X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

PodStallions Mini Sode 2: Nerd Horror Stories

We're finally back after a few bumps in the road with our second mini sode (remember when we planned to do these monthly?).

To make it up to everyone, our second mini is all about bearing our souls. We get into some personal cringe worthy pain from the days where being a geek wasn't something attractive women dressed like Powergirl loudly proclaimed.

We talk about cosplaying at middle school, getting caught with toys by girls or even worse, your entire grade nine class and the lengths you'd go to keep our fandom on the DL.

Join us for 30 minutes of pain and shame, just in time for the holidays?

Topics Include: Kenner Super Powers, Doctor Who, Scarves, Star Wars, Mom, The Mall, fist fights, shame, Shogun Warriors, punch out books, shame, geekery, Colin Baker,

Hit us up on our facebook page with your feedback.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

I never went through the phase of being embarrassed to be seen with my parents. I was very shy but also didn't give a crap what people thought. It probably helped my Mom was into the same stuff I was. My Dad could get a bit fidgety and cranky if he thought we were taking to long at toy show or store, though

You, know, there's always been girl nerds. Yes, even in the 70s and 80s. Plenty of girls hanging out at bookstores looking at sci-fi and fantasy novels when I was a kid. From what I remember, nerd boys tended to be interested the cheerleaders and the popular girls and instead of the nerdy girls with the coke bottle glasses they actually would have had something in common with.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
      I

You, know, there's always been girl nerds. Yes, even in the 70s and 80s. Plenty of girls hanging out at bookstores looking at sci-fi and fantasy novels when I was a kid. From what I remember, nerd boys tended to be interested the cheerleaders and the popular girls and instead of the nerdy girls with the coke bottle glasses they actually would have had something in common with.
      Oh I wasn't claiming they're weren't but let's face it, it was five to one AT BEST, at least in my area. In fact, my first date was with a really pretty girl that liked Doctor Who, we saw Star Man. Our next date was to her church group, we became friends after that.

These days, Con attendance seems to be about fifty/fifty, that's progress to me.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
        Oh I wasn't claiming they're weren't but let's face it, it was five to one AT BEST, at least in my area.
        I can see that at big conventions at the time. But if you hung around mall book stores or went to doll shows you would have seen nerd girls as far as the eye could see.

I still do think part of it was nerd girls were probably of little interest to nerd guys at the time. My experience was no matter the lack of social skills (or hygiene level) it was the popular girls or nothing for nerd dudes. I was always thinking yeah good luck impressing them with your sci-fi trivia and pocket protectors.

My embarrassing nerd HS story.

I sat at the loser girl table through High school. That's where the smart girls, the "plain" girls, heavy girls and sci-fi fantasy nerd girls basically huddled together for safety during lunch hour. Nerd guys would actually pick on them to try to raise their social standing. There was this one little turd that thought it was amusing to throw bread crumbs in my hair. I have long frizzy ethnic hair. The crap that got tossed into my hair would stick like Velcro. Not fun. Yeah, I pretty much hated High school.
        Last edited by Werewolf; Dec 23, '16, 2:06 PM. Reason: typos
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I ran a till at a comic store briefly in the early nineties, I can't tell you how many smelly, obese, virginal guys would tell me how a comic heroine needed bigger boobs or that she was ugly. So i hear you on that, it wasn't the norm but it was often the loudest, sadly. A shop owner once told me "some of my customers, I'm their only interaction with the outside world every week and in certain cases, that's a good thing."

I have to tell you though, at my tiny local comic shop as a teen, there was one girl with a pull list. We were friends but she intimidated the heck out of me and i never let on I had a crush on her. She's very successful now, I'm not at all surprised.

My kid's girlfriend draws him Halo character posters, he's lucky and doesn't even know it.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• cjefferys
            Duke of Gloat
            • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
            My kid's girlfriend draws him Halo character posters, he's lucky and doesn't even know it.
            Attaboy, way to go! Man, kids grow up so fast.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎