X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Duel (1971)

Just watched this again on Svengoolie. I haven't seen it in ages.

It's kinda cool and kinda weird. It never really explains why the truck was after Dennis Weaver or if it was a just crazy trucker or something more. But it still really works.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Spielberg said he took the same approach when he made his next film Jaws. In fact the sound of the semi crashing as it goes over the cliff can be heard when the shark is sinking after the canister explodes. You can hear the groan of the truck.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I love this film. I was glad to re-watch it yesterday. The indefinite aspects of it add to its tension, IMO.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

Dennis Weaver is so great in it. He's the perfect Everyman.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

I first saw it when I was little staying up late with my Mom watching the local late show. I still found it just as odd and creepy.

You really wouldn't think of a movie that takes place mostly on a highway in bright daylight as atmospheric or eerie, but it is.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I watched the first half of it, but I got pulled away for the next hour. I hadn't seen it in years either. Great film, and certainly showed that young Mr. Speilberg was going places.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

Ever see Spielberg's segment of the Night Gallery TV movie with Tom Bosley and Joan Crawford? It's a decent early Spielberg effort. (Although I like the Roddy McDowall/Ossie Davis segment better.)

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I agree with both your posts, Andy. And Werewolf, yes. that is really the mark of something scary--terror in full daylight and you can really empathize with Weaver. Credulity is strained a little as his car falters but keeps on, but it's a wild ride.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  I watched the first half of it, but I got pulled away for the next hour. I hadn't seen it in years either. Great film, and certainly showed that young Mr. Speilberg was going places.

Chris
                  I think it's still one of his best, A lot of care was put into TV movies back then, and I read somewhere (wiki?) that material such as the bus scene was added to enable a theatrical release.

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

If memory serves, the lady with the snakes in cages makes a cameo at the gas station where Belushi fuels up in 1941.

Comment

• daz71
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 19, 2014

love this film,i remember my dad saying you will love this when i was a kid of about 4 years old.it's great that you never see the driver and are left to make up your own mind up about who he is.

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

Sort of like The Shape in Halloween. You don't really see Michael Myers... or understand his motivation. The Truck in Duel is just the Shape of Evil on wheels. No backstory needed. No motivation. It just works.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                          I think it's still one of his best, A lot of care was put into TV movies back then, and I read somewhere (wiki?) that material such as the bus scene was added to enable a theatrical release.
                          Yeah, they added a fair bit of footage to extend the running time from about 75 minutes to 90 minutes for the theatrical release.

Overall, Duel is a great piece of film making from Spielberg.
                          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎