X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

This shirt is totally wrong.

Shop Mego Ash Grey Men's Baseball Shirt designed by Admin Store. Lots of different size and color combinations to choose from. ✓Free Returns ✓High Quality Printing ✓Fast Shipping
  • comicmike
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 22, 2009

I always called them dolls.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
      Moderation Engineer
      • Aug 14, 2003

MegomanJess says Hello

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

"With any luck, we could sell a DOZEN of them!"

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

I think the term action figure in the general population became popular only in the mid 80's and beyond.

Before that it was dolls.

It's for this reason I usually can tell how old somebody is by how they refer to their playthings

To be honest, me and my buds used to refer to them as "men"

"did you bring over any men ?" .... "yes, I brought Big Jim"

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
            It's for this reason I usually can tell how old somebody is by how they refer to their playthings
            I don't know. I've seen plenty of 60s and 70s kids get really angry if you refer to Megos, Captain Action, Big Jim, Gi Joe, etc. as dolls.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• SKotK
              Career Member
              • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by Mikey
              I think the term action figure in the general population became popular only in the mid 80's and beyond.

Before that it was dolls.

To be honest, me and my buds used to refer to them as "men"

"did you bring over any men ?" .... "yes, I brought Big Jim"
              To me, it seemed the cut-over point was right about early 1978, when the Star Wars action figures finally hit the shelves. Prior to that, even though the term "action figure" had been used to promote Mego/G.I. Joe/Big Jim/etc., most regular people still seemed to refer to them as "dolls". I distinctly remember hearing the words "G.I. Joe dolls" being used to describe the original 12" line. And of course, Mego figures were banned from my toy list by my parents because they were "dolls". But once the new Kenner Star Wars toys hit the shelves, the term "action figure" truly became a household word. Rarely do I remember hearing anyone but old people call the 3-3/4 Star Wars figures "dolls"...although the 12" line still kind of held that association, probably because some of them had cloth clothing and regular "doll" bodies underneath. Once the 12" line had died out, I don't think I heard the word "doll" applied to action figures again.

--SKot
              Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

"Action Figure" was a creation of Hasbro so GI Joe was not marketed as a doll. You see cissies play with dolls.

GI Joe is by every definition a doll, it's just marketing lingo. Sleep tight.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I used to think any figure with a cloth outfit was a doll, and any all plastic figure was an action figure. This was before I learned about GI Joe's marketing team inventing the term.

I used to jokingly make a big deal about it, but I really could care less either way. They are toys.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

I love my dollies. I own a lilac dress-shirt, too. Get over it.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Anecdote: I was getting my Holcomb WGT print matted at my local framery, and an elderly customer was admiring the print and asked if they were like Barbies. I smiled and said, "Yes, just shorter and more poseable."
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Marvelmania
                        A Ray of Sunshine
                        • Jun 17, 2001

Doll or action figure I really could care less what anyone calls them and they really have no right to tell others what to call them. To each their own. Pretty stupid to get angry over such a thing but I've seen people do it time and time again.

Comment

• TrekStar
                          Trek or Treat
                          • Jan 20, 2011

I have a Barbie action figure and a G.I. Joe doll.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                            Anecdote: I was getting my Holcomb WGT print matted at my local framery, and an elderly customer was admiring the print and asked if they were like Barbies. I smiled and said, "Yes, just shorter and more poseable."
                            Awesome!!

Comment

• daz71
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 19, 2014

we used to call them action men even though there was action man we called mego's action men too.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎