Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is no one else surprised by the size of Hawk and Dove?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rodkeith
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 16, 2008

Is no one else surprised by the size of Hawk and Dove?

I haven't seen anyone commenting yet on Hawk and Dove being on the small bodies in the upcoming Titans wave. Does this not look odd to anyone else's eyes? While First Appearance Beast Boy makes sense at that height, I've never seen these two sized anything like kids- they've always been adult-sized, though Dove is depicted as slimmer than the more muscular Hawk.

I get that the thinking might be they're sized to go with Teen Titans East, which predates the Wolfman/Perez version re-boot by a few years. But even by then the Titans were definitely Teen and not Teeny, like their younger Silver Age selves, which the original Mego child bodies represented.

As they were the releases in this wave I was most looking forward to, can't say I'm not disappointed with how these two came out (and the short-sleeves and leggings aren't helping them either). My ten-year-old, who was thrilled by these characters from their JLU and Batman: Brave & The Bold appearances, thinks they look really odd at that height too and has lost interest. Weird choice, FTC.
    Last edited by rodkeith; Jan 9, '17, 12:53 AM.
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

I'm sure they were doing this as a what if Titans wave 2 from Mego. The shortened sleeves and legs thing should have been fixed from the get go with wave one. It was a design flaw by Mego and now an error repeated by FTC.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• megowgsh
      Customego HoF Curator
      • Nov 19, 2003

I didn't want to say anything because nobody else was saying anything and I am not very familiar with the characters, but I was thinking the exact same thing. "Why are these NOT on Type 2 scale bodies?"
      Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

I think they're working on both perspectives here. The "new" Teen Titans will focus on the 8 inch scale while they promote a nostalgic swing at the 7 inch variety for a different group of characters. Perhaps those will intertwine along the way if the demand is there. But if I had to guess I would say that is likely the intended offering.

Comment

• jeffbearco
          Persistent Member
          • Mar 27, 2011

I will probably get the Robin, and maybe the green Beast Boy if his body is also green. (pictures seem to go both ways if you look close) But I doubt I'll get any of the other 7" Teen Titans.

JeffBearCO

Comment

• TRDouble
            Permanent Member
            • Jul 10, 2012

I thought it too; but didn't say anything. It is another deterrent to me getting Hawk And Dove, with the costume design being the first.

Seeing that all of the new releases are FTC Website exclusives, even a series with a Robin in it and a line featuring a still popular cartoon series in Scooby Doo, I fear the latest ReMego renaissance may be coming to an end. And with odd choices like a small Hawk & Dove and the lack of a Scooby Doo in Series One of that line, it may hasten the demise of the FTC's part in it.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

I'm not a big fan of the characters but I really saw it as making perfect sense considering that Ditko initially drew them as scrawny teenagers.

I know the 80s saw Hawk bulk up considerably but I think it works for a 70s mindset.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• huedell
                Museum Ball Eater
                • Dec 31, 2003

Kudos to FTC for attempting to blend their line with 1970s WGSH!
                "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

I'd prefer adult sized Hawk and Dove figures, but it's great that they exist at all.

Here's hoping that the New Teen Titans line eventually goes deep enough to warrant adult variants. I would suspect that for that line, we'd eventually see the female Dove (created by Rob Liefeld and the Kessels) and adult Hawk if the license endures and the line continues.

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• jeffbearco
                    Persistent Member
                    • Mar 27, 2011

The Teen Titans line more than any other deserves to be scaled using all of the bodies they can. 7", 8" teen body and 8" adult, plus adding in the Hulk body as needed.

JeffBearCO.

Comment

• warlock664
                      Persistent Member
                      • Feb 15, 2009

I'm not surprised in the least; we saw pics of them on the Titans Beach Cruiser box, they were clearly in scale with the other Teen Titans figs.
                      Regarding Beast Boy's costume: I'll check my Silver Age Teen Titans Omnibus when I get home to see how accurate the colors are (he appeared in Teen Titans #6).

Comment

• rodkeith
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 16, 2008

Okay! So, after some direct research (instead of relying on memory, or predisposed notions) I'm willing to admit I'm wrong about Hawk & Dove's size-- kinda.

Looking back at their original Showcase and early appearances, they ARE in high school, and not fully grown. And based on the way their heads have been portrayed, FTC is definitely basing the figures on Ditko. Both Don and Hank are depicted as smaller than the adults. So I'd say using the smaller bodies IS accurate, if we're going with Silver Age portrayals.

However, if FTC is going with filling out the Teen Titans East team, from 1978 (issues #50-52 of the original run), which also included Beast Boy pre-Changeling, and Betty Kane Bat-Girl, then Hank and Don are definitely older, as the rest of the Titans are.

So in my mind I was prepared for Bronze Age versions, and this ain't that. Maybe they'll come down the line along with taller version of Wonder Girl, Speedy and such (though, I kinda doubt it).

Comment

• SpaceAgent
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 21, 2009

I was a bit surprised, but it would involve making the original TT 8" since they were contemporaries of H&D. Looking forward to getting them anyway!

Comment

• TRDouble
                            Permanent Member
                            • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by SpaceAgent
                            I was a bit surprised, but it would involve making the original TT 8" since they were contemporaries of H&D. Looking forward to getting them anyway!
                            I really want the original 7" TT re-done in 8" scale. I even have a MegoWGSH adult Kid Flash suit, in hopes of one day creating one myself (no idea what to do about the head though). And now that we finally have the long ago mentioned FTC exclusive 7" TT Robin, I hope they decide to go the opposite direction and give the 8" Robin (or better yet, a new 8" Robin!) his Teen Titan pals in scale. But I doubt we ever see another Hawk & Dove made.

I still think it would be nice to get a costume corrected 7" Speedy as well. That could have been a variant in TT Series One, much like Beast Boy is in Series 2.
                            Last edited by TRDouble; Jan 13, '17, 9:05 AM.

Comment

• SpaceAgent
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 21, 2009

It does look like an 8" Wonder Girl in being done in the TNTT series. If they're going to complete the New Titans, that would mean an 8" Kid Flash too. I've always wanted to see an 8", Perez-style Speedy too.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎