X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • libby 1957dog
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 3, 2009

Gary Numan: Android in La La Land

caught this last night ,full disclosure not a fan ,never bought a record of his ,and honestly thought he was some sort of bowie circa thin white duke era wannabe and a bit of a joke really .
    but while still not likely to buy his music ,ive got a lot of respect for him and a great deal of goodwill towards him and his family ,gary comes across as a very talented ,complex troubled ,warm family man if thats not a contradiction in terms ,well it is i suppose and some of that is what makes this such a entertaining watch ,not sure how well known he was and how he is now viewed in the usa ,but he seems quintessentially british in his attitude and self deprecating humour ,and this film covers his relocation to LA and the comeback trail ,well worth a watch imo

It has been well over three decades since Gary Numan’s supernova moment in the pop firmament in the late 1970s, but as this new, and rather fine, documentary profile reveals, the man is still gamely plugging away: putting out records, soaking up acclaim and conducting a pretty good imitation of a normal family life – or as normal as it can be when you have married your number one fan, put in guest appearances with Nine Inch Nails and fail to remember, until after you’ve emigrated there, that guns are legal in the US.

For those who remember Numan as a panstick-caked, near-mute Kraftwerk clone, the new version will be something of a shock. Habitually clad in rock’n’roller’s dark grey T-shirt and jeans, Numan practically runs at the mouth, detailing his psychological and emotional difficulties, his creative inspirations, his relationship with his parents, and his unswerving devotion to his wife Gemma.

In fact, the last of these is probably the most attractive aspect of the film and the story is told at some length. A devoted camp follower in Numan’s pop-star period, Gemma found herself being asked out on a date by her idol as the musician tried to cheer her up after her mother died. A fairly heartbreaking summary of miscarriages and fertility issues followed, but to both their surprise they’ve ended up with three small daughters. With suitably rocker-kid names – Raven, Persia and Echo – they are still young enough to be both baffled by exactly what it is their dad does, and unaffectedly pleased at the attention it brings them. And I bet not many music documentaries feature scenes of a pop icon yelling at his children while driving them across America in a giant camper-van.

It turns out that Numan is a natural for this sort of documentary: unafraid to mine his own past or chunter on about his present and future. It also helps that the directors, Rob Alexander and Steve Read, have no agenda other than uncritically recording Numan’s utterances, and throwing in the odd bit of visual flash when the opportunity arises. Ostensibly, they are there to document Numan’s shift to Los Angeles (hence the La La Land of the title), but their actual accomplishment is to conjure up a portrait of an intelligent, idiosyncratic and really rather admirable musical personality.
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

Haven't seen this yet...but I do remember the one hit he had in the US 'Cars'. I also know him because he was a big influence on a band that I love which is Ultravox. They actually influenced each other. Wasn't Numan an Air Force Pilot? A lot of these guys just disappear...but I do know he has a HUGE following in Europe.

Comment

• libby 1957dog
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 3, 2009

no he got a pilot's licence but never served in the royal air force as far as i know ,
      yeah im with you on the electro brit rocker ,the difference is ,as i see it ,midge ure was more a musos in search of a commercially saleable sound midge ure was in a teeny bay city rollers type band called slik in the early 70s before ultravox ,and had many collaborators band members to work with ,where as neuman was on his own ,as in no musical collaborator to bounce things off ,and as a consequence his songs are coloured with his mental state and outlook ,i think he has aspergers but like my son was never statemented,the isolation and loneliness that seems to run through his output ,which with hindsight his songs almost seem like therapy for him working out his issues ,even more astonishing is that ,in light of other rock and roll casualties hes still around 30 years after his heyday to tell the tale due in no short part to his wife and family im sure ,give it a watch if you get time ,i almost certain you will find it interesting

Comment

• libby 1957dog
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 3, 2009

heres a bit about slik if your interested
        Explore Slik's discography including top tracks, albums, and reviews. Learn all about Slik on AllMusic.

and their only uk number one record https://youtu.be/NedDuS4ewcY

Comment

• SKotK
          Career Member
          • Mar 11, 2014

Being in the States, I only remember being exposed to "Cars" on the radio and liking it a lot but not really knowing who did the song. It wasn't until my college and post-college years that I became a big fan of Gary Numan's cold electronic sound and then wondered how I managed to miss it before.

I've seen Numan a number of times since then and have always been impressed by his performances. He continues to do his own thing.

I'll have to check out this documentary. The little I know of Numan's personal life is interesting to me; he's definitely some kind of musical genius, but also a true nerd falling somewhere on the Asperger's scale in social interaction.

--SKot
          Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

I'm not a huge fan but I did watch and earlier doc about him, he seems quite shy and humble.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎