X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

FROM THE VAULT: Unreleased Jakks Monsters

I thought I'd share this really cool pic of Jakks Pacific's unreleased series 2 Universal Monsters from 2005. If anyone remembers the first series, it was Frankenstein, Dracula, and Wolfman. They all had really cool little diorama bases. Dracula even had his coffin and a bag of Transylvanian soil!

It's a shame these figures never saw the light of day. The Creature is awesome and Kharis comes on a great swamp base featuring a submerged Ananka face!

JAKKSUNI2.jpg
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Ach, what a shame these were never released!
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Brown Bear
      Still Old School
      • Feb 14, 2008

I would've bought these.
      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I remember the first series barely got anything. I saw them once at a comic shop then never again.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
          Career Member
          • Sep 5, 2005

It still hurts! Weren't these shown in 2003? But yeah, it sure would've been great if they had released these. They also had package art for these three as well as illustrations of some of series three: the Metaluna Mutant from This Island Earth and Lugosi as Frankenstein's Monster Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man. Ah, what could have been.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

I remember those. It's a real shame the second series never got produced. I thought they were a lot of fun but I remember they got a lot of intense hate from collectors on the Universal Monster forums I lurked at the time.

I also really liked the equally hated Toy Island Universal Monsters figures that came out after the Jakks figures.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

When my son got Universal Monster obsessed several years back, we bought him the three Jakks sets dirt cheap. The Wolfman set is fantastic, and Drac and Frank are really nice too. It's a shame they didn't continue!

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I loved the initial sets; I don't care what purists thought. I'd have been glad to have more, although maybe not Lugosi's Monster as much.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

Look at the bases and accessories. These were definitely touched by the very long shadow of the influential Aurora sculpts! Thanks for sharing these! New to me!

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
                    Career Member
                    • Sep 5, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                    I loved the initial sets; I don't care what purists thought. I'd have been glad to have more, although maybe not Lugosi's Monster as much.
                    But we would've been able to take off the top of his head and see his brain! What's not to love?
                    Last edited by darkmonkeygod; Jan 25, '17, 3:20 PM.

Comment

• jacoblb
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 7, 2009

As a matter of coincidence a pawn shop type store was carrying some of the Diamond Select Universal Monsters. I liked the bases on those.

Comment

• spockoda
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Jan 14, 2018

I most definitely would have purchased these! I have the first series, I remember buying them at a KB Toys Outlet.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎