X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

New Comics-who's getting what?

I know more folks are focused on toys than comics here, and most prefer vintage to modern in both, but I am curious who here is still getting new comics and what y'all are getting if you do.

I am picking up a handful of newer books again, though I had stopped for a bit, there were a few things that brought me back.

via direct mail subscription I get Heavy Metal, and from Marvel Dr. Strange & Black Panther (Marvel print subs are 40% off cover price and those 2 were gifts from my wife. She also gifted me a Marvel Unlimited subscription a couple years back and renews it for me on my birthday, so I can dabble in new Marvel if I wish, but I mostly use it to read Gold, Silver and Bronze Age stuff I don't own and for the Star Wars stuff. I don't buy Marvel off the racks any more because of it though, and when the subs to Panther and Doc end, I don't plan on renewing.

At the actual comic shop, I do have a pull list, but it is relatively small...

from DC I get

Future Quest
    Scooby Doo Team Up

and I added the Kamandi Challenge to my pull to get it when it starts in January, and I will likely pick up the Wildstorm book my Warren Ells when it comes out next year

from Dark Horse I get

Conan the Slayer
    Black Hammer

and I get all the Hellboy/Mignola stuff in trades when it is collected.
    I also get the Finder stuff as it is collected, and plan on getting the new Moebius Library editions that jut started.
    I am also catching up on Usagi Yojimbo in the Saga editions, but I am a few volumes behind.

and if Francavilla ever does the second Black Beetle series (Necrologue) I will get that too.

from IDW I get

Micronauts
    ROM
    Frankenstein Alive, Alive (if and when Wrightson's health allows him to get new issues out, it's been a couple years since the last one)

from Image I get

Seven to Eternity
    Kill or Be Killed

plus some series I get in trades when collected
    all the Brubaker stuff (Criminal, Velvet, etc)
    most Warren Ellis stuff (Injection, Trees)
    Saga
    Lazarus
    Five Ghosts
    Descender
    Age of Bronze
    A Distant Soil
    and probably some I am forgetting

from Titan Books I get...

any Druillet collections or reissues
    the English translations of the new Elric albums done in France under Moorcock's supervision

other miscellaneous stuff I get

Motor Girl by Terry Moore
    Sixth Gun by Cullen Bunn (form Oni-recently wrapped up, I just got the last trade)
    Stumptown by Rucka from Oni (behind on his catching up)

I am curious what other folks are getting and if there is anything I might want to chekc out that someone recommends (though I have little interest in the Rebirth stuff form DC or most modern Marvel these days; the big 2 just aren't producing a lot that cathces my interest any more).
    -M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

off the top of my head, my must reads these days...

MARVEL
    Vision (just ended)
    Amazing Spider-Man/Clone Conspiracy
    Mighty Thor
    Unworthy Thor
    Doctor Strange
    Darth Vader
    Infamous Iron Man
    Invincible Iron Man
    Jessica Jones
    Power Man and Iron Fist

The Wicked and The Divine
    Chew (just ended)
    Walking Dead

VERTIGO/DC
    Sheriff of Babylon (just ended)
    EverAfter (Fables Spinoff)
    Wonder Woman

Crossed
    War Stories
    Mercury Heat
    Uber
    Cinema Purgatorio

ARCHIE
    Afterlife with Archie

INDY
    Motor Girl
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I've been enjoying Action Comics since Rebirth. Nice to have Superman back! Still digging Future Quest. I get whatever Batman '66 series is running.

My daughter gets Scooby-Doo Team-Up and a few random Disney Comics each time we go to the LCS.

My son is getting a ton of DC Rebirth, including Nightwing, Flash and Titans. He's also reading Amazing Spider-Man.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

Batman '66 and Wonder Woman '77 for me...along with Darth Vader, but that just ended. I loved the recent six part Swamp Thing too...hope they do more.

Comment

• comicmike
          Persistent Member
          • Sep 22, 2009

Wonder Woman '77, for certain

Comment

• Blue Meanie
            Banned
            • Jun 23, 2001

It's really down to slim pickins these days for me. Here are a few books I get and actually read:

1) Black Magic (Hopefully they will finish the series)
            2) Dr Strange (Will only be getting the series until Bacchalo is either moved off of the series or gets tired of the series)
            3) Spidey! (I am not a huge Spider-Man fan but I enjoy this series a lot. Artwork hasn't been up to snuff though lately)
            4) Avengers 1.1 (LOVED!!! the first issue and I hope to GOD that they keep it going past a 5 issue series)

That's basically it. I know there may be one or 2 that I may have left out. I was getting Rom...but the art has really tanked in this series so I stopped with issue 4.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I m reading Aquaman, Future Quest, Batman '66 and Wonder Woman '77 collections, Dynamite's The Shadow and Doc Savage.

What's DC doing with Capt. Marvel post-N52/Convergence?
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MRP
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                It's really down to slim pickins these days for me. Here are a few books I get and actually read:

1) Black Magic (Hopefully they will finish the series)
                2) Dr Strange (Will only be getting the series until Bacchalo is either moved off of the series or gets tired of the series)
                3) Spidey! (I am not a huge Spider-Man fan but I enjoy this series a lot. Artwork hasn't been up to snuff though lately)
                4) Avengers 1.1 (LOVED!!! the first issue and I hope to GOD that they keep it going past a 5 issue series)

That's basically it. I know there may be one or 2 that I may have left out. I was getting Rom...but the art has really tanked in this series so I stopped with issue 4.
                Rucka announced they will be returning to Black Magick sometime in the spring when Nicola's Scott's Wonder Woman commitment is done. Doing Wonder Woman was a dream come true for Scott, so they paused so she could do the Wonder Woman arc, but are returning once it is done.

-M
                "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

I bought the first six issues of the new Micronauts, and I think it sucks.

Comment

• MRP
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                    I bought the first six issues of the new Micronauts, and I think it sucks.
                    I'm curious what about it you don't like...

-M

Comment

• Allie Fox
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 1, 2009

I'm only subscribed to three mailers.

Darth Vader; which ended it's run after only 25 issues (bummer). I think it's being replaced with the new Doctor Aphra book.

Uncanny Avengers. This is pretty good but I'm so behind in reading the series that I can't really judge how it's going to turn out at this point.

Spidey. This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. It's really formatted for the younger crowd but it's fun nevertheless.
                      If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by MRP
                        I'm curious what about it you don't like...

-M
                        The price, the paper, the writing, the story, the art, the dialog(oh, god, the dialog...), the character design, and the multiple covers, are what I don't like about it. Oh yeah, and the fact that I bought the first six issues is also something I don't like.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

Recently, the only titles I've been picking up regularly without fail are He-Man/Thundercats, Tarzan/POTA and Star Wars.
                          I've also started with the Inhumans VS X-Men and the Justice League VS Suicide Squad "events".
                          I did pick up a few DC Rebirth titles and will probably resume some of those at the next interesting story arc. And also Avengers 1.1 is cool.

I did just start collecting the Star Trek Graphic Novel Collection too, because it reprints ST comics from all publishers who have had the license over the past 50 years, from Gold Key to Marvel & DC, IDW, etc. Nice to get reprints of those classic Gold Key stories along side the Marvel & DC runs in hardcover editions.

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                            Persistent Member
                            • Apr 28, 2013

Wow, that is a sharp looking set!

Comment

• JRT!
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Sep 6, 2015

I LOVE the Spidey comic! Bummer it stopped at issue 12,but I'm missing issue 3,9-12,so still got something to read,lol. Also got the Lost in Space comic,based on two tv scripts that never got made. Each story had three issues each. And I did get the Star Trek comic,which ended with issue 60 and came back with ST Boldy Go,where I picked up latest issue today,issue 4. I also get anything Rocketeer and Galaxy Quest that comes out,Peanuts comic....which has now also ended. I DID start Back to the Future and SW,but fell off after a few issues. Did consider getting the new KISS comic,and Six Million Dollar Man. I also get Doctor Who from time to time. So yeah,still get comics,just not as many as I used to as they turned really crap after a while. Can't be bothered to keep up,lol.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎