Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clemso
    Talkative Member
    • Aug 8, 2001

I thought like a few here that it lacked the presence of a epic John Williams theme tune. I didn't like the Tarkin, Leia cgi, it just didn't quite convince. Walrus face was a fun cameo though. Over all though, it was a solid movie and I loved the end battle on Scariff.

Comment

• sprytel
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 26, 2009

I loved the fact that they were not connected... not the "chosen one"... not the best in the universe. These were regular, flawed people doing what needed to be done for a cause they believed in. I thought it grounded the whole franchise in a really good way.

Comment

• phil
        Persistent Member
        • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by sprytel
        I loved the fact that they were not connected... not the "chosen one"... not the best in the universe. These were regular, flawed people doing what needed to be done for a cause they believed in. I thought it grounded the whole franchise in a really good way.
        Exactly.

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Ditto...
          sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

I agree it works, but it's also very anti-Star Wars.

Comment

• huedell
              Museum Ball Eater
              • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by hedrap
              I agree it works, but it's also very anti-Star Wars.
              A negative might be that RO is very "anti-Star Wars" in tone, but, IMHO, the positive of the negative of it BEING (tonally) anti-Star Wars is that it's a method that produces opportunities to insert the real "brick & mortar" SW-nerd stuff (that's usually reserved for EU stories) in an actual live-action SW film.

I am not that hardcore a nerd except for certain things... I want to be a hardcore SW nerd, but, sadly, I never connected w/SW EU the way I connected w/MOTU (He-Man) EU and other stuff...so, a movie that does the heavy-lifting for me (i.e. using my brain/imagination/patience) is gREATLY welcomed, despite the seeming contradiction of my tastes.

Not to mention, the only SW EU that I am actually quite familiar with & enjoy a lot (SPLINTER OF THE MIND'S EYE & the original SW 1976 novel) are referenced multiple times alongside SO many other hardcore SW easter eggs that I am overloading on this nerd joy...

...heck, I liked TFA much better than RO... YET, I have much more an urge to go see it for the fourth time EVERY NIGHT... looking at the clock and considering the 8 minute walk to the theater until the last showing at midnight...

and... I'll have that feeling EVERY NIGHT until it leaves the theater.

And this is the movie that is my 5th fave in the franchise... and the ONLY one of the "Live-Action Eight SW films" that I'd want to re-edit if I could (I think the pacing is SO off... yet, I think it's immensely more salvageable than the prequels, which I wouldn't even bother with).
              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

The pacing is uneven. I think the big story problem is the side effect of the Death Star as lead villain. It's like Jaws; when it appears, something bad is about to happen and you can't stop it until the end of the movie, because that's the ending of the story.

R1 would have been the perfect scenario for Bobba Fett as the main threat. Saw Gerrara is the exact target you would send a bounty hunter like Fett to assassinate. in the process, Fett finds out the missing pilot was on a mission. Tarkin sends Fett after the pilot, leading him to Eadu. Disntegration Ray to Galen Erso etc...

I think it would have given them more options instead of blowing up Jedha and Scarif. A showdown scene between Vader/Fett and Zatoichi/Ronin as Jyn/Cassian try to escape, then Fett opposite Vader on the rebel command ship, taking scalps. It would have setup alot regarding what Fett is doing before Empire and why he wasn't used on Tattooine in New Hope.

Comment

• huedell
                  Museum Ball Eater
                  • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by hedrap
                  I think it would have given them more options instead of blowing up Jedha and Scarif. A showdown scene between Vader/Fett and Zatoichi/Ronin as Jyn/Cassian try to escape, then Fett opposite Vader on the rebel command ship, taking scalps. It would have setup alot regarding what Fett is doing before Empire and why he wasn't used on Tattooine in New Hope.
                  GrrrrEAT ideas as usual, hedrap!
                  "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• hedrap
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 10, 2009

^Thanks. It was the feeling when Krennick was after Jyn/Cassian. There was no way he was going to stop Jyn...maybe Cassian, but his death would be sacrificial. So when they were on the scaffold, you could see what was coming. Make that scenario Fett and Cassian is a dead man unless either they wanted to set up a Fett/Cassian rivalry or Jyn saves him. Cass would have been the perfect foil in a Fett standalone, the pre-Solo guy who is actually killed by Bobba.

Comment

• acrovader
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 19, 2011

I really liked the look of that asteroid colony early in movie. I wish we'd get more of that type of stuff in future SW movies. Frankly, I'm tired of desert/rocky planets. Tarkin didn't look too great and they could've easily left him out and it wouldn't of altered the movie much. Like I said before, I didn't like the movie because it really wasn't much fun. I saw it in 3D and probably should've seen it in 2D instead. If I had, I probably would've liked it better. I thought the movie was just too drab and tedious. I sorely needed the whimsy of the previous SW movies. And the lack of the SW theme song from most of the movie didn't help either.
                      I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• boss
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 18, 2003

Going to see it for the second time later today.
                        Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• phil
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 11, 2007

Saw it again today and enjoyed it. I was able to spot the ship from Star Wars Rebels this time.

Comment

• fallensaviour
                            Talkative Member
                            • Aug 28, 2006

Watched it last night in 3-D with my son and youngest daughter we all loved it.
                            My son thought it was excellent but lacked something he just hasn't figured out yet???...lol
                            My son and I might sneak off to see it again.
                            “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                              valar morghulis
                              • Mar 8, 2005

Loved the Half in the Bag review.. "AT-STs! AT-STs!" Also agree with most of their review, but I still managed to walk out of the theater feeling like I saw a satisfying SW movie. I think I walk the line between them and the hardcore fans

Originally posted by samurainoir
                              I had an enjoyable experience watching it. Likely because of the fan service. I think the Half in the Bag guys are on the same page as why I had my issues with it, and why I like it but don't love it. My brother really loved it as a plot driven war movie. I guess I has hoping for more of a character driven heist movie?

The dour tone. The lack of character and true drive/motivation in this misfit band of dirty dozen characters. Forrest Whittaker choosing to die for no apparent reason other than the paint by numbers mentor dying story beat. Tarkin and Leia looking like they fell into the uncanny valley... seeing the real actors who stood in for them, I think they would have been bettered serviced just letting those actors be the recast versions in subtle prosthetics of make-up. But all nitpicks given that this is a popcorn film that I actually liked. Not anxious to watch it multiple times though, like Force Awakens.

Comment

• huedell
                                Museum Ball Eater
                                • Dec 31, 2003

The Half-In-The-bag guys review reveals a jadedness I wouldn't have expected from them. A lot of their criticisms were taken to the extreme, and it took being a SW-nerd from being realistically self-depreciating to cruel self-hate IMHO.

ROGUE ONE is far from perfect and lacks a good bit of the vintage SW-vibe... but, reasonably so IMHO.

And the Tarkin CGI criticisms (like anyone elses) are needlessly over the top (regarding their "realism")... those RO effects are fine enough.

I had a friend of mine whose wife had no idea Tarkin was CGI.... why? Because despite her having memories of Tarkin from the original, she had no idea who Cushing "the actor" was, and, as such, why he'd be being tributed in an animation model. Guess what? That's how most casual SW fans would look at that. That's the bottom line.

And, yet those HITB hyenas couldn't stop referring back to it, kinda threatening the legitimacy of their take IMHO. I expect that attitude from less educated movie reviewers who would fall back on SW-nostalgia-bias to make that mistake... but not them. Oh well.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎