X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

20th Anniversary of Hasbro 12" Monsters

Hard to believe it's been 20 years since these guys first appeared way back in 1997...call me crazy, but as time goes on, I find I actually like them MORE than the Sideshow 12" figures.

Blasphemy right? Yeah, I know they're not as accurate, (more on that in a minute) but there's just something I love about them. They were the first real attempt by any company to do movie accurate monsters since Remco nearly two decades earlier. The sculpts are actually quite good. The Wolfman and Phantom sculpts in particular I think are superior to their Sideshow counterparts.

There's something distinctly toyetic about them that's aesthetically pleasing to me...the oversized "monster" hands, vibrant almost garish paint apps, the chunky feel they have...I just love them. They graced us with the first and only action figures of Kharis and Son of Dracula to this day, which is an achievement by itself. They also gave us the first Invisible Man and Bride of Frankenstein figures...that's a pretty big deal.
    So, while they're not perfect, and surely not as fancy or realistic as some of the Sideshow figures, I think they are still a VERY important milestone in Universal Monster toys.

They will always hold a special place in my heart, and on my shelf!
Working...
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎