• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Legend of Link
    Career Member
    • Jun 12, 2010

Rit Dye Synthetic

Hey all.

I've been working on a project and decided to try something different.
    Ever since hearing this stuff can dye legos, I decided to try it on some Mego pieces.
    Today's examples are Type S trigger hands.
    After dunking them in hot water mixed with a splash of the dye, I let them air dry a little then I rinsed with cold water and this is the aftermath.

It should be noted that after the rinse, I was rough with the wiping process and even tried to scratch them with my fingernail. None of the dye scratched or rubbed off.

I say this is a big win in my book! Goodbye days of painting hands!
    -Sean

http://s1172.photobucket.com/albums/r561/Sgordy199/ <- My Mego Pictures
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Thanks for posting--this looks very vivid and durable.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• boss
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 18, 2003

Looks good. My OCD would make me swap out with red wrist pins.
      Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• darkbros
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 3, 2012

Originally posted by boss
        Looks good. My OCD would make me swap out with red wrist pins.
        I wonder what would happen if you did a complete disassembly of the hands and dyed each piece separate? would they wrist joint and pins then take better to the dye? maybe leave in a bit longer?
        Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
        https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------
        "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• Apjac Corny
          Museum Super Collector
          • Jan 12, 2016

Originally posted by darkbros
          I wonder what would happen if you did a complete disassembly of the hands and dyed each piece separate? would they wrist joint and pins then take better to the dye? maybe leave in a bit longer?
          That's what I do, I dye the joints separately. It's seems like the joints take a bit longer. I don't dye the pins though, too hard to keep track those tiny things in a near boiling pot of dyed water.

Comment

• greensavage2000
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 9, 2013

In cooking when they add spices, bay leaves etc, to stew or such, and they'll want to take them out at the end they wrap the spices in cheesecloth. The cheesecloth is porous enough so it still seasons the dish. This makes it easy to remove them after the dish is done. Maybe wrapping the pins in cheesecloth and tying it up into a loose bag might work.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
              Persistent Member
              • Apr 28, 2013

Strainer...

Comment

• Neutron X
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 22, 2007

Where do you buy this stuff?

Comment

• Neutron X
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 22, 2007

Ok, so I Googled it and Amazon and Walmart showed up as place that sells the Synthetic Rit Dye. I must have missed it at my local Walmart. Anyone tried this with vintage flesh colored Gijoe bodies? I have some customs I have been wanting to do for a long, long, time! Heh heh heh!!!!
                  Here is an old pic using regular Rit Dye on clear 40th Anniversary Joe so I know regular dye works on clear stuff unless formula changed. It was an ABSOLUTE Pain to get this clear 40th figure apart to dye separately so be warned.

Comment

• comicmike
                    Persistent Member
                    • Sep 22, 2009

Originally posted by Neutron X
                    Ok, so I Googled it and Amazon and Walmart showed up as place that sells the Synthetic Rit Dye. I must have missed it at my local Walmart. Anyone tried this with vintage flesh colored Gijoe bodies? I have some customs I have been wanting to do for a long, long, time! Heh heh heh!!!!
                    Here is an old pic using regular Rit Dye on clear 40th Anniversary Joe so I know regular dye works on clear stuff unless formula changed. It was an ABSOLUTE Pain to get this clear 40th figure apart to dye separately so be warned.
                    That looks really wonderful!!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

That looks great!

Comment

• Neutron X
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 22, 2007

Legend of Link, I really like what you have done with the red hands and it's got me to thinking about things I would like to try. So maaaaaaany things! Sorry for hijacking your thread. I have wanted different colored Joe bodies and 12in Mego bodies for customs so now it's "GO TIME" I went to Walmart and found the Rit Sythetic Dye in the craft Isle not the Detergent aisle where the other Rit Dye is found.

I have some beater bodies to experiment on that I have to get ready for the dye. Some of the bodies have to be stripped of paint ect. so it will take me a while before I can get going. I bought green and red dye to try. If anyone has any pointers on dying I will be glad to hear them. I'm thinking of using disposable rubber gloves to help me to avoid getting any dye on my hands ect. cardboard with pencils poked into sides for drying chest hips ect.

The green dye I picked up looks to be a dark grass green this isn't the green I want, anyone know if I could get a more yellow/green color by adding yellow dye to green dye? Do the dyes mix well?

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Neutron X
                          Legend of Link, I really like what you have done with the red hands and it's got me to thinking about things I would like to try. So maaaaaaany things! Sorry for hijacking your thread. I have wanted different colored Joe bodies and 12in Mego bodies for customs so now it's "GO TIME" I went to Walmart and found the Rit Sythetic Dye in the craft Isle not the Detergent aisle where the other Rit Dye is found.

I have some beater bodies to experiment on that I have to get ready for the dye. Some of the bodies have to be stripped of paint ect. so it will take me a while before I can get going. I bought green and red dye to try. If anyone has any pointers on dying I will be glad to hear them. I'm thinking of using disposable rubber gloves to help me to avoid getting any dye on my hands ect. cardboard with pencils poked into sides for drying chest hips ect.

The green dye I picked up looks to be a dark grass green this isn't the green I want, anyone know if I could get a more yellow/green color by adding yellow dye to green dye? Do the dyes mix well?
                          I've looked for it at Walmart, and never found it. I'll check out the craft isle next time I go. Never thought they would have the dyes separate.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎