Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I stopped taking everything after the initial diagnoses (other than fiber), so I will check this out ASAP. Thank you!
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• palitoy
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
      Are you taking any supplements? A few yrs ago I had a difficult time with an IBS "attack", lost 25 lbs over the course of a couple months, and had a similar type of pain that you describe. I did some research and gave this a try:

It's just peppermint, ginger, and fennel.. all things that are supposed to naturally soothe and calm your GI tract. It definitely did help me.
      Just want to say thank you again for this, it sent me to a health store near my Doctor where I found something similar for IBS sufferers. It's significantly reduced the stabbing pains and I almost feel normal, save for the inability to sleep and still having no appetite. I really appreciated this tip.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this. I hope everything gets back to normal very soon.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• JediJaida
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 14, 2008

I avoid that crap myself. I just can't stand the taste! It's all that artificial butter.

If I'm going to eat popcorn, I will get some JiffyPop, or Orville Redenbacher and eat THAT!!! It smells divine when it's popping, and when I put a little REAL butter on it, along with salt, paprika and a smidge of chili powder, it's great!
          JediJaida

Comment

• LadyZod
            Superman's Gal Pal
            • Jan 27, 2007

Diverticulitis was no fun. A year of non stop pain and frequent flare ups and finally two surgeries to get out of that funtown.

Fun fact for non sufferers: Diverticulosis is a condition where your large intestine, and colon develop little pockets, like potholes on an over used road. Diverticulitis is an inflammation of the individual diverticuli -Those potholes get full of gunk, stretch out and weaken "the road". Road gets too weak, and the asphalt cracks open. (Leading to said gunk leaking bacteria in places where bacteria should not be.)

Having been on all sides of this funtown (pain, surgery, resectioning, reversing, and finally removal) my advise to you, Brian... ice packs.

Nothing helped my left sided pain when I went to sleep like placing an ice pack directly on the area. Ice reduces inflammation, which is where the pain stems from.

To this day, if I over indulge in terms of food right before sleep, an ice pack on my left lower abdominal area is like a shot of the best narcotic out there.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
            Check out my art:
            Art Portfolio@Redbubble
            Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• mjaycox
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 16, 2008

Diverticulosis is unlikely to be your condition Brian, if your symptoms start so soon after eating. I believe you said 15 minutes. Transit time is required for irritating food stuffs to reach the terminal colon, which usually takes 6-12 hours. And it causes horrible cramping and pain, but usually not nausea.

Rapid reaction (less than 45 minutes) suggests to me either:

1) Gastritis (food hitting the stomach irritates stomach lining)
              2) Ulcers (time to get a upper endoscopy)
              3) Allergic food reaction (possible...)

Options 1 and 2 don't seem as likely to me, because you should also feel this pain with cold water, carbonated drinks, coffee and other common irritants.

3 seems most likely to me. The likelihood of developing a corn allergy at this late in life 20 years ago would have seemed nonsense to me. I'm not so sure anymore. But, if you were truly allergic to corn, you'd have a hard time with a lot more than just popcorn, as it corn is a near ubiquitous ingredient in so many foods.

My guess is you are allergic to the seasoning or the oil it's cooked in. Artificial snack seasonings, of the type popcorn would use, often contain glutamates (MSG is one type of glutamate) which lend an addictive, deep flavor, and make you very thirsty. In susceptible people, they can give you horrible stomach cramps and nausea.

The only way to know for sure is to try home-made popcorn and see.

Good luck

Matt
              Warm up?! We may as well sit around this cigarette!

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

I may be allergic to the oil as well, i've thought the same thing Matt, it's entirely too quick.

However, since i posted this, I have been struggling with all the diverticulitis symptoms. Popcorn is sadly no longer an option.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎