Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting lack of villains in pre-1977 action figures..

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acrovader
    Career Member
    • Jan 19, 2011

Interesting lack of villains in pre-1977 action figures..

I started playing with action figures around the late 70s, right when the ubiquitous 3.75" figures started hitting the shelves. I have an older brother who had some of the 12" G.I. Joes, Evel Knevil, and Six Million Dollar Man toys that I really didn't play with much. What I find interesting is that there wasn't much in the way of villains in the pre-1977 toy lines (disregarding MEGO's Super Heroes and Star Trek and Space 1999 and POTA). I mean, Big Jim had a couple (?) towards the end of the run and the 12" Joes had diminutive 'Intruders'. I know Evel Knevil was a real guy, but no nemesis was created to go along with the line. I wonder what it would've been like to play with some of these before the days of Darth Vader and Baron Karza, etc. entered the scene. And even the 1980s toy lines were villain heavy (as compared to the decade before). That said, I always thought the bad guys usually made for some of the best action figures.
    I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I think the philosophy was kids would created their own play scenarios, so a "storyline" didn't have to be devised for them. Lines like G.I. Joe: RAH, MOTU, Transformers, etc. gave us nearly equal sides of good and evil and a fairly coherent backstory. The big bad was no doubt influenced by the success of Star Wars and the instantly iconic Darth Vader.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Johnny West had a few but you'd have to count the Indians --- which today they wouldn't be bad guys.

As a matter of fact I think General Custer and Sheriff Garrett would be more likely to be bad.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey

As a matter of fact I think General Custer and Sheriff Garrett would be more likely to be bad.
        Custer was the bad guy.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• 4NDR01D
          Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
          • Jan 22, 2008

Captain Action had Dr. Evil
          Major Matt Mason had Calisto

Comment

• drquest
            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
            • Apr 17, 2012

12" GiJoe had Germans and Japs, and even Russians
            Danny(Drquest)
            Captain Action HQ
            Retro shirts and stuff
            More retro shirts
            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I'm all about the villains. I see your point somewhat, but as noted GI Joe and Capt. Action had foes. And Mego!
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• drquest
                ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                • Apr 17, 2012

SMDM had Maskatron, Bigfoot and the Venus Space Probe later.
                Danny(Drquest)
                Captain Action HQ
                Retro shirts and stuff
                More retro shirts
                Stuff For Sale

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Oooh, Maskatron was so darn cool, and I nearly had a nervous breakdown wanting Bigfoot.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

They should have made a villain for the Steve Scout line. Like that bullying Webelo kid at camp who somehow guessed my orientation before I did.

Comment

• warlock664
                      Persistent Member
                      • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                      They should have made a villain for the Steve Scout line. Like that bullying Webelo kid at camp who somehow guessed my orientation before I did.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                        • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by drquest
                        SMDM had Maskatron, Bigfoot and the Venus Space Probe later.
                        Sears also made the exclusive Dr. Kromedome for Steve Austin, right?

And something it's important to understand. The early 70s had a very anti-war sensiblity. Many parents didn't want their kid fighting w/ toys. So that's why GI Joe had the Adventure Team and there were stricter regulations over violence in cartoons. Reagan came along and changed all that, and that's why you got cartoons like GI RAH w/ 82 acts of violence per 1/2 hour episode. (quote from book "Turmoil in the Toybox"). But Mego had some villians. Lizard, Green Goblin, Gorn, Klingons,Talosians, The Keeper. Later on 12" GIJoe had the Intruders. Big Jim had Dr. Steel and later on PACK. But I think it was more fun to invent storylines than one that was planned out for you by a cartoon or comic.
                        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Jason73
                          Correctamundo!
                          • Jan 11, 2009

The Adventure Team had The Intruders to deal with.
                          Happy Days-Mego Style

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                            that's why you got cartoons like GI RAH w/ 82 acts of violence per 1/2 hour episode. (quote from book "Turmoil in the Toybox").
                            I don't recall the show being that action packed and um yeah, Turmoil in the Toybox. The author of that had some bizarre ideas about cartoons. Like He-Man was demonic, Yoda was satanic and Smurfs were undead homosexuals.
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

The author of Turmoil in the Toybox discussing 80s cartoons and toys. Just wow.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎