• Jan 19, 2004

I had Charlie McCarthy and Howdy Doody. Still have Howdy

For the love of Mego's

Comment

• HardyGirl
      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
      • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by Iron Mego
      This commercial terrified me as a kid. Seriously could not get out of the room fast enough when it came on. Funny thing is, the movie isn't very scary at all.
      It had the opposite effect on me. I was 12 when this movie came out, and I would wait for the ad to come on. But then, I cut my eye teeth on Twilight Zone eps "The Dummy" and "Little Caesar". I found this movie at a used book store, but haven't watched it yet. I need to.

My dad (RIP) had a really funny story about his Charlie McCarthy dummy. It was one of the few real toys he actually owned, and his younger brother and sister figured if he could talk he could eat. So one day when my dad was at school, they stuffed him full of creamed spinach, and put him back in my dad's room. Sadly there was no saving Charlie after that. He had to be thrown out.

And BTW, I LOVE Jeff Dunham! He's coming to Oakland in March! HOORAY!
      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Lol.

Speaking of Magic, I found the commercials terrifying and that's what made me pack up Charlie. But, when I saw the film many years later it was just creepy.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• jwyblejr
          galactic yo-yo
          • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
          I find some of his stuff funny, but he's a better comedian than ventriloquist. He's constantly moving his lips!

Chris
          Must be doing something right. Dude makes 20 million a year.

Comment

• jacoblb
            Persistent Member
            • May 7, 2009

I had a Howdy Doody too. My 2 cousins each had one as gifts for Xmas from our grandparents. Theirs was a trigger squeezing talking version compared to the draw string type I had to open and close the mouth. I assume I had the older model. I've always wanted to get one again, but the prices are insane in the membrane.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎