X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by rche
    I gotta ask what the name of his band is.

Just kidding...

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

Didn't one of his customs wind up on a TV show?

Comment

• rche
        channeling Bob Wills
        • Mar 26, 2008

Originally posted by LonnieFisher

Just kidding...
        nice

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
          His work inspired me to start customizing in the mid 90s as well as learn to sew, resin cast, and sculpt. I never met him or anything, I just read the interviews in the magazines. That issue of ToyFare where he explained how he does it was an eye opener for me.
          I think that's the greatest compliment one can pay to any Mego fan/customizer.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• ScottA
            Original Member
            • Jun 25, 2001

Originally posted by rche
            I gotta ask what the name of his band is.
            Lost n' Found is the name I believe.
            sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I remember first seeing his work in Model & Toy Collector Magazine, or one of their thick annuals. It was the first time I'd ever even heard of anyone customizing Mego figures by sewing costumes, making new heads, etc.

I have the mass-produced Flatt Bela Dracula and love it. I skipped the EMCE Dracula because this one fit the bill of a Mego Universal Dracula perfectly in my opinion.

I'm sorry to hear he was taken advantage of, and is out of the game. A tale as old as time, I'm afraid.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• mishu2nite
                Persistent Member
                • Nov 26, 2001

He is still very much in the game, and has come back in the last year. Glad for him.

Comment

• starsky
                  veteran member
                  • Aug 26, 2007

^ i heard the same thing. charlee's a great guy. bought some of his figures in the past and always had a great time chatting with him.

Comment

• mjaycox
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 16, 2008

Charlee's importance to Mego customizing, and customizing in general, cannot be overstated.

He was the first hinge upon which the art of Mego customizing turned.

There was customizing before him, and customizing after him-- and they were not the same.

Matt
                    Warm up?! We may as well sit around this cigarette!

Comment

• gaga4toyz
                      Persistent Member
                      • Aug 10, 2004

Dave Lee and I did an exclusive figure years ago in Florida and this really nice guy stopped by and chatted with us for a bit on the first day. He was very complimentary to our work and never told us who he was. He could have said hey you know I'm Charlie Flatt and I make custom stuff better than you guys do, or some such nonsense. That never happened though. The guy was a class act. He made the whole experience about us and our work. We found out later who he was. The next day We saw him again and he invited us to his shop. That was a really cool moment for me. It made me want to make better figures, like the ones he showed us. We stayed in touch and eventually bough some of his Phantom prototype stuff. The skull you see on the Castaway belt, the Guns on the phantom, phantom hands, open hands, fists were all made by Charlie. I believe he also made the castaway hero boots which were also used on the Phantom. The Castaway Pirate boots (also used on Redbeard) were made from casts of Charlie's Phantom boots, that I sculpted the boots flaps on in my living room. The Phantom head we used was first Sculpted by a wonderful guy Corey Woods years before. We sent the head cast to Charlie and he resculpted the head and put his magic touch on it. One I got the head back I smoothed it out like glass and we sent it off to the factory for production. Anyway that's the way I remembered things going down. David Lee can probably shed some more light on things for those interested. In short my dealings were Charlie were very cool. His work has really inspired me over the years to work hard and design cool toys.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                        Career Member
                        • Jun 8, 2015

Okay silly question.

if Charlie is still alive, has anyone thought of inviting him down to Megomeet for a panel??? After hearing some of these stories, I would kick in $$$ to fly him down and put him up.

Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎