Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masters of the Universe Golden Books story book cartoons.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Masters of the Universe Golden Books story book cartoons.

A bit more obscure than the popular Filmation cartoon

Golden Books released very slightly animated versions of their MOTU story books on VHS for the home video market in the 80s. The sparse animated style reminds me a bit of the Marvel cartoons of the 60s.

The Golden story books started out more like the original mini comics but ended up much closer to the Filmation cartoon as the series went on. Well known artists, like Al McWilliams, illustrated the original story books and their art was carried over to the video story books.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Falstaff13
    Persistent Member
    • May 28, 2008

Wow--I never knew about these, and I love when something like this gets brought up for us to see. Thank you. I always liked the mini-storybooks that originally came with the figures.
    Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
    Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

Awesome! Loved the early mini-comics that came with the first wave of MOTU figures, and these Golden Book animations are very reminiscent of those.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• megowgsh
        Customego HoF Curator
        • Nov 19, 2003

Awesome-sauce!!!!

Thank you!
        Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Glad people are enjoying them. Golden Books actually made quite a few of them.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

The very day we got our VCR in 1984, I begged my mom for one of these tapes, and got it. I still have it...but no VCR!

I also have a Super Powers tape like this.

Thanks for posting!

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

Crazy. I remember reading the books, but had no idea they did animatics.

Thanks!

Comment

• Falstaff13
                Persistent Member
                • May 28, 2008

Keep these coming! Was the Super Powers one based on a mini-comic from a figure as well?
                Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Was the Super Powers one based on a mini-comic from a figure as well?
                  No, they were based on storybooks like MOTU.

Edited to add:

I found a few of them. They weren't produced by Golden Video, but by Kid Stuff, and they were based on Book and Record sets put out by that company. I forgot that part!

Chris
                  Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Dec 29, '16, 5:56 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• jacoblb
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 7, 2009

Very cool, a nice walk down memory lane. I like the Filmation stuff just fine, but I liked MOTU more based on the story and art and from the books. Things got weird for me with their mythology, like how Price Adam was the alter-ego long after I read stories when He-man just around being just that. Oh, well, world building. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by jacoblb
                      Very cool, a nice walk down memory lane. I like the Filmation stuff just fine, but I liked MOTU more based on the story and art and from the books. Things got weird for me with their mythology, like how Price Adam was the alter-ego long after I read stories when He-man just around being just that. Oh, well, world building. Thanks for sharing.
                      A lot of those changes pre-date Filmation. The wandering barbarian He-Man and sparsely populated post apocalyptic Eternia was dropped after the first four mini comics and Adam and Cringer were already around by the DC comics mini series. Adam did have to run off to the Cavern of Power every time he wanted to change into He-Man, though.

Comment

• Falstaff13
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 28, 2008

I did prefer the mythos in those original mini-comics, but I was also a fan of the Filmation comics. I think it's interesting that Teela has the look from the earliest of those books, with the serpent armor, that was mixed and matched initially with the (green) Sorceress.

The Super Powers video is also interesting--not the voice I would have given for Martian Manhunter at all. It reminds me of the record that came with the Steppenwolf mail-away figure. I still have that--somewhere--and need to dig it out.
                        Hugh H. Davis

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Sort of related and a neat bit of MOTU history.

Very early MOTU toy commercial with Filmation animation done more in the mini comic style.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                            HULK SMASH!
                            • Apr 3, 2010

/\

Now that was awesome! Love that animation.
                            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, really nice! Was that ever aired?

It reminded me of those British Superman anti-smoking commercials from around the same period, with "Nick-O-Teen".

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎