Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BATMAN89
    Mego obsessed!!!
    • Jul 20, 2010

I too would love an Ironman set, though I'm not going to post complaints on here about their second Deadpool set.
    I may not be interested in a Pirate Deadpool, but I've learned never to say never. I loved the last set they did, and I wasn't into Deadpool at all before it came out.
    If you don't like it, just don't buy it.
    Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
    My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• Figure8
      Museum Patron
      • May 18, 2016

Originally posted by BATMAN89
      If FTC had gotten this license, they'd all have balloon heads with open mouths, and really crappy bodies!
      I'm not even buying any FTC anymore. DST/EMCE are way better looking!
      If DST/EMCE had the DC license, but could only do one figure for $80, their Batman set would be way better, and I'd be all over it!
      I'm still buying FTC stuff, but I really wish EMCE could do DC characters, or at least lend their sculptor to FTC. I recenty got Daredevil and while they made some questionable decisions like the cuffs and trunks, that sculpt is just pure perfection. I keep imagining what that sculptor could have done with the infamous 'Neal Adams Batman' ... Or really any other FTC figure.

Comment

• BATMAN89
        Mego obsessed!!!
        • Jul 20, 2010

Originally posted by Figure8
        I'm still buying FTC stuff, but I really wish EMCE could do DC characters, or at least lend their sculptor to FTC. I recently got Daredevil and while they made some questionable decisions like the cuffs and trunks, that sculpt is just pure perfection. I keep imagining what that sculptor could have done with the infamous 'Neal Adams Batman' ... Or really any other FTC figure.
        Here is their sculptor's version of Neil Adams Batman:

and painted by one of our members here:
        Attached Files
        Last edited by BATMAN89; Sep 6, '17, 6:53 PM.

My Good Trader's List
        My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• Figure8
          Museum Patron
          • May 18, 2016

Well, this looks just like I 'feared': great. Thank you for the pictures.

Comment

• BATMAN89
            Mego obsessed!!!
            • Jul 20, 2010

Imagine a production Batman with that head!

My Good Trader's List
            My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• DSTZach
              Museum Super Collector
              • Mar 1, 2012

We have tried to do more "deluxe" 8-inch figures in the past, at a SLIGHTLY higher price point ($50, not $80), but either the price was not of interest to buyers, or the license (Knight Rider, Expendables), or the size/format.

1/12 is a very popular scale, and Mezco does a great job with them. I think our more detailed heads/outfits are great quality, but the scale is not compatible with many people's collections, so I think there is a ceiling for 8", except for certain one-off characters like Deadpool.

And no need to get nit-picky with Teemu. If another company passed on this license, which I have only heard second-hand, then they could have come up with the same solution Doc and we did. And really, what we do is not far off from what Mezco does, with a similar number of interchangeable parts and accessories, plus alt costumes. If our sales were at a point where we could step up production, we certainly would, but I assume we are not where Mezco is, comfort-wise.

Comment

• ovenmitt
                Persistent Member
                • May 26, 2009

DSTZach,

DST has also done a marvelous job with your Marvel Select 7" action figures for 15 years now! I have over 40 different MS figures, I espescially like all the classic MS X-Men DST has made! Love the 7" scale and $25 is very fair price with the dioramas included! Hope Marvel Select never ends!

If DST could make same team builders, females and villians in retro Marvel sets as you have done with Marvel Select.

Iron Man
                Hulk
                Black Widow
                Hawkeye
                Cyclops
                Jean Grey
                Storm
                Magneto
                Dr Doom
                Fantastic 4
                Dr Strange
                Ghost Rider
                Spider-Woman
                Green Goblin
                Venom

Plenty of Marvel big guns ideal for sets!

And I would pay around $50 for a single Marvel Mego 8" figure without the 2 extra heads and outfits.
                Last edited by ovenmitt; Sep 8, '17, 1:46 PM.

Comment

• hedrap
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 10, 2009

IMO, it's not uniformity of scale, it's that the moment for the Mego aesthetic has been made antiquated by what Mezco and Hot Toys are doing. It's not a quality knock, either; I've always said EMCE was offering the best possible under current conditions.

But it's really hard to look at a 6" Mezco and an 8" Megoesque and think the two are equal. There are people who only want repros but after the repro comes out, the price of originals drop to where someone can now buy an original at equal or less than a repro. So it's hard to justify for a new buyer, to pickup a set with a repro.

If Mego existed today, Abrams wouldn't have kept the same tooling. Think of it like Black Series Star Wars; it has the hallmarks of the originals but it's a total modern design. Only other options I can see would be to do either exactly what Mezco is doing, or make the sets a mashup of Marvel parts. So let's say the figure is Iron Man, but the accessories are Mandarin's cloak and ringed hands, Hawkeye's bow and quiver, Tony Stark suit and head, etc...

Comment

• BATMAN89
                    Mego obsessed!!!
                    • Jul 20, 2010

Originally posted by DSTZach
                    1/12 is a very popular scale
                    I don't collect any other size action figure other than the Original Mego 8 inch size.
                    Absolutely no interest in any other size.
                    When Star Wars toys came out I was 13, and I wasn't playing with toys anymore.
                    At that time though, I thought that it was stupid that the new SW figures were so small.
                    IMO Star Wars should've been in 8 inch format, because that's what I loved as a kid.
                    I had early 70's G.I. Joes, but when the WGSH came out in 8 inch I was hooked.

Just keep making the awesome figures Zach! In 8 inch style!

My Good Trader's List
                    My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• ovenmitt
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 26, 2009

In 1978 when I was 8 I was so excited for Star Wars figures I would have accepted anything. Looking back those 1st 12 Kenner Star Wars figures are crude plastic turds compared to Mego higher quality 8" Star Trek for example that actually looked like the Actors! This year on Star Wars 40th I wish Mego had acquired the Star Wars license and Mego would still be around today and 8" action figures. Saddest Toy Story ever.

Comment

• BATMAN89
                        Mego obsessed!!!
                        • Jul 20, 2010

A couple of cool pics. I need one more body for the third Punisher head and outfit.

My Good Trader's List
                        My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• comicmike
                          Persistent Member
                          • Sep 22, 2009

BATMAN89, those are two beautiful pics with the right bodies! Thanks for posting!

Comment

• TrekStar
                            Trek or Treat
                            • Jan 20, 2011

Great looking figures, those bodies work nicely, thanks for sharing.

Comment

• BATMAN89
                              Mego obsessed!!!
                              • Jul 20, 2010

Add one more pic of the original Punisher with an assist from a Cast-A-Way trigger finger hand:

My Good Trader's List
                              My Early Custom Megos

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎