Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iron Mego
    Wake Up Heavy
    • Jan 31, 2010

Before just recently, you couldn't buy the heads and suits separately, so that wasn't an option.
    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Teemu
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by tllgn
      I personally think changing the bodies takes away what a mego is.true better quality plastic .and quality control could make a better product.but I like the FTC bodies despite some flaws .i have buying mego since the 70s.and its like mego continued.and like mentioned before.their an easy fix.I have repaired Dr mego /emce /bif bang pow/ figures for various reasons.and ftc bodies with the same problems.the only things I didn't like and were not worth repairing were the made in India ftc bodies..i don't have these s body's -soul be extremely expensive to replace so many figures.and for display not necessary.bandless bodies-that's just not a mego .i soul only use Dr mego bodies for emce figures like the marvel sets.and ftc made in china for ftc India and current figures.but that's just works for me.do what is best for your figures .the way you like them.toys are ment to be for fun.

I don't understand this mind set. Who cares if it's "not Mego"......I want figures in my collection that are build on quality and won't fall apart like FTC bodies have done. The FTC body is featherweight crap and feels CHEAP.

Putting these on high Quality, solid S-type bandless bodies still makes them "Mego" because the bodies are 99% the same but without the rubber bands.I don't collect these because of the whole "MEGO brand" style mind set, I buy them because the sculpts and outfits are great and the real fun of it is putting these on better bodies like they should of been from the start.

Way too many are collecting these worrying about "oh if you change out the body,it''s not original or Mego or It won't be worth as much"

Got news for ya...If you're are worrying about value,ALL these figures won't be worth crap in the future as nobody (but a very few) care about 8" mego style figures,not to mention that these figures are plentiful,always available and overproduced.Most collector's today are not interested.Kids today certainly are not interested. We'll be lucky enough to see Mego-like figures around in the next 20 years because the Mego generation is a dying generation.After most of us are too old or gone,nobody will care about our cheesy mego's anymore.

Originally posted by wise guy
      I don't switch out the bodies either since this is too expensive and I collect these as
      they are . When you switch a FTC figure to other bodies it becomes a custom so why buy
      FTC figures at all when you can buy the heads, and suits, and do it that way ?
      If little kids are going to play with them that might be a good reason because these
      are made for adult collectors. FTC has to make a better body if they wan't more collector's
      to buy. I have more broken EMCE bodies than FTC bodies
      People are already doing that

and S-types don't break ...that is just one of the greatness of those bodies
      Last edited by Teemu; Mar 16, '17, 12:53 PM.

Comment

• lilbrosj66
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 4, 2011

Originally posted by jacoblb
        Just some food for thought: I think you should consider keeping the broken parts. I realize you were frustrated, but lots of folks here could have helped or you could save things like that to trade or sell. It's a better alternative than throwing away into a landfill. Maybe FTC might have sent you a replacement figure too.

When I started here at the Museum a generous member on the board hooked me up with plenty of Mego parts so I could repair a broken body. For free. I forget, but I just needed an arm or leg. Just one. Instead, I was sent a quart sized ziploc bag full of various Mego parts. Good stuff too. Not dog chewed fodder.

I paid that forward by freely sending the next member who requested Mego parts the entire contents of the bag knowing full well--having verified--that what I shipped had the part he needed.

Anyway, that's the kind of community we have here.

And I'm sorry your figure broke.
        Great idea! Pay it forward and help people out with spare parts. What comes around goes around.

Comment

• TRDouble
          Permanent Member
          • Jul 10, 2012

I wish I was better at repairing the figures. Nothing I use is ever "just" right.

I alternate with using Type S bodies and keeping the stock FTC bodies. My preference is to keep the FTC body the figure comes on, just because it's cheaper! The Mego aspect means nothing to me because these are repros, not actual Mego produced. But some of the early DC bodies were soooo terrible, I started switching to Type S bodies. But as the FTC bodies have gotten better, I have kept more and more on the stock bodies; all of my 1966 figures, except Batman and Robin, are on the included body.

And that caused an issue because the figures on the Type S end up taller than the FTC bodies Can't win!

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I don't find the current FTC bodies especially deficient. Particularly in light of other production concerns.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎