X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Apositive
    Career Member
    • Apr 3, 2011

DUNE Rights acquired by Legendary

One of the greatest Science Fiction novels and settings will get the Legendary approach.....

Legendary Entertainment has acquired the rights from the Frank Herbert estate for his iconic novel "Dune."

I'm looking forward to see what Legendary will ultimately adapt from this brilliant, original property.....
  • SKotK
    Career Member
    • Mar 11, 2014

It is HIGH time for another filming of Dune to be done. I loved David Lynch's Dune, but it felt like it was the Reader's Digest condensed version. Then the extended cut appeared, and it was much better...but still felt like a lot was missing. Honestly, Dune should have been a 3-part epic akin to Lord of the Rings, and if it had been made in the 2000s then it probably would have been.

The SciFi Channel's miniseries of Dune was cool in that it was a bit more true to the book, but unfortunately the digital effects weren't terribly good and are very dated looking now.

When it comes to reboots/remakes, Dune is a prime candidate. I'd much rather see that than another Hulk, Batman, Superman, or Spider-Man reboot.

--SKot
    Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• SKotK
      Career Member
      • Mar 11, 2014

Double-post for some reason - deleted.
      Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

Sigh, every time someone talks Dune movie I think about the What If's of the Jodorowski film and if it could have been completed...

I look forward to seeing what Legendary can do, but the lost opportunity of the failed Jodo pic still taints every thing about this property for me.

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by MRP
          Sigh, every time someone talks Dune movie I think about the What If's of the Jodorowski film and if it could have been completed...

I look forward to seeing what Legendary can do, but the lost opportunity of the failed Jodo pic still taints every thing about this property for me.

-M
          Yeah, Dune + Jodorowski could have been mind blowing.

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

Agreed on Jodorowski's Dune. George Romero Protege John Harrison directed the Sci Fi channel series, but I never caught it. And I've never read the books. So for my concept of Dune is very Lynch-centric, because that's the Dune I know.

Could this be adapted into something really satisfying for mass audiences? Or is it something that just can't be brought to screen?

Comment

• Apositive
              Career Member
              • Apr 3, 2011

I'm not sure either, but I'm eager to see what will be done. I also remember early negative buzzes about other properties, namely "Captain America, The First Avenger" turned out NOT to be true at all.....

Wait and see.....

"The spice must flow."

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                HULK SMASH!
                • Apr 3, 2010

Hopefully it'll be a good adaptation if it happens. I love the book and I'm also a fan of Lynch's movie interpretation. Didn't enjoy the SciFi Channel version as much.
                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
                  learning all the time
                  • Sep 15, 2010

I liked the syfy version.
                  if you've only seen the Lynch version, you might appreciate the more coherent and nuanced narrative.
                  I don't know that it has the LOTR mass appeal potential (it's decidedly more violent and adult), but it can be an awesome spectacle if done right.
                  maybe an HBO or netflix type series? this can allow it to breathe and also to tackle future books if warranted.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎