Clear All
  • musasa
    • Mar 22, 2015

Wind-up/Friction Toys

Any other fans out there? Here are a few of mine:

• tay666
    Career Member
    • Dec 27, 2008

I have some wind-up / friction model kits.
    Does that count?

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

^That Tyrannosaurus is freaking awesome. Is it old or new?

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

^ I like it, too. I seem to recall having a motorized dimetrodon as a kid. Who did those, Tay?
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• J.B.
          Guild Navigator
          • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by musasa
          Any other fans out there? Here are a few of mine:
          Who is that putting the beat-down on King Ghidorah?
          You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• musasa
            • Mar 22, 2015

I believe it's Spectreman.

Those are some cool figures Tay!

Comment

• Grüner Pfeil
              Teen Titan
              • Feb 21, 2016

I have been collecting vintage wind-up toys from a certain German company for some years. If you'd like to see my collection just let me know. If I got some time the next days I could post a few pics.
              Last edited by Grüner Pfeil; Feb 7, '17, 8:19 AM.

Comment

• musasa
                • Mar 22, 2015

Originally posted by Grüner Pfeil
                I have been collecting vintage wind-up toys from a certain German company for some years. If you'd like to see my collection just let me know. If I got some time the next days I could post a few pics.
                Guten tag Grüner. Sure, I'd love to see them. I'll try to post more as well.

Comment

• tay666
                  Career Member
                  • Dec 27, 2008

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                  ^ I like it, too. I seem to recall having a motorized dimetrodon as a kid. Who did those, Tay?
                  Bandai made them in the 60's.

I've been slowly working on completing a collection of them.
                  By that, I mean, I watch the auctions I stumble across, and if they go cheap enough I buy them.
                  So far I have 4 out of the 8 kits.
                  Only 2 have been built so far.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

I think they're great. I would have guessed I had a later K-Mart version, but it was def. motorized. I always thought afterwards it was some Aurora knock-off.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• tay666
                      Career Member
                      • Dec 27, 2008

The Japanese kit companies put out lots of wind-up and friction kits.
                      There are a whole slew of Gamera kits like that.

Someday I will find time to sift through the hundreds of auctions pics I have backlogged and get them up on my site.

Comment

• Grüner Pfeil
                        Teen Titan
                        • Feb 21, 2016

I promised to show you my wind-up toys and here they are:

This Royal Guard band is from my childhood. They were made by some chinese company as so-called "collectors items" but for me they were also good toys.
                        I think my fascination for wind-up toys started with these guys.

These are some of the really old guys. The Solisto clown and the Tyrolean were made by Schuco. The clown is from the late 1940s/early 1950s, the Tyrolean from the 1930s.
                        The monkey band in the background was made by Max Carl toy company from Coburg. This company was the largest European producer of wind-up toys until 1990 when they quit business. The monkey band was permanent part of their assortment for about 40 years. My monkeys are the version from the 1960s.

These guys were also made by Max Carl except for the walking bear (he's a Japanese knock-off from the 1940s) and the clown next to the deer (he was made by German toy producer Köhler in the 1960s). The second guy from left in the front row is a prototype for the top hat clown on the far left from the 1930s.

One of my favourite pieces is this sailor in his original box from 1958. There were actually four sailors in total with different instruments (drum, cymbals, maracas and guitar).

The Royal Guard is also from 1958. Felix the Cat was made in the mid-1960s. It was always very important for me to buy only toys that are still working.
                        I hope you'll enjoy my collection.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎