Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I just read the issue. It's not as bad as it sounds. Bruce immediately retired afterwards, knowing he crossed that line. A few times on the series Batman swore to "all that is holy" that he may do something he would later regret to his enemies...and the creators here cashed that check. Should they have? Maybe not. But this series doesn't really work completely in either universe. It's been a mix of the various comic versions AND both TV series. Ra's Al Ghul is the main villain for instance.

These future stories always have some shocking element to them. This is what they did with this one.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• huedell
      Museum Ball Eater
      • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
      These future stories always have some shocking element to them. This is what they did with this one.
      Alone, that's easy to swallow. I've "been around the block"... I get that trope.

I just read the issue. It's not as bad as it sounds. Bruce immediately retired afterwards, knowing he crossed that line. A few times on the series Batman swore to "all that is holy" that he may do something he would later regret to his enemies...and the creators here cashed that check. Should they have? Maybe not. But this series doesn't really work completely in either universe.
      Admittedly, I've only read these '66 stories from the periphery. From what I've read and what I saw in the movie, the reason West and Ward's likenesses are being used in the first place is to nostalgically follow in that satirical, campy tone, a tone that if there were "guests" within a given '66 comic, they would blend into the comic's tone just as a guest would "blend" on the '66 show. '77 WW/'66 Batman would be such a "guest" type scenario.

I could be approaching this wrong, and, if so, then my POV is moot. I can't say. I'm not a loyal fan of 2016-2017's "1966"
      That said: If they are indeed redefining what "1966" Batman is... I have to wonder, why bother doing the "1966" thing in the first place?

It's been a mix of the various comic versions AND both TV series. Ra's Al Ghul is the main villain for instance.
      If the "including Ra's Al Ghul as villain" means that there's automatically a dryer tone to 1977/1966 run, and it's a good thing... then, okay.

Hey...that's the bottom line... if people like it: That trumps everything IMHO.

THAT said: I look at things like this 1966 run as a chance to revisit the tone of the source material, and add to it's legacy.... akin to good fan-fiction art... but with an "official" release.

And with THAT said: After reading the surprise plot points in that review... I was disappointed...not because of simply being poor writing.... heck, it could be great writing (I haven't read it).

i just thought: I've seen something similar in the "Timm/Dini" Batman (DCAU) material, and that kinda stuff seemed atonal, even for THAT.
      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

I just read the issue. It's not as bad as it sounds. Bruce immediately retired afterwards, knowing he crossed that line. A few times on the series Batman swore to "all that is holy" that he may do something he would later regret to his enemies...and the creators here cashed that check. Should they have? Maybe not. But this series doesn't really work completely in either universe. It's been a mix of the various comic versions AND both TV series. Ra's Al Ghul is the main villain for instance.

Chris
        Its exactly as bad as it sounds, Adam West's Batman would not cross that line. I don't even think that Cesar's Joker would cross that line. Hate to say it but I agree with Hue, if they redefine the character so drastically then why even call it 66 Batman? Even Miller's Batman couldn't quite do in the Joker.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• johnnystorm
          Hot Child in the City
          • Jul 3, 2008

Very bad choice, I can see where the writers were trying to bring the '66 characters into the '70s, but sorry, the '66 Batman would never kill anyone. I see they needed a way for Batman to be out of action leading to Robin becoming Nightwing, but this wasn't it. Sadly, much as it seemed a natural, this pairing of '66 & '77 WW just isn't working. Better they stay in the 60s for future crossovers. I know LSH is coming up, but we'll see how it goes. I'm afraid '66 Batman may have run it's course though.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

It's the trope of these future/alternate stories that the characters act somewhat out of character for drastic things to happen. A very classic Bronze Age Batman killed the Joker in the excellent JLA: The Nail, after he killed Robin and Batgirl. Now, Bronze Age isn't the same as Adam, but the morals are very similar.

I'm not saying I liked this, but I just rolled with hit, because this series (66 meets 77) is really off it's rocker as far as the feel and continuities of the shows feel anyway. I don't think the creators tried hard enough to capture the flavor of either series, and they mixed in way too much comic book stuff that was never on either show.

Had they stuck close to the shows and THEN pulled this, I'd probably have been more upset by it. But as it stands, this in no way colors my memories of either show. It just doesn't fit. Kind of fun, but it doesn't really work that way.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Distressing and depressing--really jumping the shark IMO. It's one '66 HC collection I won't be buying.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

It would have been true to the character if Batman had retired because he failed to save the Joker from dying. This just craps all over the show. If it were to happen to West's Batman, he would have turned himself in and gone to prison. He wouldn't have just retired and hid from his responsibility to the law.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Brown Bear
                  Still Old School
                  • Feb 14, 2008

I'm just buying these for the covers. Glad I didn't read these ones or I would've stopped right there. Do they have to ruin EVERYTHING?!!
                  Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

I won't keep defending this, because I don't really agree with it either, but from the covers you can see that Dick becomes Nightwing in this series. I can't see that happening either. Burt Ward's Robin would remain Robin into old age. This thing just doesn't read as a true sequel to either series, so I guess that's why it didn't offend me like some others.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Then if it doesn't read true, what's the point of it? Hope the LOSH crossover is better than this. The rest of the 66 bat comics did seem more in line with the show, too bad they had to go to the dark side.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

^It's a fun read, but it's not great. Because the creators didn't capture the flavor of either show, in many ways, it is kind of pointless. It reads like more of a mash-up of various continuities of both characters from comics and TV.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎