Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

What about Sean Pertwee? He seems the obvious choice.

Comment

• clemso
      Talkative Member
      • Aug 8, 2001

I'm liking the Ben Whishaw rumour more and more. I think he would make a great Doctor.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by ODBJBG
        I liked Capaldi, but I checked out about halfway into his second season, when he suddenly became a sunglasses wearing, guitar playin', "cool dude". His first season was decent. But Moffat really ran the show into the ground with so many bad stories that it's hard to get into it. I generally hated Matt Smith and his stories were mostly rubbish, but at least there were a couple decent stories in there and the 50th was fun. But once Moffat started writing Smith stories for Capaldi it became really bad. Hopefully with the new showrunner and a new Doctor things will pick up. As good as Capaldi himself is, nothing I've seen of his Doctor shows any depth or passion. Maybe it got better, but it all seems too goofy for me to care about in recent years. And that's saying something when the whole show is just people running for tin robots and pepperpots.
        Man, if you stopped halfway through Season 9, you have no idea of what you missed. Yes, he did become a sunglasses-wearing, guitar-toting Doctor, but I rather liked that aspect as it gave him a somewhat different personality and softened some of the rough edges he had in Season 8. Episodes like "Under the Lake" and "Before the Flood" were excellent and every episode from "Sleep No More" through to "Hell Bent" were just downright spectacular (IMHO). Trying watching them if you get a chance; perhaps Capaldi can change your mind....
        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• johnnystorm
          Hot Child in the City
          • Jul 3, 2008

Well, I wasn't a huge fan of Capaldi...like Mikey I couldn't understand a lot of what he was saying, but that's kinda on the BBC. And I agree with Chris, that he was unfairly saddled with Clara's romance drama, thus making his inaugural season less about a new Doctor and all about the companion. Hopefully the next Doctor will be the STAR, and the companions will once again be secondary players. Note I said companions plural, as I think having more than one:
          A) avoids having the single companion become too great a part like Amy or Clara
          &
          B) gives them a way to discuss & advance the plot without the Doctor explaining everything in a lecture.

The media seems really intent on pushing a woman as the next Doctor. I dunno. I'd really just like to see this show get back to something similar to what I used to love about Doctor Who. Something in tge vein of #3 & #4. Less angst, less drama, less Daleks & Cybermen & Weeping Angels....more scifi, more fun, an historical adventure or two, a Victorian mystery, more UNIT....if we get that, I don't care who they pick.

Comment

• jacoblb
            Persistent Member
            • May 7, 2009

There aren't any fans of Peter Capaldi in my household.
            I married a Whovian who likes Tom Baker best. Capaldi's not at the bottom of the list of least liked Doctors because Colin Baker gets that award.
            Our teenage daughters still like Tennant best. I started following DW when the 9th guy began and I have come to respect the first 4. I'm interested in the direction of the show after the 10th season with a new showrunner. I think Moffat received the public's ire because he should have lessened his work load, Lord knows he'd had plenty of time to mentor someone who reported to him. But now we have the Broadchurch showrunner taking over after season 10. I wonder if the new Doctor will be female, I would not be surprised. In my world bubble I see more female Whovian fans anyway. With each modern regeneration there's more demand for a leading lady and it's topical what with gender and pay inequality post Trump election. I would not be surprised if the Powers That Be select a British female not known for her beauty, but instead for an unusual or alien look, much in the same way Matt Smith was chosen. Maybe a Tilda Swinton or the Broadchurch leading co-star, after all, David T. already endorsed her.
            Last edited by jacoblb; Feb 4, '17, 11:30 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

I have a feeling the next Doctor will be female --- perhaps the new producer might want to go back to basics and have him/her unlike recent Doctors

Female is fine, I just hope she remains A-sexual

I want to see mysteries - not kissy kissy love stories
              Last edited by Mikey; Feb 4, '17, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

If the role went to a female,most people are saying they want Hayley Atwell. She said if she was offered the role,she wouldn't say no.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                  If the role went to a female,most people are saying they want Hayley Atwell. She said if she was offered the role,she wouldn't say no.

I certainly wouldn't turn down Hayley Atwell taking a turn as The Doctor at all. She has the presence in scenes to pull off what The Doctor means when he/she walks into a room/situation. Plus, she is easy on the eyes, as well.

Tilda Swinton would definitely make for a kick-arse Doctor and she could definitely bring the "alien" element out in the character, but I have a feeling her pay level is likely higher than what the BBC would be willing to fork over.

Claudia Black could probably do a fine job as The Doctor, as well, and given her acting background (Farscape, Pitch Black, Destiny, Stargate), she's certainly no stranger to the sci-fi community. If Virginia Hey weren't 64 (not that 64 is old), I'd say she would also be a good, female candidate to play The Doctor.

Suranne Jones might make a good choice as a female incarnation of The Doctor, too, especially when one figures in the fact that she also played Idris, who contained the essence of the TARDIS back in "The Doctor's Wife."
                  sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

Although I hope they don't cast a woman, I would agree that Hayley Atwell would be a great choice if they did.
                    I also think Eva Green would be awesome.
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                      Egad what a great suggestion! That would get me watching again.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Captain Big Trousers
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 14, 2012

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                        I was very much against the idea of a female Doctor until you mentioned Eva Green. I would watch the hell outta that. :D

Capaldi could have been a brilliant Doctor given better scripts and companions. I have a feeling the new companion in the upcoming series is going to be a disaster. Given that Who is a time lord, I think there'd be great value in a Victorian era companion, prompting a need to explain the silliness of the modern world to him/her.
                        Even My Henchmen Think I'm Crazy.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 20, 2011

Eva Green would definitely keep me watching as a female incarnation of The Doctor and I was going to suggest her, actually, but, again, probably beyond the BBC's budgetary constraints.

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

As much as I hate the concept of the Female Doctor (to me, it's a JNT press gimmick gone too far) you folks have brought up two absolutely remarkable actresses for the part. Stop eroding my bias!
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 20, 2011

Totally for s**ts and giggles, here's a list of actors whom I think could be great as The Doctor. Mostly a wishful thinking list, it's fun to imagine what kind of Doctor each of these actors would bring to the screen...

Guy Pearce - 49
                              Viggo Mortensen - 58
                              Ewan McGregor - 45
                              Andrew Garfield - 33 (to appeal to the younger demographic)
                              Oscar Isaac - 37 (also, younger demographic grabber)
                              Michael Keaton - 65 (imagine a slightly manic, American Doctor)
                              Daniel Day Lewis - 59
                              Jeff Goldblum -64 (a more obsessive-compulsive American Doctor)
                              Christian Bale - 43 (an intense, British Doctor)
                              Jude Law - 44 (hey, if you've played a Pope, The Doctor should be a walk in the park)

And because someone mentioned recasting the The Doctor as a teenager, maybe rachet that down a couple more years and cast Millie Bobby Brown as The Doctor. Imagine a thousand years of knowledge and experience packed into a twelve year-old incarnation....

Comment

• Mikey
                                Verbose Member
                                • Aug 9, 2001

I can't see the Doctor ever being American.

DW is such a British institution it would be unthinkable.

But if it ever did happen would love to see Eddie Deezen come out of retirement for the role

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎