Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goblin19
    Talkative Member
    • May 2, 2002

You guys are killing me. I have run a theatre for years. If everyone did what you guys do, we'd go out of business. Our only profit is from the food. The studios take the majority of the ticket revenue. Our cut would maybe cover the utilities.

Comment

• Goblin19
      Talkative Member
      • May 2, 2002

And, Hector, we search bags at our theatres not because we want to stop food. We let you in with it even if we see it, but because of several theatre attacks, including a local one in which 2 people assaulted several customers in a theatre with a pipe to rob them. It's a reflection of the times.

Comment

• noelani72
        27inaleon
        • Jun 25, 2002

My wife has those symptoms and she has diverticulitis. She's even had surgery as a result.

Comment

• Goblin19
          Talkative Member
          • May 2, 2002

I hope that's not it.

Comment

• starsky
            veteran member
            • Aug 26, 2007

milk and i don't get along anymore either. surprisingly, ice cream is still ok though!

Comment

• Goblin19
              Talkative Member
              • May 2, 2002

Milkshakes are a harbinger of doom for me.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

I don't wish to alarm you unneccesarily, but popcorn is a big no-no for people who have diverticulitis.
                Yeah interesting reading but I don't seem to have any other signs and I regularly eat Smart Food, so I'm thinking something in the synth butter makes me urpy.

Originally posted by Hector
                Brian, Brian, Brian...

Movie theater popcorn is not only garbage, but horribly overpriced.
                But it tastes good and i don't go to the movies very often. Now I'm just going to have a pretzel dog or nachos or some crap.

Originally posted by Goblin19
                Milkshakes are a harbinger of doom for me.
                Yeah me too, lactose intolerance has actually been plaguing me all my life but I never knew it until i was in my middle 30s.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                  I get mine (when I do) at Wal-Mart for $.98, but a 2 cent difference certainly ain't gonna make ya or break ya! I think they have them here locally at Kroger for about a buck, too. When I smuggle in contraband, it's usually salted pistachios and raisins and maybe a handful of banana chips. If I want to feel particularly "healthy," I take in Snapea crisps in pretty much any flavor. And like you, I bypass the overpriced, watered down soft drinks AND the overpriced bottled water and just take in one of the bottles of water I can pick up at the grocery at 32 bottles for about 3 bucks.
                  I wouldnt go to Walmart even if you paid me...I despise that store...both customers and employees, lol.

But I hear you. I also been known to sneak in sandwiches, burritos, chips, etc...ha...

Nice stuff you take in...I'm with you all the way...
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

You guys are killing me. I have run a theatre for years. If everyone did what you guys do, we'd go out of business. Our only profit is from the food. The studios take the majority of the ticket revenue. Our cut would maybe cover the utilities.
                    Blame the greedy movie studios.

Look, I understand. But look at my point of view. I live in the Bay Area, arguably the most expensive area in the USA to live. The IMAX 3D show comes out at a whopping $20. If I decide to buy a large popcorn/soda combo, that's $15 around these parts. That's if I go by myself. That's a total of a whopping $35 for watching and snacking during a two hour movie. If I take someone with me, and I'm treating, that's $70 friggin dollars, downright robbery. That's totally outrageous. I'd rather go to a steakhouse, order me and my "friend" a couple of medium rare porterhouses...and have a few beers instead.

I might as well just wait for the movies to come out for home viewing.

I'm by no means broke or stingy...it's a matter of principle for me.

Again, you, Sir...are of course not to blame...it's the friggin thieves running the studios...
                    sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

And, Hector, we search bags at our theatres not because we want to stop food. We let you in with it even if we see it, but because of several theatre attacks, including a local one in which 2 people assaulted several customers in a theatre with a pipe to rob them. It's a reflection of the times.
                      That part I understand...and totally sympathize with you.

I'd probably cooperate these days (as my search request was a few years ago)...I'll let them search, but if they object to my snacks...then I'll politely just ask for a refund...and head back home.
                      sigpic

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                        Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                        • Jan 22, 2008

Funny, I've just sworn off movie theatre popcorn (and drinks) as well. What always happens to me is i get the burps that bring up regurgitated popcorn into my throat/mouth. Never happens at home with microwave popcorn. Never happens with smartfood.

The only things i sneak into the movies is Milkduds (to add to the popcorn, its awesome, and they no longer carry milkduds) and/or sometimes a small bottle of Jack Daniels (but i buy fountain pop for mix so im still buying something from the establishment).

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

dairy products do that to me if I eat more than a little. case in point, I love cheese its, but the other day I was gobbling some down while playing video games and then the cramps set in, not pleasant, getting older sucks

Comment

• Duncan
                            Museum focus-groupie
                            • Jun 27, 2009

Aside from alcohol, which I just can't physically handle any more, I've started having acid reflux issues from dairy in the last few years; generally only from large quantities. Still, that put a damper on my late night bowls of cereal or ice cream. I tried soy milk (Silk) on cereal a few times, and I can more or less live with it. It tastes OK - it's just mental: I don't want to like soy milk. In my world, milk comes from cows (primarily), not beans.

The other thing is Doritos / corn chips. The last few times I've eaten way too many corn chips I've felt a bit off. My solution of being less of a pig appears to work, though.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                              Persistent Member
                              • Apr 28, 2013

I live in this zone! I dont eat popcorn but once in a blue moon but microwave, or two nights in a row, and I am toast. Started in my late teens with milk, tea, peanuts, and worst of all, onions. Used to be able to eat them all with no issues but now they all cause me problems. Onions can give me a violent reaction. At least you know what it was, Brian. I ate onions for years and didnt know that was the problem.

Comment

• Goblin19
                                Talkative Member
                                • May 2, 2002

Hector, you guys just hit a nerve with me. But even I sneak in candy. I just make sure I buy something else to help out the theatre and managers. Trust me I get that it is way too expensive. I have s family. Of course, my tickets are free so I don't have that expense. Unfortunately, at the theatre level we just don't make a lot of profit. If they searched you a few years ago, I get your sentiment. Sadly, a lot of theatres, including mine, now feel the need to do it. We specifically don't enforce the food rule when searching bags, though. Even you're loaded up.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎