X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jorge Galvan
    Career Member
    • Jun 8, 2015

okay, who was/is Charlie Flatt??

Sorry, as some of you know, I am sorta a newbie and have only been to two Mego meets (15/16). I have seen his name bandied about and wanted to see what is special about this guy and his work. Thanks.

Jorge.
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

He's kinda the George Washington of Mego customizers.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
      Career Member
      • Jun 8, 2015

so he crossed the Delaware making Mego's???

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

--- and chopped down a few cherry trees

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
          Career Member
          • Jun 8, 2015

SO he was the first one to do so, then? Is he still around or???

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

He was not the first guy to do it. He was however, ahead of his time with his skill and artistry.

He grew somewhat "Famous" thanks to the internet (which he didn't partake) and magazines like Toyfare spotlighting him.

At the height of his popularity some of his work was traded for thousands, it became kind of "status symbol" stuff to own a Flatt.

However, not much of that cash was trickling back to the man himself. He was high in demand but working for very little. I knew him a little, a real genuine, outgoing and quite humble person. The kind of guy you'd want to drink beer with.

From what I recall, he got fed up with some of the personalities he was dealing with. Some of the stuff he did for folks, he thought it was personal but they were flipping his work and well, I'm sure somebody else can explain better. Nice dude, I wish he was still active.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
              Career Member
              • Jun 8, 2015

wow. interesting tale, so he is still alive, then. Kinda reminds me of Steve Ditko, I hope not as reclusive.

Where does he live???

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I agree with Palitoy's sentiments about Charlee. Very nice guy; I chatted with him regularly in the later '90s and commissioned some heads from him which are still in circulation. We met once in Columbus. As far as I know, he's still in Florida and active with his band.
                Last edited by PNGwynne; Jan 27, '17, 6:08 PM.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• rche
                  channeling Bob Wills
                  • Mar 26, 2008

Flatt was also amongst the first in the factory made ReMego thing. He had an awesome Dracula, Uncle Sam, and some others.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

was that the Bela Lugosi Dracula he made? I have the coffin and accessories for that. they are really cool

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

^Yes. He was working on others as well--Falk's The Phantom and Zorro, but these didn't see production.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• ScottA
                        Original Member
                        • Jun 25, 2001

There are 3 Uncle Sams, Bela Dracula and the 9/11 Firefighter that he did. Zorro and Phantom were gonna be great.

Charlee is still very much alive and well. Mostly into playing his music with his band these day. I still talk to him off and on.
                        sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                          Often invisible
                          • Jul 18, 2002

His work inspired me to start customizing in the mid 90s as well as learn to sew, resin cast, and sculpt. I never met him or anything, I just read the interviews in the magazines. That issue of ToyFare where he explained how he does it was an eye opener for me.
                          Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• boss
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 18, 2003

I've owned a few Flatts. His attention to detail and eye for scale and proportion were incredible. His head sculpts were hit and miss. From what I've heard he wasn't great at choosing business partners.
                            Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• rche
                              channeling Bob Wills
                              • Mar 26, 2008

I gotta ask what the name of his band is.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎