X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Gotham

Some of you might know I have religiously watched the show from the very beginning.

I don't know if the following subject matter is allowed here...if it's okay to discuss it in a civil manner.

The actor playing Oswald Cobblepot/Penguin, Robin Taylor (brilliantly by the way), happens to be gay in real life, and it looks like it's extending to his Oswald Cobblepot/Penguin character as well.

I'm completely fine with that.

However, this might extend to Ed Nygma/Riddler himself being gay...as they have teased audiences to a possible romantic pairing of the two.

That's were I'm taking issue.

I'm not anti-gay at all...the total opposite, whomever makes you happy is the one for you.

But I feel this is being forced and going too off the road here.

Having said that...at the end of this past Monday's episode...Nygma seemed to be attracted to a woman who resembled his own co-worker...whom he murdered in a bit of lover's quarrel rage.

Perhaps this will lead to some friction between Penguin and Riddler.

I'm curious if you care to join in on the conversation.

Please, I know this can be a touchy subject, let's keep it civil.

Moderators, if it gets outta line, please feel free to delete this thread.

Thanks...

Last edited by Hector; Oct 25, '16, 4:01 PM.
    sigpic
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

I did not watch last nights episode yet, but I thought the same thing at first last week. I think it is more of a bro-mance though, then anything actually romantic or physical. but we shall see what unfolds on the show

Comment

• sprytel
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 26, 2009

The whole premise of "Gotham" seems to be: let's take well-known comic book characters, with decades-rich characterizations and canon... AND INSTEAD HAVE THEM DO WHATEVER RIDICULOUS, BONKERS THING WE CAN COME UP WITH. This seems right in the show's wheelhouse. Come on, Hec... Are you onboard the crazy train or not?

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

My post states that I have faithfully been watching the show from the very beginning...and are still watching.

There's my answer...
        sigpic

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

I'm just taking issue with one little detail, whether Enygma has certain feelings for Cobblepot. Stop the teasing...and let's see what's truly going on here, that's all...
          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
            I did not watch last nights episode yet, but I thought the same thing at first last week. I think it is more of a bro-mance though, then anything actually romantic or physical. but we shall see what unfolds on the show
            I think you are right.

Nygma truly admires and likes Cobblepot...but not in the manner Cobblepot wants...that's why I think their close friendship will turn them into enemies...or at the very least, strain their relationship to an extent.
            sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I don't know, I don't watch the show regularly. Comic-wise, I'd say it's out of character for both: Cobblepot has traditionally been something of a womanizer and misogynist, while Nygma seems best-depicted as almost asexual in his obsessions.

Regarding the show, I don't care if some villains are gay--providing those depictions are balanced by gay heroes. If Gotham's Nygma is bisexual and using it to be manipulative, that could make for an interesting story if it's not too cliché. Poison Ivy has overtones of that in some comics/fan speculation.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Very interesting take...not bad...

On a side note, the Mad Hatter is a fantastic villain...great addition to Gotham.
                sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

More on the subject...

Though tonight's episode of Gotham was centered on Jim Gordon trying to take down The Mad Hatter, some fans were no doubt cheering loudest over The Penguin's storyline.
                  sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Hector
                    Very interesting take...not bad...

On a side note, the Mad Hatter is a fantastic villain...great addition to Gotham.
                    Yeah, and is he the same guy that was a Wolf on Walking Dead? The one that tried to get Morgan?
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Holy crap! I didn't notice that until now, wow...thanks...

sigpic

Comment

• YoungOnce
                        Career Member
                        • Aug 29, 2007

I'm a couple of episodes behind, and maybe they have done something in these last two episodes to make it more clear, but even where I'm at, I've noticed this being set up.

I think it's just where we are at these days, as far as trying to "re-imagine" old tv shows, comic books, books and movies. I kind of get tired of folks playing around with established properties. But it's an easy way out to take beloved IPs with an already existing fan base and then just rewrite the histories.

Superheroes are switching genders, races, etc in their books. I guess for kids these days, the new version will some day be the old version, and then they'll reboot everything again. It's gonna be a never-ending assembly line of the "new and improved" to keep interest and sales up. I'd probably prefer that creators come up with their own characters and sell those to the public rather than mess with established icons, but it is what it is.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎