Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

I've been a fan of ALIEN since the first movie and have enjoyed them all (some more than others), but it's going to be great to see the franchise back in the hands of the man who started it all. Is it derivative of the films that have before it? Yes, most definitely, but, from what I've seen in the trailer, not in a bad way. Ridley Scott put his own brand stamp on ALIEN and James Cameron ran with that stamp, upped the ante and left his own indelible impression on the franchise with ALIENS. Fincher, who is every bit as visionary as Scott or Cameron should have left an impression of his own with ALIEN 3, but I have a feeling that both he and Jean-Pierre Jeanette, who directed ALIEN: RESURRECTION, were likely more hamstrung by the suits at Fox who didn't really care about another interpretation of the franchise so much as making a buck on them.

It looks, to me, like Scott is sort of merging the dark and spooky aspects of his film with some of the more bombastic attitudes found in ALIENS to create yet another bookmark in the series, an idea I don't mind at all. He's willing to take risks and he's evidently got enough faith in both his directorial skills and the state of visual effects that he's willing to bring the xenomorph out into the light of day, something I'm not sure has been done before.

And, as a person who's watched PROMETHEUS on several occasions, I have no issues with that particular segment of the Alien franchise and I honestly can't see why there are those who abhor it as much as they do. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, as they always say....
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
      Invincible Ironing Man
      • Feb 28, 2008

Not bad, Hopefully the trailer doesn't give away too much. They showed a lot.
      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• SKotK
        Career Member
        • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by Hector
        Prometheus was not fail...I LOVE that movie.
        I *wanted* to love it...I really did! But I just couldn't forgive the horrible characters and the way they interacted. That was the best and brightest Earth had, to send on this monumental mission? What a bunch of half-witted idiots and *******s! Naomi Rapace's character was good. Charlize Theron's character was good. Michael Fassbender's character was excellent. But the rest...ugh. Terrible.

And things like running in a straight line away from a falling ship...ridiculous.

I did think the film was gorgeous, though...the cinematography was amazing. Enough for me to buy it on blu-ray and watch again, just for the scenery.

I'm looking forward to the new one. Even if it's derivative (jury's still out on that one), I'm still likely to really enjoy it.

--SKot
        Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by SKotK
          I *wanted* to love it...I really did! But I just couldn't forgive the horrible characters and the way they interacted. That was the best and brightest Earth had, to send on this monumental mission? What a bunch of half-witted idiots and *******s! Naomi Rapace's character was good. Charlize Theron's character was good. Michael Fassbender's character was excellent. But the rest...ugh. Terrible.

And things like running in a straight line away from a falling ship...ridiculous.

I did think the film was gorgeous, though...the cinematography was amazing. Enough for me to buy it on blu-ray and watch again, just for the scenery.

I'm looking forward to the new one. Even if it's derivative (jury's still out on that one), I'm still likely to really enjoy it.

--SKot
          You do make some good points, which I happened to agree. Yes, running in a straight line away from the falling ship, ridiculous and stupid, agreed, ha. I also agree that most of the crew was dumb as heck. However, aside from the big three you liked...I also thought the Captain, Idris Elba, was a good competent character...and had to do what he had to do...ramming Prometheus into the Derelict ship, he had no choice.

You are spot on pointing out the cinematography, it was simply gorgeous. The scenery in the beginning, with the Engineer ready to sacrifice himself next to the rapids/waterfall...spectacularly beautiful.

I just thought the positives outweighed the negatives. I love the movie overall despite its shortcomings. I'd take Prometheus over garbage like Independence 2 any day of the week, plus vacations...

sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
            Good thing I didn't watch it then. After the dinner table trailer, I put myself on blackout mode.

Comment

• acrovader
              Career Member
              • Jan 19, 2011

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
              Gave away a lot? Looks like more of the same: a crew investigates a strange new world, all hell breaks loose, aliens kill off the crew off one by one, lots of screaming and blood. Nothing new or fresh here.

And if that is all there is to this movie, it's beneath the caliber of Scott. This looks more like it was directed by P.S. Anderson.
              I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

I want to see it including the third instalment that brings us to Alien-1

Comment

• drquest
                  ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                  • Apr 17, 2012

Here's a red band version of the new trailer.

Danny(Drquest)
                  Captain Action HQ
                  Retro shirts and stuff
                  More retro shirts
                  Stuff For Sale

Comment

• SKotK
                    Career Member
                    • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by Hector
                    You do make some good points, which I happened to agree. Yes, running in a straight line away from the falling ship, ridiculous and stupid, agreed, ha. I also agree that most of the crew was dumb as heck. However, aside from the big three you liked...I also thought the Captain, Idris Elba, was a good competent character...and had to do what he had to do...ramming Prometheus into the Derelict ship, he had no choice.
                    I forgot about the Captain! I liked him too. Good actor, good character.

You are spot on pointing out the cinematography, it was simply gorgeous. The scenery in the beginning, with the Engineer ready to sacrifice himself next to the rapids/waterfall...spectacularly beautiful.

I just thought the positives outweighed the negatives. I love the movie overall despite its shortcomings. I'd take Prometheus over garbage like Independence 2 any day of the week, plus vacations...

Well, when you put it that way...

There are actually some movies that are better off being watched with the sound off. Prometheus might be one of them. Aeon Flux is another, apparently.

--SKot

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• acrovader
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 19, 2011

All things considered, I really liked Prometheus- warts and all. It wasn't perfect by any means, but I liked how the emphasis was taken off of the xenomorphs and put on the engineers. The movie felt more than the usual 'monsters on the loose' story-line. I hope the new Alien movie follows that route and doesn't give us more than the tired, old, formula. I think Ridley Scott has a card up his sleeve; he's certainly a talented enough director to provide us with something above average. Hopefully this movie will deliver.

Comment

• SKotK
                        Career Member
                        • Mar 11, 2014

This sums up everything perfectly.

The Alien Franchise.jpg

--SKot

Comment

• tjmower
                          • Mar 12, 2017

When I saw the trailer in the theater before Logan, I couldn't help but think: "I've seen this movie already many times." I hope they don't just make the same old movie again. Prometheus, with its problems, was still something new and different. Aliens needs a new take on things, not just the same old "alien gets stuck in someone's guts and kills everyone" movie. I'd like to see more of the Engineers and their home world.

Comment

• acrovader
                            Career Member
                            • Jan 19, 2011

^^^^^^^^^Ditto.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                              HULK SMASH!
                              • Apr 3, 2010

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

That's one of the most haunting and beautiful posters I have ever seen in my life, wow...I want one badly, lol...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎