Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmthor
    God of Knock-offs
    • Nov 29, 2005

Notice that the Kong is 24.98 the figure packs are 9.98 and the 2 vehicles are 14.98. If Hasbro made them the Kong would have been 50$ the vehicles 30$ and the figures with all those accesories would be 15$ (and only 5POA)

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
      Persistent Member
      • Apr 28, 2013

Originally posted by tmthor
      Notice that the Kong is 24.98 the figure packs are 9.98 and the 2 vehicles are 14.98. If Hasbro made them the Kong would have been 50$ the vehicles 30$ and the figures with all those accesories would be 15$ (and only 5POA)
      Good point. Some of the best looking toys I like from Chap Mei would have been beyond awesome if tied to a movie property, and price point would have been good as well.
      Maybe I am getting old but toys today are too darned expensive.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

True that. Some of the Chap Mei stuff just makes you swoon with it's playability and design.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

I stopped by our local Wallyworld on the way home from work tonight, and they only had 2 of the vehicles (the copter and the gun boat). No Kong and no figure sets. If they had had Kong or any of the sets with the creatures, I would have picked them up, but I passed on those 2 vehicles for now (I might pick them up in a couple of weeks when finances recover after unexpected car expenses on top of planned car expenses last month).

-M
          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• tmthor
            God of Knock-offs
            • Nov 29, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            True that. Some of the Chap Mei stuff just makes you swoon with it's playability and design.
            Not to mention the playsets have display possibilites

Comment

• The Batman Professor
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 15, 2010

Lanard's Kong figure is a really great toy, especially for the money. Where it falls short IMO, is the light grayish tan that he's molded in.

Here's my repaint, brown black, with gray and brown highlights:

sigpicSWEAR TO ME!

Comment

• MRP
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2016

Sweet repaint. I did pick up the Kong figure the other day finally. The Wallyworld on the other side of town had it when I stopped in. Hmm, seeing this repaint makes me think of possibilities.

-M
                "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• The Batman Professor
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 15, 2010

When I was a little boy, my grandmother bought me the Multiple Toys Animated Kong playset. Whenever I went to her house, I would play with it for hours, humming "KING KONG, 10 times as big as a man!" This set brings back those memories BIG TIME, and I guess that's why I wish there were more toys like these.
                  sigpicSWEAR TO ME!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

I looked at this closely yesterday at WM, considering buying it to complement my 12" GI Joes. It's a nice figure, well-made, but IMO Lanard really erred in not giving it swivel-jointed hips like a 12" Kenner Chewbacca or Bigfoot. This would have increased ape-like posing and play value.
                    Last edited by PNGwynne; Feb 12, '17, 9:11 AM.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• The Batman Professor
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 15, 2010

I spoke with a rep from Lanard, and they said that they have no plans to expand the Skull Island line beyond what is already at retail. However, they said the MONSTERVERSE would be continuing.

That can only mean Godzilla for next year!
                      sigpicSWEAR TO ME!

Comment

• tmthor
                        God of Knock-offs
                        • Nov 29, 2005

Originally posted by The Batman Professor
                        I spoke with a rep from Lanard, and they said that they have no plans to expand the Skull Island line beyond what is already at retail. However, they said the MONSTERVERSE would be continuing.

That can only mean Godzilla for next year!
                        We can only hope.......maybe they will do a couple of in house monsters Like A T-Rex or some other dinosaurs.....then again their is always Chap-mei

Comment

• Bantha5
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • May 2, 2013

Very nice repaint

Originally posted by The Batman Professor
                          Lanard's Kong figure is a really great toy, especially for the money. Where it falls short IMO, is the light grayish tan that he's molded in.

Here's my repaint, brown black, with gray and brown highlights:

Comment

• monitor_ep
                            Talkative Member
                            • May 11, 2013

I picked up my Kong today. He looks good but will need a repaint before I take pictures of him & Godzilla!
                            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
                              Career Member
                              • Sep 5, 2005

This is pretty darned cool. Designer Blake Noh has posted a video overview of the process of creating the Kong toys. How I'd love to see such a thing for AHI from 1974.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0rD...ature=youtu.be

Comment

• TrekStar
                                Trek or Treat
                                • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by Bantha5
                                Very nice repaint
                                Its amazing what folks can do to make something good come out great, to bad the legs arent movable.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎