Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many remember this from school book fairs/sales?....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VintageJoe70
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 12, 2016

How many remember this from school book fairs/sales?....

I guess it's ok to post this here...This was an album I bought as a kid at the book fair/sale my elementary school had...Remember those?...This had a story on it called "The Golden Arm", which scared the crap out of me as a kid...Here is the album and a youtube of the story...Still sounds creepy today....Anyone here remember this album?....

$_57 by Matthew Peregoy, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

I remember them well and have strong ties to one in particular that I picked up as a tiny boy. There was a Christmas one I adored. It was an interesting book because part of it was in black and white and the two page spreads in color. It came out in 1970 and was magical for me. I use to stare at all the artwork for the longest of times. During Christmas eve I would play it before I went to bed waiting for Santa. As an adult I played for my kids and now play it for my grandson. The tradition continues.

Comment

• VintageJoe70
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 12, 2016

Was it a book & record type thing?...I don't know, but for some reason that cover looks familiar...even though the description you gave doesnt...but that's cool...it's great to be able to carry on holiday traditions....

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by VintageJoe70
        Was it a book & record type thing?...I don't know, but for some reason that cover looks familiar...even though the description you gave doesnt...but that's cool...it's great to be able to carry on holiday traditions....
        That book came two different ways. You could either get it as a book and record, which is what I have, or you could get it just as the book. I love the record. That voice of Santa at the end still feels like the "real" Santa to me. The child inside me sees the magic of it.

Comment

• Goblin19
          Talkative Member
          • May 2, 2002

My friends and I reference that album all too frequently. It seems everyone had it or was friends with someone who had it.

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
            learning all the time
            • Sep 15, 2010

I loved those book fairs!
            "The golden arm" I don't remember, but my friend had a very similar one about a skinny toe! (***????)
            Scared the crap out of me. I still remember not wanting to get out of bed the next morning, afraid something under the bed would grab my leg!
            That one and the Power records Man-Thing "Night of the Laughing Dead" must have warped me!!
            (on a similar kid-scaring topic, there was a ?tv movie? called The Mud Monster or something that was too much for me!)

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by C.H.O.A.M.
              I loved those book fairs!
              "The golden arm" I don't remember, but my friend had a very similar one about a skinny toe! (***????)
              Scared the crap out of me. I still remember not wanting to get out of bed the next morning, afraid something under the bed would grab my leg!
              You mean this one?

I seem to remember one of my grade school teachers borrowing this album from the library and playing it for us in class one day in place of silent reading time.
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• VintageJoe70
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 12, 2016

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                You mean this one?

I seem to remember one of my grade school teachers borrowing this album from the library and playing it for us in class one day in place of silent reading time.
                That album cover looks familiar and I may have had that one too.but can't remember....I'm sure it was around at about the same time as Great Ghost Stories

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
                  learning all the time
                  • Sep 15, 2010

Yup!
                  Not quite as scary as I remember it though

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢