X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Capaldi Quits Who

To me he's the best since Tom Baker, so I'm all kinds of PO'd right now.....
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

I just started watching the show, but I liked him...

Comment

• Godzilla
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 3, 2002

I;m not surprised, but really, really sad. His passion as a fan for the show comes through in his performance.
      Mortui Vivos Docent
      The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
        Moderation Engineer
        • Aug 14, 2003

Dammit. I always have separation anxiety when there's a regeneration. It seems like as soon as I get comfy with someone they promptly jump off.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 20, 2011

Man, this news has me totally bummed out.

I really enjoyed Eccleston's take on The Doctor as Nine (or Ten?), and Tennant's Who is legend. I enjoyed Matt Smith's run as well with the boyish charm, wit and virtual elasticity he brought to the character (plus, he helped to make Doctor Who more of a known quantity here in the States with his appeal to a younger generation, especially 'tween girls and their moms). But I LOVE Capaldi's take on The Doctor. He brought a gravitas to the character that Matt Smith did not possess, but there was (and is) a playfulness to his incarnation, as well.

In a way, I suppose, this will give new showrunner Chris Chibnall an entirely clean slate to start with (depending upon whether Pearl Mackie sticks around past one series). In a way, if we're getting a new Doctor, I'd likely rather see a fresh companion, as well, just to cleanse the palette, I suppose. I enjoyed Jenna Coleman's Clara, but she was definitely a constant reminder of Matt Smith's Doctor, as well.

I guess the big question now is: who will be the next Who? Young or old? White, Black, Asian, Hispanic or perhaps of Middle-Eastern descent? Male or female? Ginger or not ginger? British, Scottish, Irish, Aussie, American or some other nationality? So many choices! I, personally, would be tickled to see Paul McGann come back for a series, just to spend a bit more time with him (after seeing him in "The Night of The Doctor," how could any WHOvian not want to see him come back for a few episodes?). I've heard Hayley Atwell's name mentioned as a female Doctor, which would be A-OK with this long time WHOvian.

Above all else, let's just hope they get some who is great and can carry the tremendous weight of this character's heritage with pride, fun and dignity.
          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Can't say i'm going to miss him - nothing personal

Just had too much trouble understanding his mumbly voice added to his Scottish brogue

Hope the BBC makes the next Doctor speak in regular Received Pronunciation

Comment

• Klosterheim
              Persistent Member
              • Mar 23, 2013

I was enjoying him as The Doctor.

I will miss his performance.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

I enjoyed Capaldi's Doctor, and I wish the majority of his run wasn't taken up by what became "The Adventures of Clara". We'll get one short season out of him and two Christmas specials Clara-less, but that's it. Bummer.

After seeing Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, I think Eddie Redmayne would make a great Doctor, but I doubt he wants to leave a lucrative movie career for TV.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

I never warmed up to his take on the Doctor. plus, this is his 3rd series isn't it? they always seem to switch after 3

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

Sad news. He's really become a favorite of mine.
                    His performance has a nice "alien" quality to it, as if normal human social behavior is not his thing. Much like Tom did, and sometimes, when you just hear him speaking and his voice goes low, I can really hear Tom Baker.

I wish an actor would stay on for longer and break this stupid unspoken rule of 3-4 series.
                    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

Damn it.
                      Really liked Capaldi in the role.
                      I really hope the BBC don't do anything stupid regarding their casting choice for the next Doctor.
                      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• tmthor
                        God of Knock-offs
                        • Nov 29, 2005

I would like to see him regenerate into something different. Like woman (the Master did it) or what if he regenerated into a teenager this time.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by tmthor
                          I would like to see him regenerate into something different. Like woman (the Master did it) or what if he regenerated into a teenager this time.
                          Dear Lord in Heaven!! Don't give the suits at BBC any ideas! I don't think I could deal with a teenaged, angst-filled 1,000 year-old+ Galifreyan!
                          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• rche
                            channeling Bob Wills
                            • Mar 26, 2008

i think it is high time Clemso stepped into the Doctors shoes.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                              Permanent Member
                              • May 15, 2009

I liked Capaldi, but I checked out about halfway into his second season, when he suddenly became a sunglasses wearing, guitar playin', "cool dude". His first season was decent. But Moffat really ran the show into the ground with so many bad stories that it's hard to get into it. I generally hated Matt Smith and his stories were mostly rubbish, but at least there were a couple decent stories in there and the 50th was fun. But once Moffat started writing Smith stories for Capaldi it became really bad. Hopefully with the new showrunner and a new Doctor things will pick up. As good as Capaldi himself is, nothing I've seen of his Doctor shows any depth or passion. Maybe it got better, but it all seems too goofy for me to care about in recent years. And that's saying something when the whole show is just people running for tin robots and pepperpots.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎