X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megowgsh
    Customego HoF Curator
    • Nov 19, 2003

The Scourge of the Underworld

Marvel Comics writer/editor Mark Gruenwald originally created the Scourge in 1985 as a plot device intended to thin the criminal population of the Marvel Universe, in particular eliminating those supervillain characters he deemed to be too minor, redundant, or ill-conceived. (It has been reported that Gruenwald has since regretted the Scourge storyline.)

The Scourge is originally depicted as an individual vigilante dedicated to the assassination of criminals. This person, whose true name has never been revealed, is seen over the course of several months (and several comic book titles) murdering known supervillains. The Scourge approaches a supervillain in disguise, shoots him or her with an explosive-tipped bullet, shouts his catchphrase ("Justice is served!"), and disappears.

Today, I present Mego customs of all the disguises Scourge took on in the original storyline where he was able to “take out” his supervillain targets (and one where he didn't). Fourteen figures in all!

Scourge of the Underworld began his spree dressed as a baglady killing supervillain the Enforcer in Iron Man #194 by Denny O’Neil, Luke McDonnell, Ian Akin and Brian Garvey.

Walter Simonson has a bum kill off Megatak in Thor #358

Baglady and Bum kitbashed mostly with CTVT parts and heads; a little repainting by me; and armed to the hilt by Chad and Sean Gordy.

John Byrne and Al Gordon have a construction worker bid adieu to the Basilisk in Fantastic Four #289

[/URL]

In Thing #24 by Mike Carlin, Ron Wilson and Joe Sinnott, one of the Fanastic Four’s earliest foes, Miracle Man, meets his end at the hands of a bus-riding hippie.

Construction worker and Hippie mostly kitbashed with CTVT parts; beard added by the multi-talented David Lee; weapons by Chad and Sean Gordy.

In Amazing Spider-Man #276, by Tom DeFalco, Ron Frenz and Brett Breeding, the Human Fly is killed by a garbage man.

Amazing Spider-Man #278 has Tom DeFalco, Jo Duffy and Peter David using a cop to kill Flash Thompson (at the time framed as the Hobgoblin) but when Spider-Man foils that attempt, kills the Wraith instead.

Mostly kitbashing CTVT parts; using an AJ head from Castaway toys; guns by Chad and Sean Gordy.

Captain America #318 by Gruenwald, Paul Neary and Denns Janke has a truck driver disposing of the Blue Streak...

...and Death Adder being eliminated by a cabbie.

CTVT parts and heads; Mego Grampa Walton head repainted on the cabbie; guns by Chad and Sean Gordy.

The nurse tries to kill a hospitalized Constrictor but is stopped by Captain America.

A Mego Dinah Mite Nightengale outfit adorns a CTVT Ethel Mertz doll; gun by Chad and Sean Gordy; original Mego Cap and my custom Constrictor from some time ago.

Marvel Fanfare #29 got into the original Scourge storyline as well.

The Hulk (during the time he was split from Banner) meets an Indian in the desert

Where he is exposed to some witch-doctory hallucinogens.

The Hulk is then attacked by Hammer and Anvil.

Scourge was disguised as the Indian that the Hulk encountered at the beginning of the story and disposes of Hammer and Anvil.

Original Mego Hulk with kitbashed Indian from CTVT parts and paints; gun by Chad and Sean Gordy.

A strange choice was killed in Avengers #263 by Roger Stern, John Buscema and Tom Palmer, when Melter, an original member of the Masters of Evil, was killed by his assistant Keegan (the real Keegan we find out was also killed by Scourge)

My suit; CTVT boots and hands; enlarged Starman head modified with my paints; gun by Chad and Sean Gordy.

Thing #33 the original Titania meets her fate at the hands of Golddigger (in a story by Mike Carlin, Ron Wilson and Kim DeMulder)

Original Mego Thing; kitbashed CTVT parts and head; gun by Chad and Sean Gordy.

In Captain America #319, the Scourge makes his biggest killing yet at the Bar with No Name disguised as the bartender.

A kitbash of sorts with my shirt; a head from a Western action figure; gun by Chad and Sean Gordy.

The original Scourge’s reign of terror ended in Captain America #320 by Gruenwald, Neary and Janke, where Cap hunts him down and they have a final confrontation where we learn his origins--or at least what we THINK are his origins. Among the villains shot: Bird-Man, Cheetah, Commander Kraken, Cyclone, El Jaguar, Grappler, Firebrand, Hell-Razor, Hi-Jacker, Letha, Mind-Wave, Mirage, Rapier, Ringer, Shell-Shock, Steeplejack, Turner D. Century and the Vamp.

Spawn head cast in black with Playing Mantis AJ goggles; ChiPs hands; Mego AJ Ski Patrol backpack; CTVT belt and boots; black unitard; gun by Chad and Sean Gordy.

Group shot!

This has been a project on my “to do” list for a very long time. I am proud to have seen it to completion.

I hope you enjoy my customs as much as I do, and, as always, thanks for looking!

Peace, Love, and Megos!

Austin
    Last edited by megowgsh; Nov 15, '16, 8:11 AM. Reason: added group shot
    Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

Someone's been busy!

Comment

• cockyhoskins
      Career Member
      • Jan 13, 2009

Wowie-wow! Great idea and execution!

Comment

• GUYx1
        FORMER MEGO COLLECTOR
        • Apr 20, 2005

the Population of Austin's mego world knows no bounds...
        Great uses for those skinny trenchcoats.
        Love the bearded Conan head.
        Cheers,
        Guyx1

Comment

• hawkmike
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 15, 2003

Uncanny work! One of your best!
          wanted mego arch reactor

Comment

• wyatterb
            Permanent Member
            • Jul 2, 2001

Awesome work. Thanks for all the background info. I had no idea The Scourge existed.

Comment

• madmarva
              Talkative Member
              • Jul 7, 2007

As always, Austin, awesome.

Comment

• Grimjohn
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 28, 2011

Genius!!! Fantastic work on all 14!
                My Finished Custom Figures

Comment

• Ninersphan1
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 27, 2009

Wow, impressed by not only your customs, but the depth of your Marvel Knowledge. Very impressive.

Comment

• hedrap
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 10, 2009

Crazy, crazy good work. I loved that storyline but don't remember the ending.

Comment

• BATMAN89
                      Mego obsessed!!!
                      • Jul 20, 2010

Just playin' with your Megos at Stately Hough Manor I see...
                      They look great!!! And what fun!!!
                      All are awesome, but my fave is that Constrictor!!!
                      Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
                      My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• daz71
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 19, 2014

you have been busy.wow what a great set of figures.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                          • Apr 3, 2007

Man, you've been busy!
                          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 18, 2015

Hmm... I wonder if you like Scourge of the Underworld...?
                            The hands that grip.

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

I tip my hat to your work ethic and skill sir. I wish I could pursue my mad ambitions with that kind of time management.

PS Never heard of this story line, thanks for the briefing.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎