X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Star Wars....Only at Sears

Another Christmas page that made me crazy, those "exclusive" figures came on these weird shrunk wrapped cards and it drove me crazy tracking them down as a kid.

Now, I wish I'd kept them as they're worth a bundle.For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • megowgsh
    Customego HoF Curator
    • Nov 19, 2003

Love that version of the Death Star.
    Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

i don't remember that Death Star playset from when I was a kid but that thing is awesome

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
        i don't remember that Death Star playset from when I was a kid but that thing is awesome
        That was Canada's and Europe's version of the Death Star. I like it as well.
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• SKotK
          Career Member
          • Mar 11, 2014

It doesn't get much better than the #26 "utility belt" for sheer crap value, though. That thing was reportedly pulled by Lucasfilm because they didn't want their name on junk products like that.

--SKot
          Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by SKotK
            It doesn't get much better than the #26 "utility belt" for sheer crap value, though. That thing was reportedly pulled by Lucasfilm because they didn't want their name on junk products like that.
            And now worth a small fortune. I knew a former Irwin toy guy, he had some funny stories.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

They couldn't figure out how to put Luke into the Landspeeder. He has a leg in each seat.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• megowgsh
                Customego HoF Curator
                • Nov 19, 2003

Dengar got stuck with the Droids. Kind of like having to sit at the kids table for the holiday dinners.
                Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• drquest
                  ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                  • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by megowgsh
                  Dengar got stuck with the Droids. Kind of like having to sit at the kids table for the holiday dinners.
                  Yeah and Bossk is checking out Leia...
                  Danny(Drquest)
                  Captain Action HQ
                  Retro shirts and stuff
                  More retro shirts
                  Stuff For Sale

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

Oh, I clearly remember this catalog page from when I was a kid, great stuff!

Originally posted by drquest
                    That was Canada's and Europe's version of the Death Star. I like it as well.
                    In Canada, we got both versions of the Death Star (perhaps the only country that did?)

I'm surprised those utility belts were still kicking around by 1980, I thought Lucas put the kibosh on those very shortly after Irwin/Kenner Canada released them (hence their rarity).

Comment

• Goblin19
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 2, 2002

Love it. I desperately want that Death Star, actually any Death Star will do.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                        HULK SMASH!
                        • Apr 3, 2010

Fantastic. I remember staring endlessly at that very catalogue page as a kid.
                        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Actorman
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Oct 4, 2010

What were they thinking with some of those figure groupings? Every set has at least one "original 12" figure in it. Set 16 has four!! Since this would have been the third Christmas for the line ('78, '79 and '80), I'm sure most kids would already have had the original versions of the primary characters (Luke, Han, Darth, 3PO, R2, etc.), so this makes it hard for parents to avoid having to end up buying duplicate figures. It would have made much more sense to group them by movie and theme. There could have been a Hoth set, a Bespin Set, bounty hunters set, etc.

And they were still selling Dewbacks at this point????

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

the Dewback was brought back towards the end of the line as well, along with at least the Landspeeder, and possibly some others

Comment

• tay666
                              Career Member
                              • Dec 27, 2008

Originally posted by Actorman
                              What were they thinking with some of those figure groupings? Every set has at least one "original 12" figure in it. Set 16 has four!! Since this would have been the third Christmas for the line ('78, '79 and '80), I'm sure most kids would already have had the original versions of the primary characters (Luke, Han, Darth, 3PO, R2, etc.), so this makes it hard for parents to avoid having to end up buying duplicate figures. It would have made much more sense to group them by movie and theme. There could have been a Hoth set, a Bespin Set, bounty hunters set, etc.
                              I am sure it was completely intentional.
                              How else were they supposed to keep moving those original 12 figures. Most kids already had one.
                              So someone had the idea of grouping them with new figures.
                              You want the new stuff, gotta take some of the old stuff with it.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎