Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 23, 2009

Why did these wonderful toys show up after I got laid-off? WHY!?! It hurts to look at that amazing detail.
    If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• michael crawford
      Museum Super Collector
      • Dec 15, 2008

Back to Frankie - here's the new color exclusive with the doorway dio that just started to ship:

In Depth Review and Photos of the One:12 Collective Frankenstein Monster Diorama by Mezco - Another Pop Culture Collectible Review by Captain Toy

Comment

• warlock664
        Persistent Member
        • Feb 15, 2009

That's pretty sweet!
        If I could get the dio with the color Franky for $160, I'd probably bite.

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
          Persistent Member
          • Jun 22, 2011

Unfortunately no other Universal Monsters shown at Mezco's pre Toy Fair event today. Very disappointing.

Comment

• GlobalObserver
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 12, 2004

I have a sad feeling that this line is probably done.

Frank obviously didn't sell as well as Mezco had hoped.

You can purchase either version for well under the retail price.

I bought the B/W version for less than $48 shipped, and I only paid around $52 shipped for the color one.

I'm still hoping to pick up the doorway environment diorama for a good price.

I was hoping at the very least we'd get a classic Wolfman and Dracula.

Looks like the chances of that happening are slim to none.

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by GlobalObserver
              I have a sad feeling that this line is probably done.

Frank obviously didn't sell as well as Mezco had hoped.

You can purchase either version for well under the retail price.

I bought the B/W version for less than $48 shipped, and I only paid around $52 shipped for the color one.

I'm still hoping to pick up the doorway environment diorama for a good price.

I was hoping at the very least we'd get a classic Wolfman and Dracula.

Looks like the chances of that happening are slim to none.
              Universal has failed the classic monsters on every level imaginable. From skirting paying the actor's estates and giving us generic versions, to ignoring the vast marketing potential the monsters have, it's all just so ridiculous. The Universal Monsters should be synonymous with Halloween, just like Rudolph, Frosty, and Santa are with Christmas. For crying out loud...General Mills makes more money off them at Halloween releasing the Monster Cereals every year! From September to October they should be everywhere in the public eye. Where are the decorations? The masks and party supplies? How about a Creature candy pail? The last time Universal really "got it" was in the early to mid 90's. There were costumes, model kits, Sideshow figures, the Pepsi/Doritos promotion, Burger King toys, the Classic Collection on VHS, and the stuff sold like CRAZY. I know several fans that weren't even aware the Mezco figure existed until I told them about it. There was a fantastic new metal lunchbox planned a few years ago, but thanks to Universal's meddling and constant demands to make the artwork "less actor specific" aka GENERIC, the company that was to produce it said the hell with it and gave up. Companies out there WANT to make cool, quality stuff. The fans WANT to buy it, but sadly, Universal keeps screwing it up. The Universal Monster garage kit hobby is thriving. People pay hundreds of dollars for unlicensed but ACCURATE representations of their favorite monsters. All that money could be going into Universal's pockets, but they're too damn stupid to let it happen. That's pretty much where we're at right now. If fans want quality merchandise, they have to buy unlicensed product made by other fans. I had to commission someone to make masks for me. I now own a better Wolf Man mask than anything official Universal could EVER put out.

This is the "official" piece of crap Universal put out...
              wolf man crap.jpg

This is what I had made...
              Silver Screen Wolf Man.jpg

I would give anything to run that brand for five years. I'd put the monsters back on the map and make them all a household name again.

Comment

• enyawd72
                Maker of Monsters!
                • Oct 1, 2009

I still cry inside every time I look at this...I can't believe we were so close to owning this incredible work of art.

DSCN97893.jpg
                16788000815_805a61826e_b.jpg

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

^ That's fantastic, D.

And you nailed it about Uni IMO. I sort of liked the UM Online designs, but then they began to stray. And I'll never understand how we failed to get a last wave of Emce Uni Monsters. The market was there and each wave showed improvement.

I do think fans will embrace generic versions if done well--as part of a mythos, for example, but I don't see much that I'd consider clever or well-designed. I hated the Van Helsing film.

I would have liked to see a classic Dracula or Phantom by Mezco.
                  Last edited by PNGwynne; Jul 15, '17, 11:11 AM.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Remco Monster
                    GLOWS in the Dark!
                    • May 3, 2006

Where did you get the B&W for that price? eBay?

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                      Persistent Member
                      • Aug 12, 2004

Originally posted by TCM Hitchhiker
                      Where did you get the B&W for that price? eBay?
                      www.jet.com using the SAVE15 coupon.

Had to buy 2 to get that price.

Comment

• Remco Monster
                        GLOWS in the Dark!
                        • May 3, 2006

www.jet.com using the SAVE15 coupon.

Had to buy 2 to get that price.
                        Cool, thanks. All I see on there now is the color version. At least that is the photo they are using, it doesn't say anything about it being the previews color exclusive.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 27, 2007

Universal has done a poor job with the property. Two failed relaunches now for their universe. The Universal Monsters aren't a passion of mine, but I do like them and would very much like to see them come roaring back into the public consciousness.

As for Mezco, I suspect they'll give up on these and stick to the more lucrative lines. They have so many irons in the fire, they have to pick and choose to some degree. And while they did a very nice job on Frankenstein, I think of the 10 or so Mezco figures i have, the only one I wish I didn't buy is Frankenstein.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎