X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.B.
    Guild Navigator
    • Jun 23, 2010

Sears and the N.F.L.

Anyone score some N.F.L. items from Sears back in the day? Told my parents that I wanted a Steelers helmet. They came home with a Raiders helmet.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.
  • Duncan
    Museum focus-groupie
    • Jun 27, 2009

My parents got me an Eagles varsity jacket - green wool & white leather or plastic sleeves. I didn't wear it much, though. For whatever reason, the cool kids in my school wore stuff from other cities' teams. I's like a do-over on not wearing that jacket.

Comment

• rche
      channeling Bob Wills
      • Mar 26, 2008

For Christmas of 78, I received a Sears NFL MX bmx bike in the flavor of the Denver Broncos. Heaviest, ugliest hunk of chrome ever invented. I was hoping for a Roger DeCoster. Ah, well. I rode that clunker proudly with my safety flag flapping away in the wind doing my best to crack the frame by jumping off embankments and over homemade cinder block and plywood ramps.

Comment

• Marvelmania
        A Ray of Sunshine
        • Jun 17, 2001

Yes, a t-shirt, pom pom toboggan, varsity jacket, bulletin board, not to mention those cool helmet goal post sets and helmet buggies (or was that Pennys?) anyway that was one of the first sectioned I'd hit after the toys in the Christmas wishbooks!

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

I definitely had the Staubach helmet and jersey as a kid, but soon traded it in for a real helmet in little league.

Comment

• ScottA
            Original Member
            • Jun 25, 2001

I remember getting a lot of Redskins stuff for Christmas - a peg board, candy, pins, helmet set. Fun stuff.
            sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Makernaut
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 22, 2015

I had a Dallas helmet and jersey, but my set came with a blue jersey and that was kind of odd because Dallas wore (wears) white for Home games and very rarely wore (wears) blue. I remember using my helmet as a pail sometimes when I had to pick up Hot Wheels after dragging them all out.

The NFL was a big deal for me for most of my life. I had a varsity jacket/toboggan combo for Dallas, a "Too Tall" Jones t-shirt, a couple of different jerseys, Cowboys team poster from 1976, a Tony Dorsett poster, stuff like that. I also had a poster with all 28 team helmets, arranged by Conference and Division, NFL sheets, bedspread and curtain set, and a set of cork board thumbtacks that was made up of helmets from all 28 teams.

Sometimes I think about how my sheets had all 28 teams and one of my friends was a bit jealous because his was made when there were only 26 teams. I bet his 26 team set of sheets is more desired by people who collect that sort of stuff today.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                Eloquent Member
                • Jan 19, 2008

I wasn't into sports, so I had none of it. Sports preempted Saturday morning cartoons, and I never forgave them!

Comment

• J.B.
                  Guild Navigator
                  • Jun 23, 2010

Those jersey numbers bring back memories of heroes like Franco Harris and enemies like Staubach, Bartowski, Ferguson, Sweetness (you can't really call him an enemy), Sipe (who Jack Lambert almost killed), Earl “The Pearl” (an absolute beast in his day), Grogan (Icabod Crane lookin' mother..), Snake, Carmichael (got to rock the coolest uni the Eagles ever wore), O.J. (the one that didn't commit double-murder) and Theismann. Those are the ones I could remember from memory. Surprised they didn't go with Largent on the Seahawk jersey.

Comment

• Makernaut
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by J.B.
                    Surprised they didn't go with Largent on the Seahawk jersey.
                    It would depend what year that catalog pic is from. We know it's at least 1976 because of the Seahawks and Buccaneers. Largent, and probably any other player you could point to on the Seahawls, didn't emerge until about 1978. ( I know Largent was there and played in the 1976 season, but he was drafted out of Tulsa via the Houston Oilers and was cut by the Oilers after pre-season).
                    Last edited by Makernaut; Oct 29, '16, 7:46 PM. Reason: correction and addition

Comment

• J.B.
                      Guild Navigator
                      • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Makernaut
                      It would depend what year that catalog pic is from. We know it's at least 1976 because of the Seahawks and Buccaneers. Largent, and probably any other player you could point to on the Seahawls, didn't emerge until about 1978. ( I know Largent was there and played in the 1976 season, but he was drafted out of Tulsa via the Houston Oilers and was cut by the Oilers after pre-season).
                      Think they gave it to Zorn for having the cooler hair.

Comment

• megomania
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jan 2, 2010

You are incorrect sir

Largent was traded to the Hawks in '76 at the end of pre-season. Houston was planning on cutting him. He actually had very good seasons in '76 & '77 despite the NFL being a run-first league at the time. He caught 10 TDs in '77 on only 33 catches and averaged 20 yards p/reception.

Comment

• Makernaut
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by megomania
                          You are incorrect sir

Largent was traded to the Hawks in '76 at the end of pre-season. Houston was planning on cutting him. He actually had very good seasons in '76 & '77 despite the NFL being a run-first league at the time. He caught 10 TDs in '77 on only 33 catches and averaged 20 yards p/reception.
                          Yeah, I was but the word "emerged" was key to my statement. 1978 was the first year he had over 1,000 yards receiving. We're talking about numbers on a uniform and why he would not have had his on one. Also, 1978 was the Seahawks first winning season and that's why I inserted "1978". It's all moot if that ad is from 1976 because they wouldn't have known who's number to put on a jersey. Neither the Seahawks or Largent had played a down at that time and that's the only point I was trying to make.
                          Last edited by Makernaut; Oct 29, '16, 8:59 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

• megomania
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jan 2, 2010

Yeah, I was but the word "emerged" was key to my statement. 1978 was the first year he had over 1,000 yards receiving. We're talking about numbers on a uniform and why he would not have had his on one. Also, 1978 was the Seahawks first winning season and that's why I inserted "1978". It's all moot if that ad is from 1976 because they wouldn't have known who's number to put on a jersey. Neither the Seahawks or Largent had played a down at that time and that's the only point I was trying to make.
                            All good. I was referring to the part about Largent being cut.

Comment

• megomania
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jan 2, 2010

Originally posted by J.B.
                              Surprised they didn't go with Largent on the Seahawk jersey.
                              The majority of the jerseys are QBs so I'm not surprised they went with Zorn.

-Chris

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎