X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

KONG: SKULL ISLAND Official Trailer...

The newly dropped trailer for next Spring's "KONG: SKULL ISLAND"...

I like the beginning (who doesn't dig a little CCR) as a way to set the era this supposed to take place in (in the '70s, I believe). The first scene we see of the guys all sitting in the darkened room being told about Skull Island has shades of De Laurentiis' introduction of the mythical island written all over it, only the names have been changed and it appears these dudes are all military (or Monarch) of some sort. Bombing the island to "map" it seems a little---weird, but when we see the pilot being all smiley about it and the black science guy schmoozing "scientific instruments", it lets us know this is another show of humankind's hubris. After that, the the trailer starts zig zagging all over the place. The helicopter guy's quasi-hick delivery "Is that a monkey?" falls pretty flat knowing that, if you see a creature standing upright at that size and issue forth such a comment, you're probably going to realize that it's not a "monkey. Perhaps someone thought it was clever...

Then we take another turn back towards the serious, getting our first good look at this humongous new Kong and the chaos he's able to cause. The very dramatic, fire-heavy (leading many people I've seen on Youtube "react" to the trailer come to the conclusion that this Kong is in some way fireproof; very handy when battling a 500 foot lizard with radioactive halitosis) Samuel L. Jackson/Kong face off and the subsequent dire words of John Goodman about the people who've already died and the tense face off with the native denizens of Skull Island. But wait, all of a sudden here comes John C. Reilly to save the day and deliver some jokiness at the same time. It's this intersplicing of dark, heavy and monstrous with humour that lends the trailer an unevenness that even the most casual of observers has latched on to. You can't take a story like Kong's and try to make it serious and heavy while at the same time injecting it with broad humour; it's that aspect that will yank you out of a picture pretty quickly, no matter how much disbelief you're willing to suspend.

Kong himself almost looks like he's going to be sidelined in his own movies by the abundance of other, ginormous creatures inhabiting Skull Island. And lets talk about the big ape (or, technically gorilla) for a moment. Is it cool to see him towering at---let's say 400 feet high---but those of us who know the story of Kong, know that he's not considered a monster purely by means of his size. O'Brien's, Rambaldi's and even Jackson's Kong never went above 40 or fifty feet. Having a Kong big enough to take on 'Zilla in 20, defies every law of nature known to man. As many scientists and biologists would likely posit, a homo-erectus, that is as creature standing upright and on two independent legs, would likely have issues with the Earth's gravity working against it. Godzilla, in virtually every carnation of the Big G we've seen, has always had the huge massive legs and feet, and that huge tail, to not only balance his weight out, but to actually spread his mass more evenly, allowing him freedom of movement. Kong, on the other hand, has likely almost as much mass as 'Zilla, but that weight and mass would likely be compromised by the relatively small legs which have to support it,

From this trailer, it looks like the writers, producers and the director have little understanding of the Kong mythos and have instead chosen to make a movie based on Kong that will (possibly) provide an explanation regarding his massive size, thereby enabling him to have a thowdown with the King of ALL Monsters in 2020.

Those are just a few of my opinons. Feel free to post your own, as well...
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

I dunno, it looks good. I can't sit around worrying about the scientific plausibility of the size of a monster ape, the intent is the have Kong meet Godzilla, so it would look pretty ridiculous for him to be 40-50 feet tall and have any prayer of defeating the lizard king. And to question the humor after seeing what a humorless action film can be like in BvS? Real life has humor in it even in dark times.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

Yeah, forget logic here...if you are going to worry about improbable gigantic bipedal creatures walking within Earth's gravity...then throw Ultraman out the window too, lol.

Trailer looks great, I'm in...
      sigpic

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

This has to do little with the original Kong mythos. It's not that the filmmakers don't understand the history of Kong, of course they do...I'm sure they took film history at college, and seen the original. This is purely a hybrid version of Kong, call it alternate reality Kong...clearly and obviously based on the 1962 Japanese flick, King Kong vs Godzilla.
        sigpic

Comment

• YoungOnce
          Career Member
          • Aug 29, 2007

Thanks for sharing the trailer. I liked the tone just fine. Had a Jurrasic Park feel. I'm feeling a little Samuel Jackson fatigue but the man can act. I'll be there, unless the theatres start charging more for tent pole releases like I'm reading. Then, I'll see it on week three.

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

Looks pretty decent, I'm sure will be seeing many more previews by March, I wonder if they'll keep in on the island
            or its capture Kong and it's off to New York again? but if there's supposedly a Kong vs Godzilla sequel, then Kong
            can't die, unless they do the artificial mechanical heart all over again.

Comment

• Brown Bear
              Still Old School
              • Feb 14, 2008

Looks good but really, does Samuel L Jackson have to be in every single movie? Man that guy pops up in everything.
              Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Brown Bear
                Looks good but really, does Samuel L Jackson have to be in every single movie? Man that guy pops up in everything.
                Of course he does! Who else would be able to stare down a ginormous p****d off gorilla? In the middle of a fiery inferno, no less! LOL!
                sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• hedrap
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Brown Bear
                  Sam and Goodman were last minute replacements for JK Simmons and Keaton.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ Because they got Batman and Spider-Man gigs?
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

^ IIRC, it was because they signed before the Oscar nominations. Then, post-nominations, their asking prices shot up and studios obliged in contract releases for certain hit commodities so they don't anger their agents. Cuz if they do, the agent will steer their other talent away from the studios other projects.

I would think Batman was a trade off with Simmons. Ya know...there was a lot of Beetlejuice 2 talk around Keaton's resurgence. That's a WB property. He drops out of a lot of projects.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎