X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

One Million B. C.--what the ...?

Is this line a head-scratcher for anyone else here? I mean, it's fun and I want that (non-existent) tree-house. But it sure features a lot of new tooling which is unusual for Mego. Zon alone has a crazy amount of unique parts.

Does anyone know if Mego had other plans to utilize the action-lever bodies?
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • Confessional
    Maker & Whatnot
    • Aug 8, 2012

I kinda love it… and not just because they are the ad-hoc human captives needed for POTA, but as you noted; they are really fun and unique.

Someone, somewhere has that damn-cool tribal lair treehouse!…*with new weapons and more sculpted rocks!

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Some Mego employee needs to own up to having that tree-house lol. Meanwhile, the OMBC folks look great in the Lost Continent playset.

I want to make Kamandi from a Zon, but I can't figure out the blond hair...
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• josephcardone
        Persistent Member
        • Jun 10, 2010

I love this line too - basically because my mom found them for next to nothing at Alexanders department store and I had multiples of some of them - they played nicely with the planet of the apes LOL.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I kind of view them as an extrapolation of what they did with the Legends, try to come up with a toy lines that wasn't an expensive license.

So they made Cavemen and Dinosaurs, a popular, evergreen play theme. From what I gather the Dinosaurs sold ok but the figures were peg warmers. I don't actually collect the figures myself but own all the Creatures, i find it weird that i do that.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
            Moderation Engineer
            • Aug 14, 2003

I would love to know why they spent the extra money on the tooling for the bodies. Were things just that good when they were spooling-up? Weren't the legends kinda peg warmey too?

Comment

• palitoy
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
              I would love to know why they spent the extra money on the tooling for the bodies. Were things just that good when they were spooling-up?
              I guess the action feature was thought to boost sales?

Weren't the legends kinda peg warmey too?
              The West and Monsters did OK perhaps because they got caught in "Superhero Fever" in 1974 but the Knights, Robin Hood and Pirates were dudsville.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                Moderation Engineer
                • Aug 14, 2003

"With Mastodon clubbing action!"

Comment

• josephcardone
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jun 10, 2010

If I remember they were not very popular and ended up being discounted heavily (lucky me) - I think the re-tooling may have been a costly mistake for Mego!

Wasn't this around the time of Fonzie and the thumb action feature - maybe they were experimenting with this to add something interesting to the generic bodies.

Spock with a vulcan nerve pinch may have been a good idea - LOL

Comment

• palitoy
                    • Jun 16, 2001

It's not uncommon to find them with those giant Child World clearance stickers.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Isn't it ironic that Mego's nicest figures--knights, pirates, and Merry Men--sold poorly? I have an American West set, but those are some uuugly figures, truly.

I don't have the OMBC dinos yet--$$$. I honestly think Aurora models might suffice, since I have a Lost Continent.
                      Last edited by PNGwynne; Oct 14, '16, 3:51 PM.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

it's funny, as a kid, I only remember ever knowing about the lines for Trek, Apes, WGSH, CHiPs and Dukes....okay maybe the west series since I had Wild Bill and used him as Alfred. I was blown away when I went to a toy show in the mid nineties and saw the Knights and Robin Hood figures. I just had no idea they were ever made. I think the first time I became aware of the OMBC figures was when I saw one in an antique shop in Vermont. At one point I did start trying to collect them but quickly lost interest. they really are ugly figures. great for dumb humans to go with the apes line though

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

I'd say Grok & Zon look the best.

Comment

• Marvelmania
                            A Ray of Sunshine
                            • Jun 17, 2001

They remind me of the cavemen in the Geico commercials.

Comment

• cjefferys
                              Duke of Gloat
                              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              Isn't it ironic that Mego's nicest figures--knights, pirates, and Merry Men--sold poorly? I have an American West set, but those are some uuugly figures, truly.
                              Yeah, I had some of those as a kid (Robin Hood, Little John, Long John Silver and the Black Knight) and thought they were awesome. I would have gotten more, but they weren't on the store shelves very long as I remember. On the other hand, I had no desire for the Western figures, I had the Gabriel Lone Ranger figures which were way better!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎