Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

you know, I went and saw it again today and liked it even more. what's more, I went with a buddy who is a big fan and he asked me afterwards who they got to play Tarkin as he looked exactly the same as he did 40 years ago,. he had no idea it was CGI

Comment

• Goblin19
      Talkative Member
      • May 2, 2002

I thought the CGI for Tarkin was pretty amazing. Not perfect, but it's getting pretty darn close.

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

As I said in an earlier post...that Tarkinn CGI is very close, not quite there yet... but coming pretty damn close putting live actors outta of a job...

sigpic

Comment

• phil
          Persistent Member
          • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by Hector
          As I said in an earlier post...that Tarkinn CGI is very close, not quite there yet... but coming pretty damn close putting live actors outta of a job...

Mark Hamil once joked that if George Lucas could find a way to make movies with out actors he'd do it. I know Lucas wasn't responsible for CGI Tarkin but I was reminded of Hamil's comment.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

I'm the last guy in the world to see it. I enjoyed it, mostly because it kind of felt like one of those early Roy Thomas Star Wars comics and that it lacked all the "Cutesy Ootsy" qualities that have followed the brand since ROTJ.

Not sure I loved that Leia was that close at the end, seems to make her "diplomatic mission" spiel seem lame.

I wanted more sideburns on the Imperials and the CGI Tarkin will forever be in my nightmares. Enjoyed that the Jyn character wasn't a superwoman and that the droid was a jerk. The fan service wasn't as distracting as it was in "Force Awakens" to me.

Off to watch the Plinkett take finally.....
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• starsky
              veteran member
              • Aug 26, 2007

just saw it with my boy and we both loved it. going to watch a new hope right now. lol!

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

I just want to point out that Plinkett is fighting the Internet and kind of winning?
                I don't totally agree with the disdain thrown at the film but I see his points.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

First video I've watched of that fellow and I couldn't get through it. It's like he is trying to be like the comic book guy from the Simpsons. We finally have good Star Wars movies and I think some people are just trying to be negative just for the sake of it. I don't mean to be a downer for people that enjoy his videos. Just not for me.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• huedell
                    Museum Ball Eater
                    • Dec 31, 2003

Unfortunately it appears that Plinkett is wasting his time shooting at fish in the nerd barrel... I'm kinda spent bagging on the baggers... I think it can be summed up by saying that Plinkett et al come across as not being satisfied with a movie they can't just say is "good" rather (as opposed to what they were able to previously with the easily bashed hard to swallow prequels and the generally hard to criticize TFA).

RO might not have been a homerun (or even a triple maybe), but it was (at the least) okay... and HITB/Plinkett just can't let it lie. That's how I see it anyway.
                    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
                      First video I've watched of that fellow and I couldn't get through it. It's like he is trying to be like the comic book guy from the Simpsons. We finally have good Star Wars movies and I think some people are just trying to be negative just for the sake of it. I don't mean to be a downer for people that enjoy his videos. Just not for me.
                      It's an acquired taste but one I like even when I don't agree, mostly because they back their opinion up with a solid argument.

I didn't like their take on Civil War and I am surprised they hated this so much, I get where they are coming from but don't agree.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                        Permanent Member
                        • May 15, 2009

Mr. Plinkett's stuff on the prequels was brilliant, well put together and funny in a twisted way. Those "movies" were better than the movies he was reviewing. But at this point, he's just going back to the well to complain about good movies.

As for Tarkin, watched it with a bunch of people who aren't Star Wars fans... None of them knew he wasn't real. And only one asked about Leia, simply saying "was that really her?" You only know it's fake, if you know.
                        Last edited by ODBJBG; Jan 3, '17, 4:29 PM.

Comment

• phil
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 11, 2007

I spoke to a couple and their son after seeing it the other day. The boy loved it and his parents were amazed when I told them Tarkin wasn't real. They had no idea.

Comment

• Spyweb007
                            Persistent Member
                            • Apr 18, 2006

I just saw it over the weekend, liked it a lot, but I think I actually miss George Lucas a little, he had a way of "bringing the viewer along for the ride" in the original trilogy. You did not have multiple character introductions, planet/city introductions and so on to set up the plot that were all pulled together in those, instead your followed the important characters from the beginning of the film to the end as they met each new character and travelled to each destination. I think that's why the pacing in Rogue One feels off for the first half of the film, it jumps around to establish all the players, which a lot of movies do, but not so much the previous Star Wars movies.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                              galactic yo-yo
                              • Apr 6, 2006

Saw it tonight on Vudu thanks to the $5 off that Roku gave me. Like most it was good,not great. I think the build up was too slow. Gotta get to Jedha,then get to Yavin,then got to find Galen Erso,then back to Yavin,then got to get the Death Star plans. The little nods and winks didn't bother me because they weren't over the top. It's pretty much "blink and you miss it" which is fine by me. Tarkin didn't bother me because he didn't seemed to be overused. Leia shows up at the end so I'm not sure why that's causing a stink. I have to admit,having the lenses in Vader's helmet from ANH was a nice touch.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎