Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

I think collectors are the major market for the action figures at this point, not kids so much

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by Hector
      This video talks a bit about different Darth Vader suits...mostly battle wormed vs shiny and presentable...

http://screenrant.com/darth-vader-co...ged-rogue-one/
      that actually, is a very logical take on the differences

Comment

• phil
        Persistent Member
        • May 11, 2007

I wonder if someday we'll learn that the medals Luke and Han got were called something like the Rogue One Medal of Valor in honor of the sacrifice made by Jyn Erso and the others.

Supposedly the ending was reshot and reworked. There are plenty of stills to confirm this. I would like to know if the original ending had everyone dying.

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
          that actually, is a very logical take on the differences
          Yeah, kinda cool...
          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

I'm inside the movie theater right now...movie starts in about 15 minutes.

IMAX 3D, baby!

I'll be back later in the night to chime in.

Thanks for the posts, truly enjoyed them.

Later!

sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by phil
              I wonder if someday we'll learn that the medals Luke and Han got were called something like the Rogue One Medal of Valor in honor of the sacrifice made by Jyn Erso and the others.

Supposedly the ending was reshot and reworked. There are plenty of stills to confirm this. I would like to know if the original ending had everyone dying.
              It looks like Jyn and Cass originally made it off the planet in the original teaser shots.

My gut says the switch isn't simply about R1. Jyn was 22 in R1. Force Awakens is 30 years after Jedi and Rey was 19-20. So a 33 y/o Jyn meets Luke right after Jedi and has Rey. Something happens to Jyn, Luke goes full Kenobi and Rey ends up growing up like her mom did...and now they dropped it all. Except Felicity has a sequel contract still in place.

And I keep thinking there's a foreshadow to the kyber stone around Jyn's neck that was deemphasized in the revisions, which will come back to play with Rey.

Comment

• phil
                Persistent Member
                • May 11, 2007

Felicity Jones joked when she was on Kelly Ripa's show that some people think there is a connection between Jyn and Rey because she and Daisy Ridley have the same hair color and accent.
                Last edited by phil; Dec 20, '16, 9:38 PM.

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by hedrap
                  It looks like Jyn and Cass originally made it off the planet in the original teaser shots.

My gut says the switch isn't simply about R1. Jyn was 22 in R1. Force Awakens is 30 years after Jedi and Rey was 19-20. So a 33 y/o Jyn meets Luke right after Jedi and has Rey. Something happens to Jyn, Luke goes full Kenobi and Rey ends up growing up like her mom did...and now they dropped it all. Except Felicity has a sequel contract still in place.

And I keep thinking there's a foreshadow to the kyber stone around Jyn's neck that was deemphasized in the revisions, which will come back to play with Rey.
                  Wow, my mind is blown with your theory! That actually could've been really cool of Jyn was Rey's mother, given their parallel upbringings. Wonder if we'll ever know the original story treatments. I think in some ways, the revisions to the film make it more interesting to consider the film after viewing it, and wonder what might have been.

Comment

• phil
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 11, 2007

Maybe if they had survived, Jyn and company could have become a commando squad or black ops team for the Rebel Alliance.

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

I think it comes down to Abrams and his degree of involvement with the franchise. I'm wondering if because he bailed on the sequels, his ideas were scrapped. Jyn/Rey and a number of the Rogue One/Force Awakens relationships to the original trilogy have a very Lost universal connectivity to them. That's what he does.

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

I friggin LOVED the movie...everyone was great, but Felicity Jones was especially great...I adored her...she's my favorite actress right now, lol.

Tarkin CGI was spectacular...scary spectacular...working actors should be very afraid...they are going to be replaced soon. Princess Leia was good too, albeit in a very short one line cameo.

Darth Vader, my man...that was baddarze.

Shout out to Donnie Yen, one of my favorite action stars, but as always, brought humility, soul, and even a little humor to his role.

I actually liked the new score, something fresh and new, but also appreciated the bits of old school and familiar Williams stuff mixed in, good stuff.

And finally, shout out to my boy Diego Luna...orale, buey...estás en Star Wars, te aventastes, carnal, lol.

I liked it better than Awakens.

Rogue One only bows to New Hope and Empire to me, not too shabby...

sigpic

Comment

• phil
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 11, 2007

I agree with Hector. I was especially interested in this movie when I learned Felicity Jones was going to be in it. It is also my third favorite Star Wars movie after the original and Empire.

Comment

• huedell
                            Museum Ball Eater
                            • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by hedrap
                            I think it comes down to Abrams and his degree of involvement with the franchise. I'm wondering if because he bailed on the sequels, his ideas were scrapped. Jyn/Rey and a number of the Rogue One/Force Awakens relationships to the original trilogy have a very Lost universal connectivity to them. That's what he does.
                            Is that "connectivity" any more "Lost" than it is "original trilogy/prequels Star Wars"?

Whatever the case, it's (IMHO) another case of "I would love that---- but general audiences on the whole would probably scoff."

Modern audiences seem to look for things like that "too many interconnected relationships" stuff to revel in their nitpicking.
                            "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

The previews look pretty good.

Comment

• hedrap
                                Permanent Member
                                • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by huedell
                                Is that "connectivity" any more "Lost" than it is "original trilogy/prequels Star Wars"?
                                Yep. That has been a Star Wars hallmark and it could be argued they were the ones to make it work the best because of The Force. That's why I think Abrams laid out a larger connection; it's the common ground between him and the franchise. And, I dunno.

Whatever the case, it's (IMHO) another case of "I would love that---- but general audiences on the whole would probably scoff."

Modern audiences seem to look for things like that "too many interconnected relationships" stuff to revel in their nitpicking.
                                It's ironic. I'm one of the "enough connectivity" people, because Bad Robot pushed it too far, too often. Look at Cloverfield; it's as a macguffin made into a franchise to use as a marketting ploy. It literally means nothing to the story.

Marvel is the other big culprit. Connectivity has never been true, but they got the fans to believe their was some giant latticework idea playing out. In reality, it was just a production slate of crossovers and easter eggs. The only underlying thread that connects are the infinity gems as they're important in each movie appearance and become central later. But Ultron, which Fiege sold as a culmination, wasn't.

That's why we don't hear "it's all connected" unless it's Loeb and Netflix. I mean, look at Inhumans. They sold this IMAX/ABC thing as "finally Inhumans has arrived", then ABC walked it back to a special presentation of a two-hour telemovie, then Marvel quietly admitted "we're still planning on an Inhumans movie-movie", and now it has no crossover with Netflix or MCU and tangentially connects to AOS.

With Star Wars, connectivity is at the heart. It's clunky in the preq-sequels, but Rogue One made it work. That's why with Jyn not Rey's mom...I don't know how they find a better character or actress. It would be weird to meet like, a Kate Beckinsale, because character-wise...how is she not going to be a Leia knock-off? And if Rey's not Luke's daughter...how do they explain her being more Force innate than the Skywalkers? Is she a Kenobi? a Qui-Gon? To make her "hey, this lady is really powerful we need her help" is a serious departure from audience expectations.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎