X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Star Trek: Discovery: Doug Jones, Anthony Rapp Join Michelle Yeoh in Cast

The awesome Michelle Yeoh as Captain...and the equally awesome Doug Jones as an alien crew member...

Yeoh will be commanding the starship Shenzhou...looks like they want to attract the enormous Chinese audience.

This is not the crew of the Enterprise...this is about a totally different Ship...and in the world of the Federation...this will not be outta the norm...it's an inclusive civilization.

I'm in...
    sigpic
  • SKotK
    Career Member
    • Mar 11, 2014

Can't wait for the inevitable backlash against this series for "catering to multiculturalism" with the choice of a female minority as Captain.

To which I will have to reply, "Do you even Turbo-Lift, Bro?"

It blows my mind sometimes how some people can watch Star Trek and be completely blind to its whole premise going all the way back to the original series.

--SKot
    Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

The more I read, the less I want to watch it.

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by SKotK
        Can't wait for the inevitable backlash against this series for "catering to multiculturalism" with the choice of a female minority as Captain.

To which I will have to reply, "Do you even Turbo-Lift, Bro?"

It blows my mind sometimes how some people can watch Star Trek and be completely blind to its whole premise going all the way back to the original series.

--SKot
        Exactly. Have been reading comments on other sites...Gene Roddenberry would be saddened indeed.
        sigpic

Comment

• Spyweb007
          Persistent Member
          • Apr 18, 2006

I think while the decisions being made so far fit in with Roddenberry's vision, they don't fit in with the series timeline so well. In the original series no Women Captain was ever mentioned, and in the last episode a woman took over Kirk's body to be Captian, indicating that she felt women were not treated equally in that regard. Also a bit strange that with all the ship names mentioned in the original series, many of which were named after real naval ships, a new ship name never mentioned before was selected. If the series took place after the original series or Next Gen all of these decisions would seem more natural, but by placing this ten years before Kirk and Spock it doesn't fit with the established material as well. It makes the decisions seem less like creative, artistic story telling choices and more like a studio committee check-list. I hope it's a good show because I enjoy Star Trek in all of it's incarnations so far.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
            valar morghulis
            • Mar 8, 2005

Remember, the Michelle Yeoh character is not the lead of the show, she is captaining another ship, as Hector mentioned. They were still having a helluva time casting the actual lead (a female Lt. Cmdr aboard Discovery), last time I heard..

Just mentioning it cuz "Captain" usually means "lead" with Trek, but not the case this time around..
            Last edited by Sideshow Spock; Nov 30, '16, 5:25 PM.

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Spyweb007
              Also a bit strange that with all the ship names mentioned in the original series, many of which were named after real naval ships, a new ship name never mentioned before was selected.
              To be fair, it's named after a series of spacecraft in the chinese space program. Which, in the context of ship names that originate from a historical context of a United humanity on earth, seems perfectly plausible.
              My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Spyweb007
                Persistent Member
                • Apr 18, 2006

To be fair, it's named after a series of spacecraft in the chinese space program. Which, in the context of ship names that originate from a historical context of a United humanity on earth, seems perfectly plausible.
                I did not know where the ship name came from. I agree that the decisions being made so far are not necessarily bad decisions, just that it does feel more like a corporate studio checklist than a series of organic creative based choices. Again, I hope that the final product is successful both commercially and creatively. I would never want to see a series I have enjoyed for so many years fail, or even be mediocre. I have enjoyed every Star Trek series so far, even Enterprise, which to be fair had made some not so well received choices but was really hitting it's stride in the last season before cancellation.

Comment

• The Bat
                  Batman Fanatic
                  • Jul 14, 2002

--SKot

I foresee no backlash about the casting choices...Star Trek has always had a diverse crew dating back to TOS. It's kind of the point, they were pioneers in this...have you forgot Captain Kirk's kiss with Uhura?
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

I want to kiss the new Uhura...Zoe Saldana is hot...

sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Hector

sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Hector

And even hotter when she's green....!
                        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Or blue, 12 ft high...with a tail....

sigpic

Comment

• SKotK
                            Career Member
                            • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by The Bat
                            I foresee no backlash about the casting choices...Star Trek has always had a diverse crew dating back to TOS. It's kind of the point, they were pioneers in this...have you forgot Captain Kirk's kiss with Uhura?
                            That's exactly what I was saying: it goes all the way back to TOS with that kiss and many other things as well.

But the backlash has already been happening, even before I mentioned it. As Hector said up-thread: "Exactly. Have been reading comments on other sites...Gene Roddenberry would be saddened indeed."

Some people out there who claim to be fans just don't get it - Gene's message is lost on them.

--SKot
                            Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎