X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spawn67
    Career Member
    • Aug 14, 2009

Movie T.V. Cards...

Who else remembers buying these back in the day? Do you still have any? Stories about where you used to get them?...
    Attached Files
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I got a complete set of Superman: The Movie cards and stickers, and my childhood Grand Moff Tarkin sticker is still on an old Snoopy lunch box handed down from my sister. I had no idea who he was, but oddly enough Peter Cushing would become one of my favorite actors thanks to Hammer.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

I still have my Topps Star Wars cards and stickers. I remember I bought them at grocery stores. They were always mixed in with the candy in the checkout isles.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

I lived and died by these, and have waaaayyy too many complete sets. I have quite a few sealed packs from that photo above too. There's a collectible that is pretty affordable these days, since Topps killed their market with chase cards. You can get complete sets for pretty cheap for many of those.

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

I remember having King Kong movie cards and that super delicious sugar coated hard stick of gum
          that came in every pack.

Comment

• HardyGirl
            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
            • Apr 3, 2007

As a kid, the only ones I had were Charlie's Angels. And I didn't even have to buy them. My buddy Garvin had a whole set of series one and got sick of them, (I guess), so he gave them all to me. He had doubles of most of the stickers.

As an adult, I have some Star Trek Motion Picture, POTA, Six Million Dollar Man, E.T., Partridge Family, Charlie's Angels, Star Trek, Star Trek TNG, Star Trek Generations, SeaQuest DSV, Saved By The Bell, Beverly Hills 90210.
            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

I used to get them from our small local grocery/tobacco store... collected a full set of blue border Topps SW cards and almost all the second series red border.
              Also used to pick up Topps Battlestar Galactica, Superman, Superman II, The Black Hole, Buck Rogers, Jaws 2, Empire, Jedi, Raiders, CE3K, E.T., etc.
              Great memories.
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• HardyGirl
                Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                • Apr 3, 2007

Oh! When I was a kid, I also had some of the Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica and Close Encounters cards from Wonder Bread, and a few of the Jaws 2 sticker cards from some cereal box, (can't remember which one).
                "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

Yeah! Those Wonder Bread cards were awesome in their own way.

It always irked me that there was never a Jaws set but there was a Jaws 2 set.

Lately, they've been publishing the card images in books. I have the Star Trek one, and it's pretty neat.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Ori...star+trek+book

Here's one of the Star Wars ones:

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Ori...star+wars+book

Comment

• johnnystorm
                    Hot Child in the City
                    • Jul 3, 2008

I've been collecting sets for years. Twice a year I go to the Philly Non-Sport Card Show (which, BTW, is in Allentown Pa. Not Philadelphia) to look for missing cards or new sets.
                    I like the old stuff better. 66 cards / 11 stickers. No foils, no limited release, no promos, etc. The autographs & costume/jersey cards are neat though, as are the sketch cards. But I consider those bonuses, not inserts you need for a complete set.
                    My favorite older sets are the Charlie's Angels series, original Star Wars, Planet of the Apes tv show, and the Incredible Hulk with Lou & Bill.

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

I didn't know we had card lovers here. That's ANOTHER passion of mine. Love the old sets I had as a kid and have collected for a long time. Here's a few shots...

Love Kong '76, Six Mill, Wacky Packages, Dark Shadows, Pota the TV show, Batman '89, Spider-man 2001, reissued Batman '66 artwork cards and Rocky IV, Welcome Back Kotter and of course the original KISS cards. Picked up the 96 version too when they reunited.

A full box of '89 cards. You can still smell the bubblegum... Although I wouldn't recommend a chew.

Anyone remember the Superhero gag cards? I always loved those as a kid since they always pulled classic artwork for the day.

One of my favorite when I was a kid were the Creature Feature cards that also had funny sayings on them. Sorry for the crappy shot. Darn camera phone.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                        Still Old School
                        • Feb 14, 2008

Sweet collection Tom! Last year I was in a phase and scooped up a few old sets to go with my childhood collection.
                        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Vermillion-Windmere
                          • Oct 2, 2012

Speaking of Allentown,there is that one guy in the Merchant's Square Mall that has a pretty sweet collection.

image.jpg

Originally posted by johnnystorm
                          I've been collecting sets for years. Twice a year I go to the Philly Non-Sport Card Show (which, BTW, is in Allentown Pa. Not Philadelphia) to look for missing cards or new sets.
                          I like the old stuff better. 66 cards / 11 stickers. No foils, no limited release, no promos, etc. The autographs & costume/jersey cards are neat though, as are the sketch cards. But I consider those bonuses, not inserts you need for a complete set.
                          My favorite older sets are the Charlie's Angels series, original Star Wars, Planet of the Apes tv show, and the Incredible Hulk with Lou & Bill.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

loved those as a kid. I still have quite a few incomplete sets, Raiders, Star Trek TMP, Empire series 1 and 2, and some complete, Jedi, batman 89, I even have multiple sets of the wwf wrestling set from the mid eighties. also have a partial set of the cards for the V tv series. never did get that one completed as they were so hard to find.

I remember as a kid, my mom would drive us like 10 miles into the city of Poughkeepsie to go to the only store she knew of that had Star Wars cards. must have been around 1978 or so
                            Last edited by Nostalgiabuff; Jan 6, '17, 6:58 PM.

Comment

• Obibob
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Jul 27, 2007

Collecting non-sport trading cards is my number one passion - even more so than toys! Got hooked on them back in the early to mid 70's (Wacky Packages, Planet of the Apes - TV Series, Star Trek, etc) and have never stopped collecting them since. Modern, vintage, and just about everything else in between is fair game. I've never met a card I didn't like. Speaking of which, if anyone out there still likes to trade, send me a pm and a list

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎