Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New boxed figures, any chance the boxes will be fixed?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

It's an 8-inch box for an 8-inch figure. If this is correct for all boxes, then it confirms they allocate zero resources into quality control.

Boxes don't need to be made overseas, and if they're not willing to consult with the Museum box kings...

I know we're all supposed to be ecstatic at everything they produce, but Museum members make better products. Better sculptors, suits, bodies, accessories, playsets, boxes...if FTC stuck to Hanna-Barbera designs, including Superfriends, they would be in a stronger spot.

Comment

• Heelz2315
      • Apr 9, 2010

Originally posted by hedrap
      It's an 8-inch box for an 8-inch figure. If this is correct for all boxes, then it confirms they allocate zero resources into quality control.

Boxes don't need to be made overseas, and if they're not willing to consult with the Museum box kings...

I know we're all supposed to be ecstatic at everything they produce, but Museum members make better products. Better sculptors, suits, bodies, accessories, playsets, boxes...if FTC stuck to Hanna-Barbera designs, including Superfriends, they would be in a stronger spot.
      Who said they were 6"?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, that's a shame. At this point I don't feel anyone is being overly dramatic with criticisms. The Mego community desperately wants to give FTC their money, but they keep dangling carrots that honestly have rotten spots on them.

I wish they'd slow down, address their problems and come back strong. The amount of material they've pushed out has to have an effect on time for QC. I have great respect for their enthusiasm, but their follow through is often lacking.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
          Persistent Member
          • Jun 22, 2011

I don't have any way to post pictures here. Sorry guys. Batman will stand strait up in the box but the top half of his head is covered. I tried every way I could with Supergirl... angled to the side, split legs, head angled to the side.... and I couldn't get the box closed with her legs straight. For the record I am a big supporter of FTC and buy a lot of their stuff so this is not me be unreasonably critical. This is a genuine QC issue that should not exist. These should have never been released like this.

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
            Wow, that's a shame. At this point I don't feel anyone is being overly dramatic with criticisms. The Mego community desperately wants to give FTC their money, but they keep dangling carrots that honestly have rotten spots on them.

I wish they'd slow down, address their problems and come back strong. The amount of material they've pushed out has to have an effect on time for QC. I have great respect for their enthusiasm, but their follow through is often lacking.

Chris
            ^^^ You're right Chris. And the thing is it's not like they don't read this every day or hear about it from other sources. I realize not everything is ultimately in their control, but these boxes have to be. It's good ole fashion math and turning in the right specs. And it's not like it stops with the height, width and depth. You also have to accurately space the window. I have no idea how that gets lost in the equation. Like I said before, I made blank boxes just to store lose figures and I had to create a master template that accounted for every detail. It's bizarre they didn't do the same thing for such a huge investment.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
              Often invisible
              • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Mego-Amigo
              I don't have any way to post pictures here. Sorry guys. Batman will stand strait up in the box but the top half of his head is covered. I tried every way I could with Supergirl... angled to the side, split legs, head angled to the side.... and I couldn't get the box closed with her legs straight. For the record I am a big supporter of FTC and buy a lot of their stuff so this is not me be unreasonably critical. This is a genuine QC issue that should not exist. These should have never been released like this.
              Just out of curiosity, what are the measurements of the box? Is it just too short or has the whole thing been scaled down?
              Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• markp67
                • Jun 22, 2010

Man, this is a huge bummer. I genuinely was ready to buy a bunch of figures I already had. I wonder if there's any chance they'd make a running change to address the issue?

Comment

• Gumby01
                  • Dec 7, 2015

I hate to sound like a broken record, but this is a huge disappointment. FTC had a simple and perfect opportunity to move some of there existing products, and so far this looks like it's going to be a failure. I was tempted to buy a set of 12 figures with the display box, but it's a no go for me unless they correct the boxes (which they probably won't, just like the over-sized heads). I'm not sure how they could screw-up something so simple. They even have the original boxes as a reference/template. DST and their retro sets are guilty as well.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

What I want to know is, how can they afford to keep screwing stuff up? Some offerings are lovely, and then *bam!* crap. Their boxes have never been sized correctly. I just can't comprehend.
                    Last edited by PNGwynne; Feb 7, '17, 4:36 PM.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                      Often invisible
                      • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                      What I want to know is, how can they afford to keep screwing stuff up? Some offerings are lovely, and then *bam!* crap. Their boxes have never been sized correctly. I just can't comprehend.
                      I'm sure it all still sells. There's a Facebook post with these on it and the majority of responses seem to be positive.

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jun 22, 2011

I have not measured the box but I don't think it is scaled down, just too short. Actually Supergirl's box is the same size as Batman's. The original Super Gal boxes were slimmer than the boxes for the guys. I agree completely that DST are guilty of this same thing. I was very happy with Spidey but when I saw Cap with the top of his head concealed in the box and that dangling star it was offensive and I hav'nt bought another one. This kind of inferior product shouldn't exist in this day and time. These are collectibles produced for adults and as much money as we pay for these things they should be right.

Comment

• Spyweb007
                          Persistent Member
                          • Apr 18, 2006

I'm a Graphic Designer and have worked at Hasbro in the past. This has to more than a simple mistake in measurements in my opinion. Working with these types of licenses requires that you adhere to pages and pages of legal and marketing guidelines which dictate everything from legal disclaimers to font sizes and logo placement and size. For this to happen not only with FTC but with EMCE's Captain America is too much of a coincidence, and has to be some sort of compromise between keeping the box the same size as the originals and still meeting the marketing and legal guidelines required. It's a problem that could probably be solved with some creative design work, but might require straying farther from the original Mego box designs to accomplish. Tough call on the best way to handle it.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                            Often invisible
                            • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Spyweb007
                            I'm a Graphic Designer and have worked at Hasbro in the past. This has to more than a simple mistake in measurements in my opinion. Working with these types of licenses requires that you adhere to pages and pages of legal and marketing guidelines which dictate everything from legal disclaimers to font sizes and logo placement and size. For this to happen not only with FTC but with EMCE's Captain America is too much of a coincidence, and has to be some sort of compromise between keeping the box the same size as the originals and still meeting the marketing and legal guidelines required. It's a problem that could probably be solved with some creative design work, but might require straying farther from the original Mego box designs to accomplish. Tough call on the best way to handle it.
                            OR, also speaking as a graphic designer, FTC used a DST box as their template. I could totally see that happening.

I have neither an FTC box nor an original box, so I have no actual idea.
                            Last edited by CrimsonGhost; Feb 7, '17, 6:34 PM.

Comment

• Spyweb007
                              Persistent Member
                              • Apr 18, 2006

OR, also speaking as a graphic designer, FTC used a DST box as their template. I could totally see that happening.

I have neither an FTC box nor an original box, so I have no actual idea.
                              Anything is possible, but even then hand made samples are usually made and approved before actual production begins, I spent 9 months mounting artwork, cutting and gluing together comp samples by hand. If a mistake like that slipped past everyone involved then they need better standards. Hard to be sure what the real reason is looking in from the outside. Maybe they should hire us

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                                Often invisible
                                • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Spyweb007
                                Anything is possible, but even then hand made samples are usually made and approved before actual production begins, I spent 9 months mounting artwork, cutting and gluing together comp samples by hand. If a mistake like that slipped past everyone involved then they need better standards. Hard to be sure what the real reason is looking in from the outside. Maybe they should hire us
                                HAHA!! Perhaps!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎