X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Breaking up with Popcorn

This one kills me because it's a 40 year relationship but my last 3 movie experiences have been beset by Nausea and cramps. Each time I cut out the thing I thought it was, so when I saw Rogue One I had it down to Popcorn and bottle water. Same deal, agony by the first 15 minutes of the movie.

I guess my body no longer agrees with the popcorn or whatever they call butter these days. This leaves me a man without a snack food as I don't eat sugar as a rule.

Anybody else develop a late in life food reaction like this? I love popcorn but it turned evil!
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

It may not be the popcorn itself, but the crap they put in/on it. Try making some at home and see what happens.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by enyawd72
      It may not be the popcorn itself, but the crap they put in/on it. Try making some at home and see what happens.
      Yeah you're probably right, I eat Smartfood a couple times a month and feel fine. I just need to pick another go to snack at the movies.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• emeraldknight47
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 20, 2011

Or take in your own popcorn unladen by the dreck they call either "oil" or "butter-flavoring." You simply tell the management that you have a condition which will allow you to only eat popcorn that is not prepared in their "stuff." They'll usually be pretty cool about it unless you run into some individual who wants to flaunt his "power," then you just ask to speak to his/her manager or you politely leave and tell them you'll take your business elsewhere.

I can't eat the movie theater popcorn anymore, either (although it always smell SO good), so I do as I described above or I just take in a bag of popcorn cakes in a non-noisy plastic bag. Either way, I get to enjoy my movie snack.
        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Ooh, that sucks. Yeah, I'd take in my own. I guess nachos aren't an option?

The only thing I can think of that I loved as a kid and just can't eat now is Long Johns Silvers fish. The greasy batter is just too much for me and I almost instantly regret it. Haven't eaten there in years.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Goblin19
            Talkative Member
            • May 2, 2002

Do you get butter on it? My son gets nauseous from the butter, but is fine with plain popcorn.

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

Brian, I don't wish to alarm you unneccesarily, but popcorn is a big no-no for people who have diverticulitis. I didn't know what that was until my mother suffered from it. It's not life threatening, but you may want to ask your doctor about it. Don't google it... doing that usually makes you think you're dying, and it really isn't life threatening. All I know is that popcorn kernels can be problematic for people who are prone to this.

The fact that the Smartfood doesn't bother you is a good sign. That stuff they put on the popcorn is something, but it's definitely not natural butter. Try what Dwayne suggested.

Sorry, man.

Incidentally, I can't understand how popcorn first got associated with the movie experience. When you're not eating it, and everyone around and behind you is, there's no food I can think of that sounds more distracting.

Comment

• VintageJoe70
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 12, 2016

Originally posted by palitoy
                Yeah you're probably right, I eat Smartfood a couple times a month and feel fine. I just need to pick another go to snack at the movies.
                I am addicted to Smartfood popcorn...the white cheddar...and I use to hate white cheddar popcorn...lol...
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  Ooh, that sucks. Yeah, I'd take in my own. I guess nachos aren't an option?

The only thing I can think of that I loved as a kid and just can't eat now is Long Johns Silvers fish. The greasy batter is just too much for me and I almost instantly regret it. Haven't eaten there in years.

Chris
                  Awww yeah, brother!! I used to love a big ol' platter of LJS fish and chicken planks!!! That batter, the flavor and texture of it, was just great!!! And the little pieces that fell off and collected at the bottom of the basket/box? Fast food nirvana to me!! I have learned my lesson as well, though, that my older stomach won't tolerate anything nearly as greasy as my preteen and teenage stomach. Eating at LJS these days would be tantamount to committing gastrointestinal suicide!
                  sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji
                    Brian, I don't wish to alarm you unneccesarily, but popcorn is a big no-no for people who have diverticulitis. I didn't know what that was until my mother suffered from it. It's not life threatening, but you may want to ask your doctor about it. Don't google it... doing that usually makes you think you're dying, and it really isn't life threatening. All I know is that popcorn kernels can be problematic for people who are prone to this.

The fact that the Smartfood doesn't bother you is a good sign. That stuff they put on the popcorn is something, but it's definitely not natural butter. Try what Dwayne suggested.

Sorry, man.

Incidentally, I can't understand how popcorn first got associated with the movie experience. When you're not eating it, and everyone around and behind you is, there's no food I can think of that sounds more distracting.
                    Diverticulitis can be life threatening. Don't you know my story?

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Brian, Brian, Brian...

Movie theater popcorn is not only garbage, but horribly overpriced.

I always make my own homemade popcorn. I get organic yellow or white popcorn kernels from my local health food store.

I cook it in this bad boy...

I don't use butter...all I add is a little olive oil...it tastes way better than from an air popped machine.

It only takes about three to five minutes...this stovetop popper is amazing, I love it...and well made...had mine for three years.

Once popped...use a new unused clean supermarket brown paper bag...place all the popcorn inside...add additional olive oil and sprinkle sea salt to taste...close lid...and shake.

Transfer to a large freezer bag (or plastic bag)...and place it inside a backpack...take it to the movie theater.

You'll be eating the tastiest and healthiest popcorn...plus aside from the initial stovetop popper purchase, and the first batch of popcorn kernels...your movie theater popcorn would've cost you a grand total of 25 cents, tops, lol.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

BTW, if you guys like eating candy at the theater...avoid buying those overpriced Milk Duds, Boston Baked Beans, Juicy Fruit, Hot Tamales, Skittles, Kit Kat, Nestle Crunch, Junior Mints, Sugar Babies, Whoppers, or whatever other candies are sold there...as they are like $5 per box, if not more.

The very same things are found at the Dollar Store...yes, for one buck, lol.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

I also sneak in my own Coke Zero...I'm not buying that waterdown overpriced movie theater soda...
                          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Have never had my backpack checked at my favorite theater...even if they tried, I wouldn't let them...it's my private property and none of their business. If they ever do...I'll demand my money back...and watch the bloody movie a few months later via Blu-ray or cable. I had them tried at this other theater once...and did exactly what I previously said...I want a refund. Well, they said, ok, you can go in with your unchecked backpack. They want your money, lol...
                            sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Hector
                              BTW, if you guys like eating candy at the theater...avoid buying those overpriced Milk Duds, Boston Baked Beans, Juicy Fruit, Hot Tamales, Skittles, Kit Kat, Nestle Crunch, Junior Mints, Sugar Babies, Whoppers, or whatever other candies are sold there...as they are like $5 per box, if not more.

The very same things are found at the Dollar Store...yes, for one buck, lol.
                              I get mine (when I do) at Wal-Mart for $.98, but a 2 cent difference certainly ain't gonna make ya or break ya! I think they have them here locally at Kroger for about a buck, too. When I smuggle in contraband, it's usually salted pistachios and raisins and maybe a handful of banana chips. If I want to feel particularly "healthy," I take in Snapea crisps in pretty much any flavor. And like you, I bypass the overpriced, watered down soft drinks AND the overpriced bottled water and just take in one of the bottles of water I can pick up at the grocery at 32 bottles for about 3 bucks.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎