X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Pod Stallions 49: The 2016 Retro Awards

Happy New Year! It's time for our annual salute to all the things that made us happy in 2016, especially those that harkened back to our childhoods and while it was kind of a rough year, there were still some nice bright spots.

The 2016 Retro Awards salutes the movies, books, and toys we raved about this year. It's a double decker episode and let's all make 2017 the best year ever, see you in January with another Pod Stallions.

Thanks for listening and happy new year!

Show notes:

Plenty more content on the PodStallions Facebook page!

PODSTALLIONS ON ITUNES
    PODSTALLIONS RSS FEED

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

Will there be a voting thread posted for the retro mego awards like we did last year or am I imagining that? Totally possible that I imagined that but remember sending the voting link to my brothers last year.
    I have never actually listened to any podcast in my life but think this one may be my first.
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Great show guys! I really enjoyed the overview on this past year. 2016 was a interesting year for my viewing habits. In one respect, I was introduced to a sensational piece of story telling (thanks to my childhood friend and brother, Emeraldknight). The show? Netflix’ Stranger Things. The retro approach to character building hit all the bells and whistles from my youth that established an addictive tone. It was such a great series (only eight episodes) that I watched it twice.

In terms of regular television, I was mostly absent in that crowd. My interest in the one show I did watch dropped measurably, which was the Flash. I just got tired of having to be reintroduced to the same characters in a “new reality” every season. Initially that was an interesting twist, but it was never anything I wanted to see each and every season. Plus it really made me question the integrity of the hero because Barry always wanted a redo at the expense of those he supposedly cared for. So here’s hoping they abandon that story device moving forward.

In terms of movies, Deadpool really stole the show for me this year. It took a popular formula and bravely turned it on it’s head, which was the rich tradition of the hero in comics. That was the real highlight of the year for me. I enjoyed Civil War but found myself getting bored with the familiarity of the ensemble profile. The DC efforts are best forgotten in my book.

I was really surprised how good ‘Shallows” turned out to be. They took a age old plot device and gave it a fresh approach. The Legend of Tarzan was another surprise given the critical slaying it took. I found that movie incredibly fun and almost episodic in it’s story structure. You could honestly look at this as a loose sequel to Greystoke since the character is now established in society and has to go back to the jungle to answer a call for help. I didn’t find anything outside the wheelhouse of the character in terms of expectations, but was really thrilled to see the film embrace a more individual adventure rather than drag viewers through another origin tale.

I saw Star Trek Beyond on Blu ray and while it was a good movie, it never felt like it took off for me. It felt more like a television plot instead of a epic tale for theaters. I did like the little homage at the end. Movies I want to see is Rogue One and Dr. Strange. I’ve heard nothing but great things from both and look forward to seeing them.

I enjoyed your discussion on the Monkees. 2016 was a great year for me with this band. I saw them locally at the Louisville Palace, which happen to occur on the same day as the funeral for Muhammad Ali. Peter Tork, ever the class act that he is, came out on stage and opened his jacket to reveal an image of Ali on his shirt. One of the best concerts I have seen in a long time. An endless catalogue of hits played with incredible passion and ability. Vocally Mickey remains incredibly gifted and near timeless.

This leads me into my favorite figure lines this year. FTC’s many variations on this band were pure heaven for me personally and easily rank at the top as something I truly enjoyed with child-like glee.

I really liked Dr. Mego and Diamond Select’s superhero sets of Thor, Daredevil, and Deadpool. Yeah I had issues with the modern Thor head too, but I put in my personal fix and I really liked the final look. Donald Blake and modern Thor are both on vintage type 2 Mego bodies. Daredevil was near flawless but I did replace the Murdock glasses with a pair of Alfred ones from FTC (lens painted black). They fit nicely and give him a cleaner look. Both sets were excellent and I found them both for about half the SRP, so I’m able to collect this line and do it at the price point I desire.

I bought allot of FTC figures in the retro Kresge packaging this year, but it was at road-kill prices (ranging from $8 to $15). That’s probably where I got burned out. I LOVED the Diamond Select B-9 Anti-matter variant. Nothing but PURE love for that line of robots. Have them all including the Golden Boy version. They all have different sayings directly from the series.

Honorable mentions include FTC’s Teen Titans, Batman ’66 RC Batman line, and the latest and greatest Superfriends entries. Also seeing Stretch Armstrong on the shelves was a pure delight. Glad to have him back in my collection again.

As always a great show guys. I always enjoy listening your reflections in this hobby. Good times!

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Thanks for the input Tom, right after we hung up so much good stuff came flooding in i almost wanted a redo. Deadpool was one of those things, as was the new Stretch Armstrong that I wish I had mentioned and AGGGGGHHHH I loved Legend of Tarzan and so did Jason. Until you mentioned it, I totally forgot about it. I am filled with remorse.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Fun episode! I haven't really tried to categorize what I loved best from 2016. It is indeed a great time to be a geek. I'm psyched that Cindy gifted me a Ash vs. Evil Dead season 1 set, so I can binge watch that very soon.

Something I fell into that I did not expect to (and honestly was kinda trying to avoid) was DC Collectibles' Batman: The Animated Series 6" line. With all the ReMego stuff out, I really didn't need another line to collect. But then I found super dirt cheap prices on a ton of figures at a Toy show in Cincinnati back in October, and I walked out with a nice starter collection. And a few days after Christmas, my birthday money was going to buy the Batmobile off of Amazon.

This line is GORGEOUS, and is really what fans wanted back in 1992. As much as I love my Kenner/Hasbro figures, these are dead-on, and no stupid Street Luge accessories to worry about!

I didn't see you post anything about it here, but I also loved the "nerd shame" episode you guys released last week. I have some very similar stories to what you two went through, so I feel your pain. Thanks for sharing.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

My favorite retro toys of 2016.

The Masters of the Universe Classics Filmation figures. It was a 33 year wait but I finally got figures of He-Man and Skeletor that actually look they do in the cartoon.

Bridge Direct classic Strawberry Shortcake. I never expected to see a full line of 1980s Kenner style Strawberry Shortcake toys again. It was awesome.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• jacoblb
              Persistent Member
              • May 7, 2009

Great shows, I listened to both last week. The dvd region issue is an easy fix with free decryption/ripping software. All my household dvd players are capable of playing DVD+/- R discs if need be. Several months back I was contemplating buying The Avengers Catherine Gale box set 2 overseas because it was $30 shipped rather than the expensive A&E edition, but luckily I found the A&E set at a great price.

I still need to watch The Nice Guys. It's in my pile to watch.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎