X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

The Mego Black Hole Cereal Promotion

I joined ebay in 1997, since then like clock work, i have searched "Black Hole" and "Shreddies" in hope of finding this item. Recently on one boring Tuesday morning, there it was with a Buy It Now price that was so agreeable, it still makes me smile.

Sure it's an empty cereal box but to me, it's just something slightly more.

I've written about this promotion before , it's one of those incredibly happy moments in childhood that you just smile about whenever you think about it.

Shreddies was never my favourite cereal, yet for a month in 1979, I endured three boxes of it (with a lot of help from sugar) to get these....

Actually, it was one box top per figure, an additional $2.50 per figure (plus sales tax) and my mom had to write a cheque! Hell, this wasn't even that great a deal!

But i did it and waited the eternity for that bubble envelope (with a cool drawing of Maximillian on it) to arrive. I'd love to reunite with that envelope as well, I hope one still exists. Those figures were just....kind of earned and I still have my Vincent nearly 40 years later.

One of the saving graces of this promo that really kept me going were the kick *** Space Pal Pencil caddies that came in every box. I'm positive I ate Shreddies well into 1980 to finish my set.

These guys lined my fourth grade desk and actually i still have one at work right now.

I'm thrilled to share this happy memory, it's one of the reasons I collect.

Thanks for reading, have a terrific weekend.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Congrats on such a cool rare find.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, congratulations! That's a super minty specimen to boot! I love the artwork of the figures, and especially the pencil holders. You just don't see that type of art nowadays.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
        HULK SMASH!
        • Apr 3, 2010

Cool! I had all those pencil holders, and many doubles in all the colours. Great memories collecting those.
        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• SKotK
          Career Member
          • Mar 11, 2014

Am I the only one who just now noticed that Old B.O.B.'s two hands plus the circle on his chest form the word "Bob"?

I can't believe I never saw that before.

--SKot
          Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Looks like they're posing for The Beatles Help! album cover

m

Comment

• rche
              channeling Bob Wills
              • Mar 26, 2008

finding the Shreddies box is fantastic, and those pencil holders are super awesome!

Comment

• drquest
                ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                • Apr 17, 2012

Very cool!

I'll have to watch for these pencil holders now, I don't think I even knew they existed.
                Danny(Drquest)
                Captain Action HQ
                Retro shirts and stuff
                More retro shirts
                Stuff For Sale

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

I have a great deal of fond memories for those pencil holders, as well as share the resentment of eating shreddies.

Even more so many years later when I was collecting the Star Trek prizes out of them.
                  My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎