It's ironic when you consider how Marvel kissed Chinas arse for years and wrecked IM3 in exchange and here they had a character where the entire premise could have been Sino-based. A story about a Chinese Billionaire kid who forgoes his fortune would have been different just enough from Stark and Wayne.
                      I don't want to blame the fictional mythos of Iron Man and Batman for lack of real writing talent (to make Iron Fist stand out uniquely), nor to placate SJWs. I've never been the "diplomatic" type, though
                      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 20, 2011

Wow. The critics are certainly having a field day with taking this show to task. It's only natural that eventually even Marvel is going to stumble and fall in it's massive buildup of characters from comics page to both small and large screen. I've not read any IRON FIST titles pretty much ever, but it does seem like this show would've been a no-brainer to cast someone of at least Asian descent in rather than handing the role to a fairly average looking white dude. Perhaps MARVEL was afraid of being accused of typecasting by giving the role to an oriental actor...?
                        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                          Perhaps MARVEL was afraid of being accused of typecasting by giving the role to an oriental actor...?
                          That's it, exactly.

They would have been better off producing Shang-Chi: The Iron Fist. Two characters as one can provide enough material to cover 12 hours. In America, he's Danny Ran. In China, he's Shang-Chi. He's the heir to the Tongs/Fu Manchu aka The Mandarin. He doesn't know which is his real identity, but possesses this innate fighting ability that eventually manifests as the Iron Fist.

Good lord, Strange and Fist were both shooting in New York of April 2016. How could they not connect him to the MCU through Wong and the Sanctum?

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                            Wow. The critics are certainly having a field day with taking this show to task. It's only natural that eventually even Marvel is going to stumble and fall in it's massive buildup of characters from comics page to both small and large screen. I've not read any IRON FIST titles pretty much ever, but it does seem like this show would've been a no-brainer to cast someone of at least Asian descent in rather than handing the role to a fairly average looking white dude. Perhaps MARVEL was afraid of being accused of typecasting by giving the role to an oriental actor...?
                            Oriental? As in rug?

If I refer to Asians in San Francisco Chinatown as orientals...I'd get jumped, lol.

Seriously, that's not a word they particularly like.

Aside from that...I personally don't have a problem with Danny Rand/Iron Fist still being White...but that actor looks so miscast, too soft, too boyish-looking. He doesn't seem very athletic either. The fight choreography is pretty average at best, it doesn't knock your socks off, he looks slow as heck too. They should've casted someone more tough-looking, more bardaze...like Tom Hardy...

Tom Hardy is a movie actor, but just used him as an example...someone like him.

Now that would've been a truly baddarze Iron Fist...

sigpic

Comment

• Spyweb007
                              Persistent Member
                              • Apr 18, 2006

The reviews are negative when compared to the other Marvel netflix shows, but it sounds like the show is not "bad", just not living up to the other Marvel stuff just yet. Hopefully it picks up some steam as it goes along.

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Hector
                                That caged Colleen Wing fight is slow and plodding...they should fire the fight choreographer. Disappointing.

The Elektra actress does a much better job in Daredevil.
                                Looks like I hit the nail on the head...as critics are all saying the fight scenes are really bad.

Not hard to believe...see that cage fight scene again...it's really slow, plodding, and uninspiring...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎