X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
    ^Batman had that annoying Bat-symbol on his head. How could you NOT know that's Batman? Weren't the ears a giant clue?

Chris
    Worse yet, Ben Cooper actually redecorated that mask into Daredevil. Wrong, so wrong.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

When did the Ben Cooper costumes and masks fade out? It seems like there was a period in the early 80's where Halloween became almost extinct because no one was really doing anything on that day. Then it suddenly came back with a vengeance and gradually became as heavily marketed as any other major holiday.

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by MIB41
        When did the Ben Cooper costumes and masks fade out? It seems like there was a period in the early 80's where Halloween became almost extinct because no one was really doing anything on that day. Then it suddenly came back with a vengeance and gradually became as heavily marketed as any other major holiday.
        The Wikipedia Ben Cooper page says the Tylenol scare in the early 80's hurt Halloween and costume sales. Cooper didn't go out of business until 92.
        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Spawn67
          Career Member
          • Aug 14, 2009

That would have been about 1982. I remember how freaked out everyone was over Tylenol and razor blades in candy. I went trick or treating at a local mall when they first started doing that there. We had to take our candy and put it under a x Ray type machine to make sure it was safe. Ironically despite all the hype there were literally hundreds of trick or treaters in our neighborhood.(sadly there's virtually no trick or treaters in my old neighborhood nowdays)...

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Wee67
            The Wikipedia Ben Cooper page says the Tylenol scare in the early 80's hurt Halloween and costume sales. Cooper didn't go out of business until 92.
            Funny, I just spoke to someone with close ties to the Cooper Family and this soft Halloween is totally blamed for their descent.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ You know this is interesting Brian. I remember wanting a Michael Myers mask for the longest of times. And, if memory serves, it wasn't until 1984 that Don Post produced the first ever Myers mask, which I purchased and still have and use to this day. The reason why I bring this up, is because that seem to be the same period when the industry (perhaps in response to this crisis) took aim at a different consumer for the Halloween tradition. And that's when you started seeing more of a latex mask and adult-themed costumes which then got translated to kid sizes. Then the industry exploded and Halloween seem to come back bigger than it had ever been when I was a child. And to a large part that had to do with the fact that now the celebration was no longer just inclusive to kids wearing boxed costumes. Society reinvented the concept and broaden it's appeal to everyone. Just my thoughts. Tragic but perhaps necessary in the evolution of the tradition.

Comment

• cjefferys
                Duke of Gloat
                • Apr 23, 2006

That's weird, I don't remember any kind of Halloween slow down at all, it was always a big deal in our neighborhood.

Comment

• Spawn67
                  Career Member
                  • Aug 14, 2009

I have to agree about Halloween slowing down. Around 1984-mid 90's Halloween slowed down in my old neighborhood. Obviously people still celebrated it and of course there were trick or treaters but not even close to what we had in the 70s through 1983...today of course it's bigger than it's ever been. Ironically as I stated before my old neighborhood has virtually no trick or treaters nowdays and my current neighborhood never has any despite the decorated houses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

I recall the scare impacting Halloween. I know my parents really double-checked my candy, and that's when we started be much more selective about which houses we stopped by. I also seem to recall a dip in the number of decorated houses around that time too. But I do know Halloween continued to be marketed heavily, because my mom managed a Hallmark store back then.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎