X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Duncan
    Aside from alcohol, which I just can't physically handle any more, I've started having acid reflux issues from dairy in the last few years; generally only from large quantities. Still, that put a damper on my late night bowls of cereal or ice cream. I tried soy milk (Silk) on cereal a few times, and I can more or less live with it. It tastes OK - it's just mental: I don't want to like soy milk. In my world, milk comes from cows (primarily), not beans.
    Try almond milk or coconut milk; both are better than the soy stuff. They used to make oat milk that I adored, but I'm guessing it didn't develop a big enough following because I haven't see it in years...
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• HardyGirl
      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
      • Apr 3, 2007

You have my sympathies, Brian. My trips to the movies are very few and far between, but I must have some movie theatre popcorn w/ extra butter. I don't drink soda anymore, usually tea or lemonade. I love the theatres that offer popcorn flavor shake-ins. Good stuff!
      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• VintageMike
        Permanent Member
        • Dec 16, 2004

Movie theater popcorn was one fo the first things I cut when I was looking to change my diet. I found it both helpful and better economically to eat lunch out prior to going to the movie. More bang for my buck and eliminated the need for popcorn. That said when I'm doing just a movie or am short on time I go for whatever variation of soft pretzel they have as a snack. The main chain of theaters here sells soft pretzel nuggets which are actually more filling AND a better buy than the popcorn to boot.

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

My go to movie theater, AMC Bay Street 16, in Emeryville...has a Rubio's next door...it's Mexican Baja style food...

Sign Up for Rewards and Earn points for free Rubio’s! Sign In Sign In Sign In the best parties happen in baja. From game-day watch parties, to large corporate meetings, to

...last time I went, saw Rogue One...and snuck in a langostino lobster burrito...the hell with the popcorn, man, that burrito was off the hook...

sigpic

Comment

• Goblin19
            Talkative Member
            • May 2, 2002

Well, that does look good. Brian, it could also be the butter salt that we pop the corn with. If you ask a manager in advance to pop a batch without salt, they will. At least we always do. You can salt it yourself with normal salt. There will still be a little salt from the kettle, but there wouldn't be much. There are quite s few people who are bothered by the salt. There's also a chance it's the oil it's popped in. Most places use canola which is pretty safe, but some use different oils like coconut, which is really delicious BTW.

Comment

• Duncan
              Museum focus-groupie
              • Jun 27, 2009

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
              Try almond milk or coconut milk; both are better than the soy stuff. They used to make oat milk that I adored, but I'm guessing it didn't develop a big enough following because I haven't see it in years...
              Thanks for the advice.

Comment

• jacoblb
                Persistent Member
                • May 7, 2009

Pretty much everything I wanted to state was quoted here. I eat coconut oil popcorn at home and my local theaters (Cinemark, Harkins, and AMC) only use canola oil. When I used to drink soda the butter popcorn was very eruptive inside my stomach.

Nowadays I sneak in my own Gold Peak, Arizona, or Pure Leaf tea bottles since Harkins only offers Brisk as their only tea. Good on you staying with water. It's true you can ask for unsalted, but besides chapping your lips or making you thirsty the salt most likely isn't the culprit. Also could be sour stomach from things you happen to have eaten the day before. If so, yogurt helps.

When I managed a theater in the early 90s some stupid Dateline show had gone on about how unhealthy coconut oil was. Seemed like all the customers asked. We used canola. Fast forward to today, it's been proven coconut is safest and nutritionists say there's good Fat that our bodies easily burn off.

Originally posted by Goblin19
                Well, that does look good. Brian, it could also be the butter salt that we pop the corn with. If you ask a manager in advance to pop a batch without salt, they will. At least we always do. You can salt it yourself with normal salt. There will still be a little salt from the kettle, but there wouldn't be much. There are quite s few people who are bothered by the salt. There's also a chance it's the oil it's popped in. Most places use canola which is pretty safe, but some use different oils like coconut, which is really delicious BTW.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Hedji
                  Brian, I don't wish to alarm you unneccesarily, but popcorn is a big no-no for people who have diverticulitis. I didn't know what that was until my mother suffered from it. It's not life threatening, but you may want to ask your doctor about it. Don't google it... doing that usually makes you think you're dying, and it really isn't life threatening. All I know is that popcorn kernels can be problematic for people who are prone to this.
                  Ok so, thank you for this warning. Wish I'd heeded it.

I've been plagued with health issues this year and have already had one emergency surgery. Waiting on my results but all signs point to severe diverticulitis for me.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• WannabeMego
                    Made in the USA
                    • May 2, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy

I've been plagued with health issues this year and have already had one emergency surgery. Waiting on my results but all signs point to severe diverticulitis for me.
                    Oh I hope it's not that bad Brian...You will be surprised to find out what you can no longer eat if you don't know already.

Hopin' for the Best for You.
                    Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Be careful with diverticulitis...Brian, you know my story.

The colon usually gets more affected than the small intestines.

If you need advice, I'm here for you.
                      sigpic

Comment

• J.B.
                        Guild Navigator
                        • Jun 23, 2010

Hoping for the best, droog.
                        You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Thanks Hector, I appreciate it. I'd sure like to know how to sleep with this constant left side pain.

Comment

• Godzilla
                            Permanent Member
                            • Nov 3, 2002

Damn man! What elder god did you infuriate this past year for this string of bad luck? All my best.
                            Mortui Vivos Docent
                            The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• palitoy
                              • Jun 16, 2001

You run over one Gypsy's dog.....

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                                valar morghulis
                                • Mar 8, 2005

Thanks Hector, I appreciate it. I'd sure like to know how to sleep with this constant left side pain.
                                Are you taking any supplements? A few yrs ago I had a difficult time with an IBS "attack", lost 25 lbs over the course of a couple months, and had a similar type of pain that you describe. I did some research and gave this a try:

It's just peppermint, ginger, and fennel.. all things that are supposed to naturally soothe and calm your GI tract. It definitely did help me.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎