X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YoungOnce
    Career Member
    • Aug 29, 2007

All Consoles Online Only?

Is it possible to get an X-Box or PS and just play games on it without being online? It seems like you have to be able to download updates to play.
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by YoungOnce
    Is it possible to get an X-Box or PS and just play games on it without being online?
    Yes, single player games still have offline play. But, unfortunately, many PS4 and XBOX One games ship in a glitchy and unfinished state and need large day one patches. So you can't patch or update the games with out being at least temporarily online.

So far this gaming generation has been a huge disappointment. I'm beyond tired of the massive mandatory installs and lengthy day one patches. I miss putting in the cartridge or disc and just having it play. I am SO looking forward to Nintendo Switch and going back to cartridges.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• drquest
      ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
      • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Werewolf
      Yes, single player games still have offline play. But, unfortunately, many PS4 and XBOX One games ship in a glitchy and unfinished state and need large day one patches. So you can't patch or update the games with out being at least temporarily online.

So far this gaming generation has been a huge disappointment. I'm beyond tired of the massive mandatory installs and lengthy day one patches. I miss putting in the cartridge or disc and just having it play. I am SO looking forward to Nintendo Switch and going back to cartridges.
      The switch won't help much with that. Nintendo will be delivering as much as possible digitally, and those games you buy will need patches as well. They just don't have room to add an optical drive to the switch or they'd ship them out on disc, much cheaper to produce those than selling solid state cartridges.
      Danny(Drquest)
      Captain Action HQ
      Retro shirts and stuff
      More retro shirts
      Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by drquest
        The switch won't help much with that. .
        Yes, there will be games available digitally as well as downloadable content. But there will be no mandatory installs and very limited storage means no more 30 gig plus day one patches. I have a 3DS and Wii U. Patches are small and uncommon.

The Master Chief Collection for the XBOX One had an initial mandatory 65 gig install. That's a huge chunk of storage space and that's not even counting the additional massive 20 gig day one patch and updates. That would never fly on a Nintendo system. Especially one that has to double as a portable system.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Spyweb007
          Persistent Member
          • Apr 18, 2006

Nintendo has always been more concerned with a smooth, easy to use interface with their products than Microsoft or Sony. Hopefully that will continue with the Switch, and they will continue to remember that game consoles are toys, and need to provide a fun user experience, not frustration.

Comment

• ODBJBG
            Permanent Member
            • May 15, 2009

Nintendo rarely has patches or updates that need to be put onto their games.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎